John Williams original composer on Titanic????

Pelzter

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I see your bet, and raise you one Gift of a Thistle.

I haven't seen the film or heard the score to Braveheart - strangely it's a film I've never been compelled to watch.

It takes its time.

Again, it’s the kind of confidence that you don’t see anymore in films, which makes it all the more rewarding now.

Horner's score (wonderful) benefits from this enormously.

On 7/7/2003 at 2:16 PM, Hlao-roo said:

Actually, although part of my post was sarcastic and critical of Cameron's production (the brazen unoriginality of the story), I really do think more highly of Cameron's movie.

Catherine Zeta-Jones, George C. Scott, and even Tim Curry (who's usually at his best when he's playing the smarmy, duplicitous villain) were all at top form, but I never felt the movie really coalesced -- just a lot of diverting sub-plots. I appreciated the 1997 movie's sharper focus, as well as the superior action staging..

A better written script and maybe a somewhat compressed running time would have done wonders to Cameron's movie for me..

The script is the biggest liability. It is essentially a teenage level YA script. 

But the technical accomplishment of the movie is hard to argue with. It is absolutely a technical marvel. And the score is stirring indeed.

23 minutes ago, publicist said:

Titanic is just that decade's Dr. Zhivago.

Good comparison, actually.

I actually rather dislike “romantic epics”, including Zhivago, so that I like Titanic at all (and I like it a lot, actually) is really a testament to the quality of its construction.

Jarre’s Lara’s theme is the kind of tune that’s memorable and infectious, but NOT in a good way. I don’t feel the same about Horner’s score, though. It hits me in the feels.

Titanic has a proper score. Zhivago is just Lara's theme applied like ketchup. Its a very treacly theme - maudlin in the extreme. Jarre arguably had a superior main theme as heard in the main title but that is chucked to the side for the kitsch of the Lara's theme which appears nearly in every scene - or that is what it seems like.

3 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Jarre arguably had a superior main theme as heard in the main title but that is chucked to the side for the kitsch of the Lara's theme which appears nearly in every scene - or that is what it seems like.

The main title of Zhivago is wonderful. I wished that theme appeared more on that score, as the repetitions of Lara's theme got very repetitive after a while.

About Titanic, anyone else here is a fan of Old Rose's theme, and wished Cameron used it more on the movie? I love how, on this track, Old Rose's theme, on 1:04, transitions into the Adventure/Lovett theme, at 1:33:

The performance of the theme here, starting on 1:32, is extremely touching, and reminded me of the music Horner would write for Deep Impact, Bicentennial Man and A Beautiful Mind a few years later:

Like the main title theme of Zhivago, it could've been used more often on the final cut of the movie. 

I never thought of that bit as Old Rose's theme! And I think what you are calling the Adventure theme is the ship's theme.

That reminds me - is there a detailed and comprehensive theme breakdown of Titanic anywhere? I've been looking for it.

Just now, TheUlyssesian said:

I never thought of that bit as Old Rose's theme! And I think what you are calling the Adventure theme is the ship's theme.

I always imagined that theme was meant to accompany Old Rose's scenes on the present, so I associated it with her. I don't know if I'm right though, since her scenes on the actual movie are scored mostly with tracked stuff.

And you're right, that's the Titanic theme, my bad, lol.

The score's selling points, the *oirish* main theme, the song melody and the Enya impersonation, i cannot listen to anymore today. It's a truly foul work (which i fully blame on Cameron's dubious musical tastes) and while i certainly not would want a more conventional score by Williams, i would have hoped for a Horner along the lines of the nautical ship theme, the only theme that doesn't sound like elevator/pop award show tunes.

On 7/5/2003 at 7:21 PM, Stefancos said:

This is old news....very old news.

Williams was definatly considered, they probably asked him, but for some reason he never did it.

Horner's score is 100% perfect for the film.

Stefancos- :)

It’s so weird seeing posts by young Steph where he’s actually just participating and stuff. 

2 hours ago, publicist said:

The score's selling points, the *oirish* main theme, the song melody and the Enya impersonation, i cannot listen to anymore today. It's a truly foul work (which i fully blame on Cameron's dubious musical tastes) and while i certainly not would want a more conventional score by Williams, i would have hoped for a Horner along the lines of the nautical ship theme, the only theme that doesn't sound like elevator/pop award show tunes.

Awww man, dont ya like titanic? 

3 hours ago, publicist said:

The score's selling points, the *oirish* main theme, the song melody and the Enya impersonation, i cannot listen to anymore today. It's a truly foul work (which i fully blame on Cameron's dubious musical tastes) 

Don't you think its soulful, Pub?

3 hours ago, publicist said:

The score's selling points, the *oirish* main theme, the song melody and the Enya impersonation, i cannot listen to anymore today. 

Same 'ere. Everything else though, including the Southampton theme and all the suspense/action/sinking music, I still very much enjoy, when I occasionally revisit (rare).

52 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Don't you think its soulful, Pub?

I tried again with the LLL release and it was as awful as i remembered it (dynamic stuff excluded, but i can get that from a hundred of his others). And i'm usually much more patient with Horner than with anybody else.

