The Golden Age of Film Scoring Thread

Jurassic Shark

On 3/3/2021 at 2:20 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

Alfred Newman is my favorite Golden Age composer, but All About Eve is a score I’ve just never clicked with.

Yavar

Fun fact #1: I won my CD of James Horner’s Titanic from Classic FM by correctly identifying the main title music from All About Eve.  It was in the late 90s so I had to send my answer in on a postcard.  I remain convinced to this day that I was the only person listening to the programme (which was very late on a Sunday night) who a) knew the answer and b) bothered to write in.  I remember my Mum being quite excited when she happened to hear my name read out on the wireless.

Fun fact #2: The Titanic CD was scratched and unplayable, so I had to contact Classic FM and ask for a replacement!

😆

1 minute ago, Omen II said:

Fun fact #1: I won my CD of James Horner’s Titanic from Classic FM by correctly identifying the main title music from All About Eve.  It was in the late 90s so I had to send my answer in on a postcard.  I remain convinced to this day that I was the only person listening to the programme (which was very late on a Sunday night) who a) knew the answer and b) bothered to write in.  I remember my Mum being quite excited when she happened to hear my name read out on the wireless.

Ha, ha. I have a similar experience. There was a film music programme on national radio in the early 2000s, and they had a contest at the end where you had to recognize what they were playing. I won it twice in a row, and I think they disbanded it after that. For the first one, I got a T-shirt with the word 'film music' written on it in STAR WARS fonts (plus the channel's logo). For the second, I could select a soundtrack CD of my choosing, and I chose Varese's relatively new release of FIRST BLOOD. Alas, I can't remember what the actual quiz samples were, but they were fairly simple. I don't think they had any other contestants either.

He, he....or they just realized the low interest. They even commented on the fact that the SAME GUY won it again in the programme. Of course, later I've come to know the hosts personally. One of them is now a colleague of sorts.

18 hours ago, Matt C said:

That is my favorite Steiner score -- period. Fun movie too, even if it's not one of Flynn's best.

Don Juan is my favorite Steiner score as well.  I daresay it's actually my favorite adventure film score of the 30s and 40s, with all due respect to Korngold, whose scores I adore as well of course.

The London Processional cue is simple outstanding.

4 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I won TWO McCartney box sets and traded it to Amoeba for $160 credit.

Purchased many soundtracks out of that!😍

The last one was INTERSTELLAR expanded😊

Such a capitalist! You should play the stock market. ;)

I had that DON JUAN album once. Traded it away. It was too long, and too much of the type of Steiner I don't really enjoy (whimiscally all over the place). Great cover art by my ol' friend Jim Titus, though.

10 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Don Juan is my favorite Steiner score as well.  I daresay it's actually my favorite adventure film score of the 30s and 40s, with all due respect to Korngold, whose scores I adore as well of course.

The London Processional cue is simple outstanding.

This Korngoldian score always reminds me of the famous anecdote:

Steiner: Erich, we've both been working at Warners for about ten years now. During that time, it seems to me that your music has gotten worse, whereas mine has gotten better. Why do you suppose that is?

Korngold: That's easy, Steiner. It's because you have been stealing from me and I have been stealing from you!

So I'll do the work, I want to know which are the 6 previously unreleased tracks on this Gerhardt compilation.

Spectacular World Of Classic Film Scores (CD, Compilation) album cover

https://www.discogs.com/Charles-Gerhardt-National-Philharmonic-Orchestra-Spectacular-World-Of-Classic-Film-Scores/release/10262933

1 hour ago, Thor said:

He, he....or they just realized the low interest. They even commented on the fact that the SAME GUY won it again in the programme.

They gave up when they realised you were their only listener.

These are the 6:

1. Universal Pictures Fanfare (McHugh)
  2. Julius Caesar: Overture (Rozsa)
  3. Peyton Place: Original Main Title (Waxman)
  4. The Thing (From Another World): Suite (Tiomkin)
  5. King Of The Khyber Rifles: The Attack On The Mountain Stronghold (Herrmann)
  6. Salome: The Dance Of The Seven Veils (Amfitheatrof)

5 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Peyton Place: Original Main Title (Waxman)

I was tricked by this one, since it's on the expanded Waxman album (from the early 90s), but not on the regular album.

59 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

This Korngoldian score always reminds me of the famous anecdote:

Steiner: Erich, we've both been working at Warners for about ten years now. During that time, it seems to me that your music has gotten worse, whereas mine has gotten better. Why do you suppose that is?

