Do you think King Kong (2005) is a masterpiece?

Bellosh

Do you think King Kong (2005) is a Masterpiece?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Is King King (2005) the film a masterpiece?

2. 2. Is King King (2005) the score a masterpiece?

3. 3. Is King Kong (2005) the greatest remake ever?

I saw the film in theaters when it came out and thought it was fine.  Don't remember any specific criticisms or praise I had for it, though I do remember feeling like it was on the slow / long side.

I've never been compelled to watch it again since.

I don't know JNH's score.  I don't remember it from the movie and I don't think I've ever listened to the OST album or session leak

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't know JNH's score.  I don't remember it from the movie and I don't think I've ever listened to the OST album or session leak

Wow, you're in for a real treat whenever you get around to listening it.  I kind of envy you having that to look forward to.

On 2/7/2021 at 5:32 PM, Bellosh said:

I'm just glad Peter Jackson made this film before he hit 'Maximum Burntout' with those Hobbit films.

Kind of doesn't count, but I like the fanedit of The Hobbit that edits it down into one pretty good movie more than King Kong.  I don't know if it's so much that he burnt out going into Hobbit as the behind the scenes drama that unfolded.  He went into LOTR (and King Kong too, I'm sure) with a lot of preproduction.  The execution of The Hobbit movies being such a mess is because 1) all the stakeholders wanted milk the franchise for everything it was worth and put out three movies instead of one or two and 2) because of that reason, Guillermo del Toro walking away from the movies and Jackson having to scramble to ready three movies the size of LOTR but without the same amount of preproduction. 

A shortened preproduction is also why TROS was a mess.  Not the only reason, but might be the biggest one.

I felt the same way about King Kong as you, Jay - it was nothing special, and the first act dragged.  Any other disappointment I had was square in the "why didn't the LOTR guy do something as good as LOTR" category.

I actually watched Jackson's King Kong one time after theaters, in the contractually mandatory Extended DVD Edition.  Counterintuitively given my initial gripe, I actually enjoyed it more in this version - although that may have been a mix of lowered expectations and the ability to pause the thing to get a snack and go to the bathroom.

I'll never get the love for the score, unfortunately, but I gave it lots of chances.  I think it's good*, with the footnote at the bottom of the page reading *for a JNH adventure score.

3 hours ago, Oomoog the Ecstatic said:

The worst part about King Kong (2005) is that it existed, but also the acting was pretty bad. The best character was Bruce Baxter, when he put up his room posters.

I found Naomi Watts brillant, as always.

• 1 month later...

2005 Kong almost had a sequel, directed by the guy from Godzilla vs Kong:

“Godzilla vs. Kong” marks a massive jump into VFX-driven filmmaking for director Adam Wingard, but it turns out his indie-to-studio-tentpole transition was originally set to take place nearly 10 years ago. And not only that, but it was going to take place as Peter Jackson’s planned sequel to his 2005 “King Kong” remake. Jackson became interested in Wingard as buzz took off for the filmmaker’s breakthrough horror film “You’re Next.”

“I think in a lot of ways, the reason for [me not having to do a pitch for ‘Godzilla vs. Kong’], we have to travel back in time to 2013 or so when ‘You’re Next’ was about to come out in theaters,” Wingard recently told /Film. “Somehow, Peter Jackson had seen an early version of ‘You’re Next,’ and he was interested in me directing a sequel to his ‘King Kong’ film.”

Wingard continued, “It was just going to be called ‘Skull Island.’ Simon Barrett was going to write it. Mary Parent, who runs Legendary now and produced this movie, was on board with that. But this movie was set up at Universal, and the ‘King Kong’ rights somehow ended up at Warner Bros. That movie went to the wayside, and so did I. In a long roundabout way, I think getting that vote of confidence from Peter Jackson stuck in Mary Parent’s mind.”

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/04/peter-jackson-king-kong-sequel-adam-wingard-1234627542/

It's fine. 

On 2/7/2021 at 11:09 PM, Edmilson said:

The score is certainly a masterpiece. One of JNH's very best.

I remember watching the movie in theaters in 2005, and although I had fun with the action scenes, I thought the ending was really depressing.

Yeah, and so unexpected, too, right? 

2 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

It's actually quite endearing, had the journey to the island alone not been stretched into a whole episode of Gilligan's Island. 

And the part on the island not a mix between Cannibal Holocaust and Jurassic Park III. 

2 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Yeah, and so unexpected, too, right? 

Again, I was 12 years old when I watched Jackson's movie, and I hadn't watched any of the previous Kong movies. There's no way I could've known he dies at the end because I wasn't aware of the 33 or the 76 movie.

The original Mighty Joe Young is the best Kong film.

Not saying that to be a wacky contrarian, just forever bummed that never comes up in conversation of this ilk.

(The remake with the Horner score’s ai’ight)