2 minutes ago, publicist said:

And i'm usually much more patient with Horner than with anybody else.

Yet you hate Living In The Age Of Airplanes, which is is pretty much a sampler of all of Horner's stylistic traits.

I don't hate it, i find it merely superfluous and overly 'commercial', like the Avatar score, though that is a good deal more ambitious in scope. Tbh, all this was already developed in 'Mighty Joe Young' and it's still the best example.

Cameron was aware of Horner's recent streak of epic-ness and, like everyone else, did take notice of the 'For the Love of a Princess'-ness of Braveheart. So i'd take the whole Williams angle with a grain of salt, it's unlikely that Cameron's musical 'vision' would have meshed with Williams' working habits. 

Mike Gorfaine probably guessed as much when he slipped Horner that script.

When I first heard TITANIC, in December, 1997, it took me one listen to declare that it would win both Best Score, and Best Song.

Personally, I like it. It's not the acme of film scoring, neither is it RC drek. In any event, it's Horner's last truly great score.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

When I first heard TITANIC, in December, 1997, it took me one listen to declare that it would win both Best Score, and Best Song.

Personally, I like it. It's not the acme of film scoring, neither is it RC drek. In any event, it's Horner's last truly great score.

No, that was a AVATAR. But TITANIC is still a masterpiece film and score.

The lasting legacy of the Titanic score for me is the tragedy theme. I would declare it one of the top 5 of top 10 themes of the past 25 years. 

It is a very simple theme in which Horner found the expression of a truly devastating incident that still haunts the world. It is used sparsely in the film but it is one of those insta-memorable themes. I swear play it for someone who hasn't seen the film and heard the soundtrack and they would know it after listening to it once.

Horner has written more beautiful themes but it is Horner's most impactful theme - his claim to fame and what he should be remembered for. And the reason he probably won the Oscar. 

From the moment you hear it in the main title, you know it is a great piece of music.

20 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Horner has written more beautiful themes but it is Horner's most impactful theme - his claim to fame and what he should be remembered for. And the reason he probably won the Oscar. 

And i might add, it's the living proof why film score fans are as useless as Oscar voters when it comes to choose what's best.

For all the crazy success Titanic brought Horner, there’s no evidence that he knew what a gargantuan hit his score would be, is there? I always imagined he treated the gig like any other.

I think he might’ve had an inkling. At least he was smart enough to secure a contract that guaranteed him $1 per each soundtrack sale, which ended up netting him $20 million or so from score sales alone. 

2 hours ago, MikeH said:

I think he might’ve had an inkling. At least he was smart enough to secure a contract that guaranteed him $1 per each soundtrack sale, which ended up netting him $20 million or so from score sales alone. 

Ironically, used Titanic CDs sell for $1.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2020 at 1:33 AM, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Ironically, used Titanic CDs sell for $1.

This is quite true.  I bought Titanic at a charity shop here in South London for a mere £1 this weekend!

On 1/28/2020 at 4:02 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

The Zorro scores called...

On 1/26/2020 at 6:18 AM, Brundlefly said:

I am not a fan of James Horner at all, so I don't have to grapple with his cheesy music or gooey songs or constant plagiarism. I wished Williams or Goldsmith had written the score to Titanic, because it would have been much better in every regard (but it's also hard to do much worse than Horner).

Seriously idiotic ramblings above. 

Titanic bashers are so sad.

On 1/27/2020 at 1:07 PM, Thor said:

No, that was a Amazing Spiderman. But TITANIC is still a masterpiece film and score ans the score to Avatar.

Fixed it for you

2 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Titanic bashers are so sad.

This!

Also, Cameron said to James Horner: no violins! I can't imagine he actually thought about John Williams if he had a clear vision of a score without violins.

Anyone else likes Titanic more for the action music (Hard to Starboard, A Building Panic, Trapped on D Deck, The Sinking, Death of Titanic) than for the love theme that Celine Dion managed to render it insufferable?

The material for the whole sinking sequence contains some of the best action music Horner wrote. But the Rose and Jack music... clearly designed to be a pop hit, like almost all of Horner's love themes. 

On 1/26/2020 at 3:21 PM, Chen G. said:

If I were to recut Titanic I would remove maybe two or three minutes off it’s running time, at the most.

I love that the movie is patient, confident and takes its sweet time. Filmmakers today don’t have the balls to edit like this.

It needs more explosions!

It mostly needed getting rid of that cutaway back to the framing device halfway through the movie. Cameron had balls of steel making this film the way he did, but I can't help but feel he lost it for a moment when he felt compelled to reassure his audiences that the sinking is coming up soon.

Otherwise, fucking fantastic.

"That was the last time Titanic ever saw daylight."

That scene is basically James Cameron reassuring his audience: "don't worry folks, I know you've been in your seats for quite some time, and I suppose its getting a bit cheesy, but just a little bit more and we'd get to the sinking!"

Takes me out of the story for a little bit.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Anyone else likes Titanic more for the action music (Hard to Starboard, A Building Panic, Trapped on D Deck, The Sinking, Death of Titanic) than for the love theme

WAY more, in my case