Korngold: That's easy, Steiner. It's because you have been stealing from me and I have been stealing from you!

I say whatever works!

9 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I've got a spare copy of it in good condition. I'll send it to you for free if you send something that interests me in return. :)

I have eveything I need, thanks.

IMG_20210302_151235_973.jpg

BTW, this week I got my 30rd Kunzel CD: Vintage Cinema.

The best 30rd Kunzel albums according to me!

20210304_175518.jpg

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I say whatever works!

I didn't say it isn't great!

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I have eveything I need, thanks.

IMG_20210302_151235_973.jpg

You're in fact missing several of Gerhardt's film score albums. I'll tell you more about them tomorrow. Good night! :wave:

51 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I was tricked by this one, since it's on the expanded Waxman album (from the early 90s), but not on the regular album.

The same seems to be true for Rozsa's Julius Caesar.

51 minutes ago, Bespin said:

It's not on the 12-CD boxset, they could have made a little effort!

I suppose those, like the original 2010 remaster releases, just replicate the original albums, not the expanded Dolby Surround versions.

On 2/10/2021 at 11:34 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

@Nick Parker you should try The Sea Wolf — a very different score by Korngold and I think right up your alley as a Herrmann fan. It showed Korngold would have kicked ass in the noir genre.

Yavar

I wish he did more of those . The swashbucklers he is known for never thrilled me.

4 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Irrelevant 

I HAVE a cdr!

The Gerhardt recordings are great but confusing to make sure one has everything in its best version (if everything he recorded has even all been released). For example if one doesn’t have this album, stuff is missing:

https://www.discogs.com/Charles-Gerhardt-National-Philharmonic-Orchestra-Celebrating-The-Classics/release/3953705

Yavar

6 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I suppose those, like the original 2010 remaster releases, just replicate the original albums, not the expanded Dolby Surround versions.

It's the regular albums that were in Dolby surround, not the two expanded ones.

7 hours ago, Bespin said:

J. R. R. Tolkien quote: And some things that should not ...

Did Tolkien credit Wagner for borrowing from WAGNER' s RING CYCLE.

It's pretty obvious.

😎

😉

8 hours ago, Thor said:

Such a capitalist! You should play the stock market. ;)

I had that DON JUAN album once. Traded it away. It was too long, and too much of the type of Steiner I don't really enjoy (whimiscally all over the place). Great cover art by my ol' friend Jim Titus, though.

Well I didn't buy any Steiner scores with that bounty.

In fact, I've never owned anything by Max.

Granted, I'm not a Golden Ager , but I've enjoyed music by Newman, Waxman, Tiomkin, Rosza.

Not Max.

Nothing he has done appeals to me.

9 hours ago, Bespin said:

That's typical of Sony's budget boxes.

8 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I don't think that track is on any other album.

3 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

The Gerhardt recordings are great but confusing to make sure one has everything in its best version (if everything he recorded has even all been released). For example if one doesn’t have this album, stuff is missing:

https://www.discogs.com/Charles-Gerhardt-National-Philharmonic-Orchestra-Celebrating-The-Classics/release/3953705

Yavar

Yes, that suite from The Fountainhead is 5 minutes longer than the suite on the RCA Steiner album, but the remainder of the tracks seem to be identical to those released on RCA. I don't know if this suite from The Fountainhead is a new recording or just an expanded presentation of the RCA recording.

Prior to his series of albums for RCA, Gerhardt recorded for Reader's Digest. There he recorded both classical music and film music, and while some of the film music tracks have been re-released on CD by Chesky (Hollywood Screen Classics), some remain unreleased. Beware that some of the Reader's Digest recordings have pop-ish arrangements. Highlights on this recording include an extended suite of Kings Row, and the shorter (but still long) suite of Gone with the Wind that was padded out with newly recorded tracks for Gerhardt's Gone with the Wind album.

https://www.discogs.com/National-Philharmonic-Orchestra-Charles-Gerhardt-Hollywood-Screen-Classics-/master/1526175

There's also the nice Varese compilation The Prince And The Pauper, consisting of of bits and pieces that Gerhardt recorded while at RCA, but that didn't fit in on any of the albums in the classic film score series. It includes two JW pieces, Walton's Henry V, and Delerue's Anne of the 1000 Days!

https://www.discogs.com/Erich-Wolfgang-Korngold-Various-The-Prince-And-The-Pauper-And-Other-Film-Music/release/6249826

I was primarily interested in the "film score" RCA Series, not all the career of Gerhardt, but thanks guys!

