R.I.P. Christopher Plummer (1929-2021)

Bespin

I rewatched Dolores Claiborne few weeks ago, Mr. Plummer had an interesting role in that movie.... In Somewhere in Time too.

36 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

A great album.

I still like Carl Davis' interpretation of the suite best, but the Marriner recording has a lot of additional material, and Plummer's narration is exquisite. According to Wikipedia, Plummer himself was involved in "arranging" the music, together with Marriner. I expect it just means he perhaps helped chose the pieces and likely where to put narration, but it still means he was more involved in the project than just narrating it.

10 minutes ago, Romão said:

I was not familiar with this album. I've just bought it, sounds fantastic. 

Check out their three other Walton albums!

25 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I still like Carl Davis' interpretation of the suite best, but the Marriner recording has a lot of additional material, and Plummer's narration is exquisite. According to Wikipedia, Plummer himself was involved in "arranging" the music, together with Marriner. I expect it just means he perhaps helped chose the pieces and likely where to put narration, but it still means he was more involved in the project than just narrating it.

Well, the extended suite conducted by Marriner was arranged by Christopher Palmer. :)

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Check out their three other Walton albums!

The only film music album I have by Walton is this one:

71NyR6CS6ZL._AC_SL1283_.jpg

But clearlt I need to explore it more

26 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Well, the extended suite conducted by Marriner was arranged by Christopher Palmer. :)

True, it may just be a mixup by the Wikipedia author. They seem to go on to claim that Plummer (or perhaps Marriner, and it's just badly worded) also arranged Mendelssohn's Midsummer Night's Dream for a performance with Marriner, but in both cases they cite this Marriner obituary, and I can't find any of their claims there.

27 minutes ago, Romão said:

The only film music album I have by Walton is this one:

That's the one I've had since the early 2000s. Best Henry V recording I know, but it's just a short suite (although with the choir, which is dropped from most other recordings I've found online).