What's the best and worst Harry Potter score?

bollemanneke

What's the best and worst Harry Potter score?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. What's the best Harry Potter score?

• Sorcerer's Stone (John Williams)
    • Chamber of Secrets (John Williams)
    • Prisoner of Azkaban (John Williams)
    • Goblet of Fire (Patrick Doyle)
    • Order of the Phoenix (Nicholas Hooper)
    • Half-Blood Prince (Nicholas Hooper)
    • Deathly Hallows 1 (Alexandre Desplat)
    • Deathly Hallows 2 (Alexandre Desplat)
    • Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (James Newton Howard)
    • The Crimes of Grindelwald (James Newton Howard)
    • Sorcerer's Stone (Jeremy Soule)
    • Chamber of Secrets (Jeremy Soule)
    • Prisoner of Azkaban (Jeremy Soule)
    • Goblet of Fire (Jeremy Soule)
    • Order of the Phoenix (James Hannigan)
    • Half-Blood Prince (James Hannigan)
    • Deathly Hallows 1 (James Hannigan)
    • Deathly Hallows 2 (James Hannigan)
    • Quidditch World Cup (Jeremy Soule)
    • Cursed Child (Imogen Heap)
  2. 2. What's the worst Harry Potter score?

• Sorcerer's Stone (John Williams)
    • Chamber of Secrets (John Williams)
    • Prisoner of Azkaban (John Williams)
    • Goblet of Fire (Patrick Doyle)
    • Order of the Phoenix (Nicholas Hooper)
    • Half-Blood Prince (Nicholas Hooper)
    • Deathly Hallows 1 (Alexandre Desplat)
    • Deathly Hallows 2 (Alexandre Desplat)
    • Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (James Newton Howard)
    • The Crimes of Grindelwald (James Newton Howard)
    • Sorcerer's Stone (Jeremy Soule)
    • Chamber of Secrets (Jeremy Soule)
    • Prisoner of Azkaban (Jeremy Soule)
    • Goblet of Fire (Jeremy Soule)
    • Order of the Phoenix (James Hannigan)
    • Half-Blood Prince (James Hannigan)
    • Deathly Hallows 1 (James Hannigan)
    • Deathly Hallows 2 (James Hannigan)
    • Quidditch World Cup (Jeremy Soule)
    • Cursed Child (Imogen Heap)

Couldn't find a poll that contained every single film, play and video game score, so decided to make one myself inspired by listening to half of Doyle's Goblet of Fire this afternoon. Vote and discuss.

PS: Why is there no option to have multiple questions with the same choices?

I haven't listened to and likely won't listen to any of the non-film scores, but my best is Azkaban and my least best is Order of the Phoenix.  A year or two ago, I might have said one of the Deathly Hallows, but I've come around a bit on Desplat's HP scores.

After careful consideration, I voted for Goblet of Fire and Half-Blood Prince.

Doyle's score got me into film music and even though HP1 is thematically amazing and 3 has the medieval cues, I felt that had to count for something.

Hooper's HP6 is the worst because of The Drink of Despair.

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Imogen Heap is a bad band.

I’m pretty sure Imogen Heap is a person. 

It worked great within the play to be fair. 

It’s not Lorn Balfe or Bryan Tyler Bates levels of bad 

1 minute ago, Thor said:

Imogen Heap has done some fine work in her career. I've not heard the Potter stageplay yet, so I can't comment on that.

I believe large parts (all?) are made up of various bits and pieces from her career but I’m not familiar with her stuff outside the play. 

I haven't heard anything outside of the film scores and don't care to.

Of the film scores...I'll give worst to GoF, because that's the one that starts to actively annoy me after a few tracks. There is some stuff I really like in there, but Doyle tends to write too melodramatically for my tastes.

The other contender is DH2, simply because I've never even been sufficiently interested to add it to my collection. The Hooper scores sound a little cheap, but they've also got some really evocative moments that I can't help enjoying. And COS has way too much duplicated material, but most of the new stuff is really good.

Best is harder. SS was an instant favorite of mine when the film and album came out, and as overplayed as a lot of the material may be, it's still pretty fantastic. I also think that while many people fixate on the similarities to Hook and Home Alone and whatnot, there's also a lot of stuff that sounds like nothing else in Williams' oeuvre, at least that I've heard.

Of course, if that's your main criterion, POA wins. Talk about a unique score. There's just so much writing here that makes me grin. The contrast is especially noticeable when I remember my initial ho-hum reaction to the score.

I feel bad ranking anything above POA, but I'm gonna give it to SS.

7 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I believe large parts (all?) are made up of various bits and pieces from her career but I’m not familiar with her stuff outside the play. 

I see. I'm sure many of you are familiar with her hit "Hide and Seek" - which is the proper way to use a vocoder. Personally, I prefer the work she did with Guy Sigsworth under the band name Frou Frou. She belongs to that electropop singer-songwriter tradition that you can trace back to Kate Bush (through various permutations over the years, like Björk).

17 minutes ago, Bespin said:

because it introduced two eternal main themes : Hedwidge and Wondrous World.

HWW is not even a theme, it's a piece that reworks multiple themes.

8 minutes ago, Holko said:

HWW is not even a theme, it's a piece that reworks multiple themes.

It's pretty common for people to refer to it as its own theme.  I always have.  Our own Inky did in his famous analysis!

image.png

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I see. I'm sure many of you are familiar with her hit "Hide and Seek" - which is the proper way to use a vocoder. Personally, I prefer the work she did with Guy Sigsworth under the band name Frou Frou. She belongs to that electropop singer-songwriter tradition that you can trace back to Kate Bush (through various permutations over the years, like Björk).

