Do you think Godzilla (2014) is a masterpiece?

Edmilson

Do you think Godzilla (2014) is a masterpiece?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Is Godzilla (2014) the film a masterpiece?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is Godzilla (2014) the score by Alexandre Desplat a masterpiece?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Is Godzilla (2014) the greatest remake ever?

• Yes
    • No
    • It's close
    • It's really close

Sadly, no to all. But KOTM exceeds and excels upon it in almost every way. It's largely a dry husk of a movie whose only real accomplishment is its introductory world building and the wonderful recreation of the title character, largely as an amalgam of various incarnations from the Toho films. But again, Dougherty improved even on that by giving him an impressive upgrade in design. Nevertheless, he's magnificent in '14, although scriptwise he feels awkwardly shoehorned in, as if it's a re-appropriated script. He's essentially the main character in KOTM though!

I really enjoy parts of Desplat's score. Album could use a trim maybe. Lacks the enthusiasm of McCreary's score and the lush thematic elegance of Arnold's. 

A film with moments of greatness but overall lots of poor, baffling decisions -- the relative lack of Godzilla itself, constantly cutting away when something interesting starts to happen, the premature exit of Cranston's character, the dull as dishwater protagonist who replaces him, etc.

No

No

its close.

A very well done entry that more than makes up for the disaster that was the 98 debacle. 

Desplat’s score is a favorite of mine that is only missing a great theme for Godzilla. But as far as production values go, miles ahead of the Japanese films. 

While killing off Cranston was a mistake, the tension and buildup for sequences / set pieces works. Yeah probably could have used a bit more of the title character but doesn’t ruin the film.

Godzilla's new design is one of my favorites. 

1 minute ago, Ollie said:

.But as far as production values go, miles ahead of the Japanese films. 

You might wanna see Mothra (1961) sometime. It's a surprisingly dazzling film with lavish production value for its time.

And it's not fair to write off the old Japanese films so casually, given their witty satirical scripts in the early-to-mid-60s entries.

1 minute ago, The Big Man said:

You might wanna see Mothra (1961) sometime. It's a surprisingly dazzling film with lavish production value for its time.

And it's not fair to write off the old Japanese films so casually, given their witty satirical scripts in the early-to-mid-60s entries.

C’mon, you should know me better than that. I never said anything about not liking the Japanese films but outside of the original 54 film, it’s pacing, acting and SFX are the best.

I have Mothra in my collection. What true Kaiju fan doesn’t? 

No, no and no. I do actually sort of enjoy this film and the score is great. But neither is a masterpiece.

@Ollie are there any good Godzilla themes out there? I can't really think of any. They seem to be all simple ideas/motifs.

How do we definine a great remake? Can a remake be great in the first place? Doesn't making one imply you haven't got any real ideas?

Karol

13 minutes ago, crocodile said:

@Ollie are there any good Godzilla themes out there? I can't really think of any. They swem to be all simple ideas/motifs.

The best Ifukube material was compiled into the Symphonic Fantasia concert suites:

Plus infectious themes from other composers:

Again, 'no' is in order for all three - since 'masterpiece' is such hyperbole in these cases. Perhaps we could tone it down to 'good' or something similar?

That being said, it's one of my favourite movies of 2014. It came in third that year. And that has nothing to do with the score, which (as almost always with Desplat) I found disappointing.

Shin Godzilla was a very good film and had a sharp wit about it, especially if one was familiar with Japanese politics. 

I found the film to be a considerable step up as far as acting, pacing and SFX from previous TOHO films. 

It was a great reboot, although the film is a one shot deal, no direct sequels to be made. 

On 2/10/2021 at 12:50 AM, crocodile said:

@Ollie are there any good Godzilla themes out there? I can't really think of any. They seem to be all simple ideas/motifs.

Karol

Ifukube’s themes are perfect, and most fans would agree. I do enjoy Michiru Oshima’s theme as well. 

The movie and score have masterful qualities for sure, but the whole package doesn’t totally cohere. The movie cares so much about giving the monsters presence, grandeur, and room to inspire awe, which is still gratifying. The anticipation to the final payoff, and the payoff itself, are A+ great. I don’t think it’s problem was ever a lack of monster action, but of shortage of engaging (and enduring 🤣) characters to fill the gaps (although at least they aren’t ‘98 Godzilla cheeseball).