The Golden Age of Film Scoring Thread

Jurassic Shark

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yes. Raksin, not Raskin. :)

That's what I wrote, Rakskin!

4 minutes ago, Romão said:

That's the one. Get it if you can

It seems already rare... well at least the 2011 re-issue.  It may sound better than the 1991 "old" CD?

I only have the 1991 cd, but it always sounded great to me. All these albums sounded great in their original release, actually. I have no idea if the sound was improved for the re-releases, but I don't there was much room for improvement. They have always sounded great, IMHO

Like Jurassic said, they actually seems to reissue this collection, one by one, in SACD (but I don't care at all about SACD!).

But no panic, the 2011 reissue is on Spotify :-)

I had a high school teacher that lent me the Waxman and the Herrmann albums from that series when I was fifteen, and that really went a long way in cementing my love for film scores. And it was my first exposure to "older scores", let's say

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

And the three Kojian albums...

Oh, those are great too

For Golden Age soundtracks it is good that there exist these suites, but mostly, I have say, I prefer if available complete re-recordings. I am currently listening to the Moscow Symphony recording of Max Steiner's "All this, and Heaven too". If you like Max Steiner strong recommendation.

3 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

For Golden Age soundtracks it is good that there exist these suites, but mostly, I have say, I prefer if available complete re-recordings. I am currently listening to the Moscow Symphony recording of Max Steiner's "All this, and Heaven too". If you like Max Steiner strong recommendation.

I prefer Alfred Newman. ;)

This is an essential Raksin album. Bought it in the 90s; the one you posted earlier seems to be a later edition of the same album with a different cover:

oLxfI_81byIvnSfau4RIjQ6Y-bn9waqnmBqJo-Xy

I also have a great, rare sampler that includes the following. From the 2 LPs that accompanied the Library of Congress book "Wonderful Inventions" -- which served to illustrate two essays -- "Sound Idea: Music for Animated Films" and "David Raksin: A Composer in Hollywood.":

1. "First Kiss" from "Force of Evil"
2. "Bottom of the World" (original uncut version) form "Force of Evil"
3. "Finale" (original uncut version) from "Carrie"
4. "Come With Me" from "Carrie"
5. "Come With Me" (with dialogue) from "Carrie"
6. "Verkehrte Nacht" from "Separate Tables"
7. "It Made Me (sic)" from "Separate Tables"
8. "Unravelled Knight" from "Separate Tables"
9. "Too Soon" from "Separate Tables"
10. "Prologue" from "The Redeemer"
11. "Crucifixion" and "Epilogue" from "The Redeemer"

THE REDEEMER is a favourite of mine.

So I understand this album really goes with the 12-CD Gerhardt boxset (as the original RCA Classic Films Scores Collection).

Are there other albums in this collection?

On 2/2/2021 at 11:17 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

Great purchases, @Fabulin. Would you like to highlight some exerpts?

Of the first 3 CDs of the Gerhardt box, the highlights to me are:

Korngold - Devotion - The Death of Emily Bronte

Korngold - Captain Blood - Overture

Korngold - The Constant Nymph - Tomorrow Op. 33 (although the concert overture written for the premiere of said film is still better)

Tiomkin - Friendly Persuasion - Love Scene in the Barn

Korngold - The Sea Hawk - The Throne Room of Elizabeth I

Steiner - Dodge City

Waxman - Objective Burma

On a different level for me is Hugo Friedhofer's The Sun Also Rises. Magnificent. Fake giant among real pygmies indeed.

17 hours ago, Fabulin said:

(...) Tiomkin - Friendly Persuasion - Love Scene in the Barn (...)

Love Scene in the Barn... Friendly persuasion? Now that's interresting. Is this movie rated PG?

