WandaVision SHOW Discussion

Jay

I enjoy the MCU and catch every film and will catch every show, but I'm not like rabid or obsessed.  I wish there was a place to talk about it that was both not for weird obsessives and also didn't get bogged down in dumb boring debates (like this forum).

Anyway, WandaVision looks like a lot of fun.  It's got Sy Ableman in it!

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I wish there was a place to talk about it that was both not for weird obsessives and also didn't get bogged down in dumb boring debates

https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudios/

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The first two episodes of WandaVision are really good. Always wanted to see more of these two as they were underused in the movies. And I always wanted them to explore some of the spookier powers of Wanda that were only touched on the films. It looks like this show might expand on that. Also it's a pleasure to finally see Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bethany show their range. This is a really strong start. I'm intrigued.

Karol

What's sad this backlash will probably force Marvel not to ever take any chances. I mean, we've had 23 movies done in certain format. Surely, there is room for something bit different?

But then, I am probably not a person to understand what audience likes. I didn't mind the Mandarin twist in Iron Man 3. In fact that was my favourite thing about the movie. I liked Luke Skywalker in The Last Jedi and I still like Alien 3 with all its faults. Unpredictable is fine, I don't have any urge to go into a movie and know exactly what will happen. It's about the ride and these things are preposterous anyway. The crazier the better. As long as you have some sort of concept, of course.

Karol

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

What's sad this backlash will probably force Marvel not to ever take any chances. I mean, we've had 23 movies done in certain format. Surely, there is room for something bit different?

It has a 95% on RT. My understanding was that critics have been eating it up!

34 minutes ago, KK said:

It has a 95% on RT. My understanding was that critics have been eating it up!

Doesn't count. I don't trust these anymore. Been burned too many times.

Karol

Neither do I, at least when it comes to quality check. But I haven't heard anything personally about a backlash.

I'm not much a fan of this show so far, but I can acknowledge its success critically and through audience reception around the web. 

9 hours ago, Jay said:

A lot of people these days can't get being slow pacing. 

These kids today!

Is it slow-paced, though? Each episode feels relatively brusque, like it was over in five minutes with only a handful of things happening. 

You're talking about a different thing than I am.  You're talking about the specific episode story's pacing, which I wasn't commenting on (and I agree were not slow paced)

I was talking about the "big story" being slowly doled out, just little hints within each of the first 2 episodes.

We watched episode 3 this morning.  Definitely the best episode yet!  Maybe less funny than either of the first two, but the way they expertly transitioned from the fake sitcom into the real world stuff in the last 5 minutes or so was great!

So I guess the show isn't all in Wanda's head, she's built a physical neighborhood and trapped other people in there with her, and now the Captain Marvel friend daughter lady has been kicked out.  I guess the "Wanda, who is doing this to you?" voice was because SWORD *thinks* Wanda is in there against her will, but I think the fact that she rewinds time anytime Vision gets close to figuring out what's up means she's really in control.

I still think Kathryn Hahn will end up being a bad guy, I've thought so as soon as she had her first scene

On 1/22/2021 at 11:15 PM, crocodile said:

Doesn't count. I don't trust these anymore. Been burned too many times.

When did you think RT was way off? Tenet?

I'm loving WandaVision. It's a wonderful tribute to the classic sitcoms of the 20th century. The main storyline can take as long as it wants to get into gear, for now I'm just getting a kick out of Olsen and Bettany's wonderful chemistry and excellent comedy work. I could watch Kathryn Hahn ham it up for days. The little crumbs of not-quite-right are increasingly unsettling and a great mood.

I'm almost dreading the "real world" stuff, I can only imagine it'll be stock-standard Marvel/SHIELD drama. 

Stopped watching WandaVision after 7 minutes. I don't like that Disney wants to go backwards with TV. I'm too much for progress, to go to places TV has never been before.  Disney+ seems to be the opposite of that. Soon they be telling us a woman's place is in the kitchen. 

7 hours ago, AC1 said:

Stopped watching WandaVision after 7 minutes. I don't like that Disney wants to go backwards with TV. I'm too much for progress, to go to places TV has never been before.  Disney+ seems to be the opposite of that. Soon they be telling us a woman's place is in the kitchen. 

The sitcom set-up is a framework for what's going on in the show - which appears to be megapowered Scarlet Witch reconciling her trauma re: Vision, and some nefarious component utilizing her powers or experimenting on her in some way, potentially some heroic component attempting a rescue.  The regression isn't sincere - the cracks start to show in the first ep.

The episodes also progress through different sitcom decades - episode 1 is 50s-style, episode 2 is 60s-style, episode 3 is 70s-style.

That said, if it isn't for you, it isn't for you!

We like it a lot too.  It's fun and funny, and the little hints they give to a bigger picture are quite intriguing

Yeah, the performances are great here.  Good chemistry between the leads and the featured cast.  Neat to see the way the actors subtly change their performances as eras change.  I wonder if they'll have Olsen (or the twin kid characters) lampoon her sister's work on Full House in some way as we get into the 80s and 90s over the next few weeks.

I had no idea Paul Bettany could be so funny!  His antics when "drunk" on gum were hilarious

Elizabeth Olsen I've known was super talented since seeing Martha Marcy May Marlene in the theater in 2011

Agreed, Bettany's routine during the magic show was hilarious!  He definitely has a wide acting rage, especially in contrast to his creepy albino character in DaVinci Code.

Very solid episode 4.

So far I'm really happy with my Disney+ subscription. Not only do you get all their content and Blu-ray/DVD extras to enjoy but now they're about to expand their catalogue to adult content as well (Fox movies etc). And judging by both The Mandalorian and WandaVision their shows definitely hold quite well against their movie franchises. Well, they might be even better than the cinema outings in some respects.. Seems quite worth the money.

Karol

31 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Yoooo Vision’s lifeless reanimated robot body was creepy as hell!

Yeah bit of a bad decision to stay up til 3 to watch ;)