John Williams' 2021 anniversaries

Jay

John Williams' 2021 anniversaries  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these William's film scores do you most hope to get its premiere release or premiere expansion this year?

• The Secret Ways (60th anniversary)
    • The Rare Breed (55th anniversary)
    • The Plainsman (55th anniversary)
    • JFK (30th anniversary)
    • Sleepers (25th anniversary)
    • I am not interested in any of these scores getting worked on.
  2. 2. Which of these Williams' expansions do you most hope will be either reissued or redone / reworked this year?

• How to Steal a Million (55th anniversary)
    • Penelope (55th anniversary)
    • Not with My Wife, You Don't! (55th anniversary)
    • Fiddler on the Roof (50th anniversary)
    • The Missouri Breaks (45th anniversary)
    • Raiders of the Lost Ark (40th anniversary)
    • Hook (30th anniversary)
    • A.I. Artificial Intelligence (20th anniversary)
    • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (20th anniversary)
    • I am not interested in a new edition of any of these scores.
  3. 3. Which of these Williams' scores that never got an OST album do you most hope will get a new edition this year?

• Family Plot (45th anniversary)
    • Midway (45th anniversary)
    • Heartbeeps (40th anniversary)
    • I am not interested in a new edition of any of these scores.

This poll is closed to new votes

11 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

I understand your need to have your list complete but I think it’s silly to put Harry Potter in this poll when the box set just came out, that’s all.  

8 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Why is Harry Potter in this poll?! Who would vote for that?

I think it's extremely likely that each of the HP scores from the box set will get an individual release.  I don't think it will be in 2021, though, and almost certainly won't be before the box is sold out for good.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I don't think there's any doubt that Mike working with 2021 restoration tech could make new albums for all the old Star Wars and Indiana Jones scores that sound better than any album that's been released from them before.  I wish Disney Records would hurry up and hire him to do so!

Does this mean you know he has not been hired yet? Or might he be working for them behind the scenes now? 

If they've hired him, I have no idea if he'd tell me or not.  If he told me they hired him, I certainly wouldn't share that information with anyone, let alone a public message board

I'am pretty confident that Williams management will ensure that only Mike be allowed to tackle the Indy project. Understandably, I feel Williams wants all his scores represerved and restored properly before he is gone. It's just a matter of red tape and logistics which need to be handled as things happen. 

Now question is will the Indy expansions happen as a box set or as individual releases ? 

51 minutes ago, Amer said:

Now question is will the Indy expansions happen as a box set or as individual releases ? 

Hopefully with all 4 scores in an 8CD box set, but also released simultaneously on digital/streaming as individual scores.

Disney seems to enjoy saturating the market with multiple options with home video, so I'd expect soundtrack releases to be the same.

I would guess Star Wars and Indy expansions will be treated like the Star Wars OST album remasters Disney Records crapped out in 2018 - simultaneously released on physical CD and all the download/streaming sites, vinyls following later.  As individual releases

The Secret Ways (60th anniversary)
The Rare Breed (55th anniversary)
The Plainsman (55th anniversary)

I don't know these scores, maybe it would be better to reconstruct and re-record them?

That belongs in a museum! | FromShanklin

I think a full re-recording of any Williams score would only happen if the interested parties reached out and got his blessing to do so, and I doubt he'd say yes to either of those 3 scores

• 2 months later...

Two anniversaries I missed this month

Happy 45th, Family Plot!  This film opened in theaters on April 9th, 1976.  The film was the final by director Alfred Hitchcock (and his sole collaboration with John Williams).  A score album was never released at the time, but a catalog release sourced from the original scoring elements in the Universal Pictures archives Edited, Mixed and Produced by Michael Matessino was released by Varese Sarabande Records in December 2010.  This remained in print until some time in 2021, after being on sale for $10 for a few years beforehand.

Happy 60th, The Secret Ways!  The film opened some time in April, 1961 and was the sole collaboration between John Williams and director Phil Karlson.  A score album was not released at the time, nor has one been released to date.

The entire film is available free on youtube

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

A score album was not released at the time, nor has one been released to date.

Excellent, another Universal score to add to a future Williams At Universal Collection :P

Seriously though, I've never heard a note of this score. Is the film worth watching to hear the music? 

Wonder if the music elements have survived after all this time... 

I don't know, I've never seen the film or listened to music ripped from it.

The only exception is this Main Title cue via this video - which is a really cool cue!

Yes, it's a great score. Williams' first proper serious score. Love that rhytmic main theme which reminds me of "Duel of the Fates" a bit. Some other great pieces in it too. It's pretty high up on my want list of unreleased Williams.

I don't know if the elements even exist.  No label head or other person in the biz has ever mentioned that they are known to exist in Universal's vaults, that I've ever seen..

• 7 months later...

Well, I completely forgot to bump this thread throughout the year as various anniversaries happened.

But it's interesting to look at the main post and see that only Fiddler got a new expansion this year, and then only Hook and AI got reissues of existing albums, and that's it.

I'll make a new thread about 2022 anniversaries I guess, and maybe I'll maintain it better