The case of the longer cut of The Fountainhead is interesting, but I will satisfy myself with the one they put in the boxset.

Today I'll attack this 30rd Kunzel of my CD collection:. 2008, it's surely one of his latest albums, if not the last?

R-7774752-1551267900-3257.jpeg.jpg

2 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I thought the Prince and the Pauper Varese disc was taken from his Reader’s Digest recordings...

Yavar

I'm pretty certain the booklet says it's stuff he recorded for RCA, at least most of it.

57 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I was primarily interested in the "film score" RCA Series, not all the career of Gerhardt, but thanks guys!

Happy to help. At least to me, the collection The Prince and the Pauper on Varese is essential.

A last question about Gerhard re-recordings, the Universal Pictures Fanfare (McHugh), can we use it with a movie released on the 12-CD boxset? I don't see with which movie it could be used.

27 minutes ago, Thor said:

The old RCA suffices for me.

The Prince and the Pauper is the name of the compilation. The track from the film that's included on the compilation is only a few minutes long.

11 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's the regular albums that were in Dolby surround, not the two expanded ones.

The release history of these recordings is way too complicated…

9 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:
17 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I don't think that track is on any other album.

I have it as a file that's tagged as belonging to Spellbound: Classic Film Scores Of Miklos Rozsa. It's not my own rip of the 2010 release of that album, must be something I've downloaded at some point. So it could be mistagged (but it would be a curious mistake).

11 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Did Tolkien credit Wagner for borrowing from WAGNER' s RING CYCLE.

It's pretty obvious.

What are you talking about?

9 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

have it as a file that's tagged as belonging to Spellbound: Classic Film Scores Of Miklos Rozsa. It's not my own rip of the 2010 release of that album, must be something I've downloaded at some point. So it could be mistagged (but it would be a curious mistake).

The Dutton Vocalion release has it as a bonus track. 

9 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

must be something I've downloaded

This one's worth purchasing.

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The Dutton Vocalion release has it as a bonus track. 

This one's worth purchasing.

Well I do have an original of that sampler we were discussing above, so I have an original version of the track. And I have all the 2010 releases. Whenever I downloaded that file, it must have been before those came out, so long before the Vocalion releases, too, I suppose. It's tagged track 16, and the regular album has 15 tracks.

(I also have both the FSM and the Broughton re-recording, so you can't complain the score is underrepresented in my collection)

16 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Whenever I downloaded that file, it must have been before those came out, so long before the Vocalion releases, too, I suppose. It's tagged track 16, and the regular album has 15 tracks.

Then I guess it's just a fan who's added the track to the end of the album.

16 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

(I also have both the FSM and the Broughton re-recording, so you can't complain the score is underrepresented in my collection)

No complaints here. I just said I find The Classic Film Scores of Miklos Rozsa worth purchasing. Regarding Julius Ceasar, I find the Herrmann conducted suite to be all that I need.

If we again talk about the Gerhardt re-recordings, I added 4 of the "bonus tracks" at the end of the albums which they belong to, like they did for the SACD reissues.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

20 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

No complaints here. I just said I find The Classic Film Scores of Miklos Rozsa worth purchasing.

As I said, I have that, too. Although it's one of my lesser played Gerhardts.

Did Rózsa scored movies about other subject than Jesus? Every time I listen to his music, I feel like I’m going to see an apparition! :lick:

26 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Any thoughts about this album?

Film Scores von Kaufmann Richard / Lso / London Voices ...

I really enjoyed this album, well performed and recorded. Guess you can't go too far wrong with the LSO... it's a great companion to the Gerhardt album(although I'm not a super big Tiomkin fan).

The Gerhardt Prince and the Pauper compilation referenced earlier is one I recently unearthed in the bowels of my collection and, as expected, enjoyed it very much. Bit of an odd mixture, although somewhat weighted towards historical epics/dramas, but then it opens with 5 minutes from The Reivers, which doesn't really fit at all. Has a couple of enjoyable outliers such as The Madwoman Of Chaillot by Michael J Lewis, Julie by Leonard Pennario (who I've never even heard of) and Anne Of The 1000 Days by Georges Delerue which I don't know at all.