1 hour ago, Fabulin said:

Korngold - Captain Blood - Overture

The Blood overture is a rare case where I think Gerhardt's version is just fine, but not my favourite. His take on Ship in the Night, however…

I had THE CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE once. Didn't care for it, so I sold it. Steiner is very hit/miss to me (more miss than hit), but some good ones here and there. Obviously the classics like KING KONG, the film noirs and that. But I also have a soft spot for THE ADVENTURES OF MARK TWAIN and THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE. The Stromberg rerecordings in both cases.

Stromberg did two re-recordings of Twain. I assume you're referring to the first, shorter recording. ;)

I've never warmed up to King King, but it's part of Naxos Monster Music box that I recently got, so I'll give it another chance.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

Stromberg did two re-recordings of Twain. I assume you're referring to the first, shorter recording. ;)

Yes, the one that is paired with Korngold's THE PRINCE AND THE PAUPER.

Thank you for the recommendations; I will certainly check them out.

In return I recommend Schmitt's Antoine et Cleopatre and La Tragedie de Salome.

I have this recording of the latter and love it (I just thought we were talking about film music specifically in this thread):

https://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDA67599
What recording do you recommend of the former?

Is Nefer-Nefer-Nefer's theme the one that sounds like Hatikvah?

Yavar

2 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

You don't have to "reckon", as it's on the record which cues were written by Herrmann and which by Newman...they each did about half the score (Herrmann did one more cue than Newman), but Herrmann largely used Newman's thematic material (and sometimes outright imitated his style, as in the Main Title), so if it's thematic writing as opposed to action music, you probably like Newman's contribution. The one main thematic exception written by Herrmann is the Nefer-Nefer-Nefer theme, which I do consider a highlight of the score. But (though it took me a few years to warm up to it) I do love the score as a whole, and it's amazing how Herrmann was able to mesh his sound well into Newman's.

Yes, I'm well aware, but since both composers often use the same themes in this score, it becomes harder to know who came up with the thematic material. Merit's theme is most certainly Newman's and Nefer's is clearly Herrmann's. The theme that is introduced in track 2 "The Ruins", for example:

Is probably my favorite from this score and it is used throughout, but I'm not even sure who actually composed it, as both composers make extensive use of it.

I agree that Nefer-Nefer-Nefer is a standout track

Herrmann is my favorite composer of that era by far, but a number of my favorite scores from him are outside the time range that I saw mentioned in the OP. 

Gotta be honest, Korngold practically never does it for me. That thick, busy sound he has just shuts me out. But amid the shroud of string runs, there is a hidden eye of the storm that brings me delight...

Just now, Spider-Fal said:

Hot Take (?): on that rerecording, Deception is the score I like the best

Yes!

Also, if the time band onthis thread was a little wider, it would be me hijacking it into an Alex North appreciation thread. 

18 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

@Nick Parker you should try The Sea Wolf — a very different score by Korngold and I think right up your alley as a Herrmann fan. It showed Korngold would have kicked ass in the noir genre.

Yavar

Thanks for the recommendation!

• 2 weeks later...

Lately, I've been listening to my old Stromberg recording of All About Eve. Good tempo, decent (if not great) playing, and it's nice to have an extended suite of almost five minutes compared to only having the short main title cue. But boy, is Gerhardt's recording of the (extended) main title a better performance.

I have that Stromberg disc. It's great, especially the HUNCHBACK bits! I once had the FSM release of ALL ABOUT EVE too, coupled with LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN, but sold it.

On 2/10/2021 at 3:38 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

I don't have much of Max Steiner in my collection, as he's hit-and-miss with me, but these I had to get.

DonJuanLace.jpg

That is my favorite Steiner score -- period. Fun movie too, even if it's not one of Flynn's best.

Tribute has done some AMAZING film score reconstruction and stellar re-recordings. Stromberg, Morgan and Bonn really invest a lot of time and love into these.

On 2/10/2021 at 11:34 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

@Nick Parker you should try The Sea Wolf — a very different score by Korngold and I think right up your alley as a Herrmann fan. It showed Korngold would have kicked ass in the noir genre.

Yavar

My fave of his- by far!