Do you think King Kong (2005) is a masterpiece?

Bellosh

Do you think King Kong (2005) is a Masterpiece?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Is King King (2005) the film a masterpiece?

2. 2. Is King King (2005) the score a masterpiece?

3. 3. Is King Kong (2005) the greatest remake ever?

1. No

2. no

3. no

It could stand to lose an hour and trim quite a few characters. JNH’s score is good considering the short time he had to score but I would really love to hear Shore’s score.

Well I answered James Newton Howard score is a masterpiece, because it's the only memorable thing from this useless remake.

The score even won the Stinker Award for the most intrusive score... I mean, respect! :lol:

But I'm more King Kong '76, movie and score...

40 minutes ago, crocodile said:

No, no and no. However, I do like the film for the most part and the score as well.

Karol

This. 

There’s a very good film in there somewhere I think but it’s just too drawn out. I think it looks great and there are some great performances in there too. It’s just too damn long. 

JNH did a great job in a short space of time. 

It’s better than the 76... thing. 

3 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

Depressing as in it made you sad?  Or the execution was 'depressing?'

The title character and hero of the movie dies an inglorious death at the end. It was a very sad ending for me at the time, because I was accostumed with happy endings.

3 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I think we know King Kong dies at the end... eh... since 1933.

I didn't. I was only 12 when the 2005 movie came out, and I haven't watched either the 76 or the 33 version (still haven't to this day, lol).

14 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

The 1976 version is obviously the best 

Yes because we really believes there's a sexual tension between Jessica Lange and Kong. That's almost... disturbing!

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

Well, he didn't die at the end of Kong: Skull Island, and presumably won't die either in Godzilla vs Kong, unless the big lizard finishes him.

FAKE!

21 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I think we know King Kong dies at the end... eh... since 1933.

But I think it's handled with grace here. Everyone knows the ending, but it's still rather affecting in the 2005 film.

7 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

The movie is watchable.

The score is listenable.   

You must learn to respect less gifted composers when they deliver their best! They can't all be John Williams! :nono:

39 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The performances are the worst part of the movie.   Not one person seems right for the movie.  Just embarrassing work from every actor involved 

I agree 100%. Jack Black? The guy playing Jack with the giant schnoz couldn't have been more dull. The cast of King Kong (2005) perform Algebra II. This was also improved in the Universal theme park ride, which has none of the characters from the movie except Kong and the other monsters and replaced the people with an irreverent truck driver from Texas, a hot chick and various other people with guns. It's a frapping monster movie for Christ's sake.

No/no/no. It's a mostly very good film though and one of JNH's best scores. The "best remake" bit is rather hard to judge, considering so many great film classics are remakes where I don't necessarily know the earlier versions, but I seriously doubt it.

No to all.

I like a lot of things about the film, but overall it's just got too much Peter Jackson in it for my tastes. The length, the slow-mo, and the melodramatic performances hurt it for me. Serkis and the VFX team did knock it out of the park with the titular character, though.

I really, really like the score. I wouldn't quite use use the word "masterpiece," but it's very effective in the film and very enjoyable on album. Lots of stylistic range here - jazzy stuff, action music, tender interludes, suspenseful material, etc. - but it's still a cohesive experience.

As far as remakes go, a few of my favorites are The Parent Trap, Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey, The Mummy (the Brendan Fraser one), and The Force Awakens.

5 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Remember when Peter Jackson was adored on this forum and very few people such as myself dared to accuse him of being more boring than Algebra? When the hell did that change?

There seems to be some nerdy statute of limitations on when people feel they're allowed to say what they really think about the works of the geek gods.

2 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Remember when Peter Jackson was adored on this forum and very few people such as myself dared to accuse him of being more boring than Algebra? When the hell did that change?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I've always found his work to be an odd mixture of the dazzling and the dreary. Then again, I've really only seen LOTR and Kong, I guess.

9 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I actually like King Kong more than the LOTR movies.

Fellowship is the only one I really like. TTT and ROTK I've always sorta dozed off at after seeing them both once.