I am familiar with Hide and Seek... from Cursed Child 🤣

https://www.thespinoff.co.nz/music/28-02-2019/how-the-hell-did-hide-and-seek-end-up-in-harry-potter-and-the-cursed-child/

17 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It's pretty common for people to refer to it as its own theme.  I always have.  Our own Inky did in his famous analysis!

image.png

Oh. I call that the Friends theme to make a nice pair with Family.

The title "Harry's Wondrous World" is probably more a title meant for the compilation of themes in the concert suite, rather than for any of the specific themes therein. Like "The Rebellion Is Reborn." It's not a bad title for the particular theme in question though, which seems to have only vague associations as used in the score. Haven't people also interpreted it as Harry's theme?

I don't look at theme guides or go into particularly deep dives on the HP music, but I've never considered "Harry's Wondrous World" to be a theme - I've always considered it to be more like "The Rebellion is Reborn" from TLJ, bringing thematic material from one movie into a concert suite.

Definitely Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone for best. It's thematically brilliant, complex, iconic, varied, and develops perfectly in the recording sessions. 

Worst is definitely Half-Blood Prince. By far the most generic, toneless, spineless, and dull of the HP scores. At least Desplat has some good themes and ideas that he attempts to develop, even if they seem to get undercut or downplayed in the film. Not to mention "Polyjuice Potion" and "Sky Battle" being two of my favorite tracks in the Williams-less movies. 

I do want to mention that the videogame scores (at least 1-6 and Quidditch World Cup) are definitely up there with Williams' music for me. Jeremy Soule has a more classical, bombastic, melancholic style that I think is great in its own way for HP, and James Hannigan did a better job at recreating the Harry Potter magic than any of Williams' replacements. Hell he even had better thematic continuity in the 5th game than the actual film has.

I don't like ANY of the Harry Potter film music after Goblet of Fire. It's all the same soulless crap to me.

The game scores are much better than them, Both composers did a great job there.

I didn't know the stage play HAD music. Is it available outside of the show itself? 

Also, since it won't be anyone's favorite or least favorite, shoutout to Goblet of Fire for being a fairly worthy followup in quality.

5 has so much more memorable pieces than the dreck that is 6! I think I originally picked DH2 as the worst because Desplat had the potential but just gave up and made something insanely gemeric as far as I can remember.

GoF is great, I hope an LLL edition is in the works or on the table!

For the best I picked Azkaban at the moment.

Lol. You guys really do hate the Hooper scores don't you?

Best: Azkaban, Sorcerer's Stone close second.

Worst: Cursed Child

My overall score ranking for the films:

1. Prisoner of Azkaban
  2. Sorcerer's Stone
  3. Chamber of Secrets
  4. Goblet of Fire
  5. Half-Blood Prince
  6. Deathly Hallows Pt 1
  7. Deathly Hallows Pt 2
  8. Order of the Phoenix

2 hours ago, TSMefford said:

Lol. You guys really do hate the Hooper scores don't you?

I do. They're shite.

Anyway, here's my ranking:

1. Prisoner of Azkaban

2. Sorcerer's Philosopher's Stone

3. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

4. Chamber of Secrets

5. Fantastic Beasts 2

6. Deathly Hallows 2

7. Deathly Hallows 1

8. Goblet of Fire

9. Half Blood Prince

10. Order of the Phoenix

Haven't heard the game or the play scores.

As much as GoF was my favorite for the longest time, I think I have to give it to SS. Simply perfection from beginning to end.

For least favorite, I'm going to pick a potentially controversial one in DH1. No matter how fancy the writing can be in areas, I just won't be invested if there's no clear direction in place. Hooper's entries, standard and sometimes dull as they may be, have enough things happening for me to take note of the positive qualities that they do have (yes, even HBP). Hell, I'd say I liked DH2 more, since it at least fully commits to sounding like a standard 2010s Hollywood blockbuster. It's just not what I want out of a Desplat scored HP project overall, and that's honestly more disappointing to me than some TV composer miraculously getting two entries.

Here's my ranking based on the last set of listens I had:
1. HP1
2. HP4
3. HP3
4. HP2
5. HP5
6. HP7.2
7. HP6
8. HP7.1

Haven't heard much video game stuff outside of bits of HP1, but I'd love to check them out down the road. Hearing Hide and Seek made it into HP8 honestly has made me more curious to want to listen to that. :lol:

The way I see the HP series, it goes darker and darker at each book/movie.

Duller and duller at each movie. :P

So I'm okay with the fact that JW scored only the ones where there's still a bit of innocence and "magic".

Honestly, I tried to listen to the score of the 4th movie, but I thought it was a score for a video game, not for a movie. Patrick Doyle? Anyway, I've stopped there. Then I tried the last one by Alexandre Dess-plaw, but I don't like his style so it didn't impressed me much (me and french composers...).

1. Philosopher’s Stone

2. Prisoner of Azkaban 

3. Chamber of Secrets

4. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

5. Goblet of Fire

6. Deathly Hallows Part 1

7. Crimes of Grindlewald 

8. Deathly Hallows Part 2

9. Cursed Child

10. Half-Blood Prince

11. Order of the Phoenix 

Really like Jeremy Soule's HP2, HP3 and Quidditch World Cup scores. Too good music for not so good games.

As for the music for films, then PS and POA. I can't bring myself to like Doyle's GOF, and prefer DH1 over DH2.