James Horner's THE JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN (1985) - Disney Records 2021

Jay

This is a straight reissue of the OST album James put together in 1985 that wasn't released then (tracks 1-12), but first premiered by Intrada in 2009 with four bonus tracks (tracks 13-16) and quickly sold out

500x500bb.webp

1 Main Title (1:57)
2 Leaving (3:21)
3 Freight Train (2:45)
4 First Love (3:31)
5 Into Town (2:32)
6 Goodbye (2:22)
7 Rustling (3:07)
8 The Forest (2:01)
9 Early Morning (1:45)
10 Getting There (1:14)
11 Farewell (3:23)
12 Reunion – End Title (5:10)

13 Locked Up (3:12)
14 Hotel Escape (1:54)
15 Riding The Rails (1:29)
16 To Seattle (3:18)

TOTAL TIME - 43:01

https://open.spotify.com/album/1q1dK4R8NIh4VKvPx3c3Ls?si=G2iWy8MPSOaLc-FCXJLn2w

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLulDxjWlIykyTrwi4cXcLBlhbpFjYvaPe

https://music.apple.com/us/album/journey-natty-gann-original-motion-picture-soundtrack/1550747616

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08VDQ48FM/

https://tidal.com/browse/album/171984124

https://us.7digital.com/artist/james-horner/release/the-journey-of-natty-gann-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-14593186

Hopefully Intrada could still do a complete & chronological edition someday (the entire score is about 65 minutes IIRC)

New Horner fans are far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far more likely to want to stream or buy this digitally than invest in a physical CD.

CDs are for old fans of film music, not new fans of film music

Just now, Smeltington said:

Take the A Train too obvious?  ;)

Gotta show off my obscure Ellington knowledge for the 0 people who would be pleased by it.

I see your Mystery Train and raise you one Memphis Train

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

The time has come:

Man I consider myself an XTC fan and that's the one album that I just can't get into completely.  Outside of "All You Pretty Girls" at least which is just undeniable.

It may be the XTC album I reach for the least often, even though I still like the whole thing. Sometimes it's more interesting than it is enjoyable. The track I shared is a good example, it doesn't completely come together as a song, but the production fascinates me, and probably couldn't have happened at any moment in time except 1984.

2 hours ago, publicist said:

It also included the wonderful rejected score from The Scarlet Letter. 

That score for me is Elmer's greatest from the last quarter century of his life! And for that matter it's definitely on my top 5 from his entire career.

Yavar

This old fart would like a physical CD.  It was announced the day after I started a vacation and was sold out before I returned home and finally got back online.

While it’s been years since I read a physical book (them e-books allow for bigger font size for my bad eyes), I still prefer little silver discs for music and movies.

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

Don't forget LAST MAN STANDING, which is my favourite of the rejected Bernstein efforts.

I owned that once, bought it for 6 kr at Free Record Shop because the booklet was water damaged and as a result the pages were "glued" together. I wasn't very impressed and sold it.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I owned that once, bought it for 6 kr at Free Record Shop because the booklet was water damaged and as a result the pages were "glued" together. I wasn't very impressed and sold it.

Doesn't sound like a very impressive CD package, no. But the score is great.

20 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Does it have good train music?

To answer my own question, the scores does indeed have good train music.

19 hours ago, Smeltington said:

Take the A Train too obvious?  ;)

It's too good.

20 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Good train music

Gotta love early Ellington. Btw, the count says hi.

• 5 months later...

Sorry for bumping an old thread. I’ve been listening to this one a lot lately on Spotify. I just adore it. The Americana precursor to Horner’s Land Before Time. Just chalk full of beauty and joyful themes. 

That is all.

5 months is not an "old thread" by any stretch. Not need to apologize or even mention it! 

And yea, cool score! I'd love a complete edition 

30 minutes ago, Jay said:

5 months is not an "old thread" by any stretch. Not need to apologize or even mention it! 

And yea, cool score! I'd love a complete edition 

Is there a ton of unreleased music? I’ve never seen the film.

Horner usually did a terrific job of getting all the highlights on his initial album releases. 

(EXCEPT Willow …I’m waiting on you Intrada…😠)

Nah, I don't think there's a lot. The Intrada/Disney Records edition already has extra cues added at the end of his original album program (everything after track 12), but I don't think those were the only cues that weren't in the album program. 

I haven't seen the movie either, but I recently randomly found out that the star is now Patton Oswalts wife

I'll see it eventually - I want to see every film Horner scored after I finally see every film Williams scored (52 films left to go on that project)