What podcasts do you listen to?

Jay

I listen to three weekly film podcasts

Three weekly Nintendo podcasts

One weekly poker podcast

And a bunch of television episode recap podcasts that only have new episodes when the show itself does

There's been some recent official podcasts for TV shows that were surprisingly good as well

Other than that with lots of my podcasts all ending as their shows did I've been looking for more and more new podcasts to check out.

I've been checking out random episodes of Retronauts, Armchair Expert, and literally random shows that popped up searching for a particular person I wanted to see if they had been interviewed for a podcast.

What do you listen to?

The only podcast I listen to with any regularity is We Have Ways of Making You Talk. It’s a Second World War podcast hosted by historian James Holland and comedian Al Murray. It’s very good but can be a bit Brit centric (understandably so). They will never change my opinions on Monty. But if you’re into your history it’s a fantastic show and the Patreon is also more than worth it. 

The Chernobyl podcast was excellent and I listened to The Last of Us Podcast too. I hope there’s an official one for the show when that comes out. 

I used to listen to loads of Star Wars podcasts but there’s so many of them now it all feels watered down. They’re all basically the same these days. 

I tend to prefer audiobooks. 

Yea the official podcasts for Chernobyl and Watchmen were excellent.  I'm sure they'll be one for Last of Us since Mazin is so into them.

But what do you mean you listen to "the" Last of Us podcast now.  The video game has an official podcast?  What do they talk about?

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea the official podcasts for Chernobyl and Watchmen were excellent.  I'm sure they'll be one for Last of Us since Mazin is so into them.

But what do you mean you listen to "the" Last of Us podcast now.  The video game has an official podcast?  What do they talk about?

Yeah there was an official one for the video games last year. They went through the games and talked to Druckman and the voice actors. Talked about specific scenes and such. Exactly as you’d expect from a TV show podcast really. 

2 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Yeah there was an official one for the video games last year. They went through the games and talked to Druckman and the voice actors. Talked about specific scenes and such. Exactly as you’d expect from a TV show podcast really. 

Interesting!

Just now, Koray Savas said:

Yeah I’ve been subscribed to it forever but have yet to listen to it.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-official-the-last-of-us-podcast/id1514792212

OK, but what podcasts DO you listen to?

I used to listen to all of Kinda Funny’s content, but as they grew bigger and Colin Moriarty left, I started to like them a lot less.

My primary podcast content is Colin’s Last Stand Media company. 

Sacred Symbols, a weekly PlayStation podcast.

Knockback, a retro and nostalgia inspired podcast where him and his brother discuss various movies, shows, games, books, and other broad topics (such as the video rental store).

I’ve also been enjoying Fake Doctors, Real Friends. Zach Braff’s and Donald Faison’s Scrubs rewatch podcast. 

Oh, yea, I've been thinking about checking out that one (the Scrubs one) when my queue got short again

The official Scrubs podcast from back in the day (as the final seasons were airing) was great too

There's a bunch of podcasts that I either listen to fairly regularly or check up on from time to time and listen to when the whim takes me or when the topic interests me. Here are some of them...

On the subject that must not be mentioned:

On films:

On A Song of Ice and Fire and Game of Thrones:

Miscellany:

My wife listens to Lovett or Leave It. Something about it rubs me the wrong way. He was funny on Drunk History though 

Mostly into deep-dives on topics that are just casual, funny conversations with people who generally know what they're talking about. The ones I've listened to the longest and binged the most...

Blank Check - covering complete directors' filmographies chronologically, hosted by critic David Sims and actor Griffin Newman. Incredibly thorough but hilariously unpretentious, lots of movie trivia and completely unrelated tangents. 

Screw It, We're Just Gonna Talk About the Beatles - UCB comedian friends go through Beatles albums and marginalia, mostly defunct but their archive is all there and they still put out random episodes like on McCartney III recently. 

Scriptnotes - podcast about screenwriting, hosted by John August and Craig Mazin, only film craft pod I've come across that consistently puts out episodes, covers a huge range of topics, and regular hosts with industry pedigree and good on-air banter.

Stuff You Should Know - HowStuffWorks.com's podcast, completely random topics, last three episodes were How California Got Its Name, How Housing Discrimination Works, and Why Are So Many Disembodied Feet Washing Ashore in British Columbia. Every episode is well-researched and organized but still very conversational, the two hosts have been doing it forever and have a great rapport.

Also various interview podcasts on a guest-by-guest basis like A24, Conan, DGA, Rogan, WTF. Roger Deakins's cinematographer/filmmaker interview pod Team Deakins is great. Occasionally listen to movie score podcasts that get repped here like Art of the Score and Cinematic Sound Radio.

And BBC Global News which is about as much news/politics as I can stomach on a regular basis. Nice and dry.

18 hours ago, The Big Man said:

Why not have a JWfan podcast? Justin and I can have a show. Alex and Morlock can have their own. Publicist can talk to himself.

Bloodboal pitched one on here years ago. He deleted the thread but I saved his post.

These were supposed to be Cremers, Pub, and Justin's segments.

OPEN YOUR HORIZON (Presented by Alexcremers): Amidst all those shitty movies Hollywood keeps producing, there are still a few real gems. Once every ten years, a movie gives us real emotions, and Cremers is here to tell us which one it is. Prepare for some atmospheric journey! Listen to the silence, feel the void, be moved by the stillness... An introspective journey into the heart of filmmaking and its impact on the human psyche.

FUCK YOU ALL, YOU RETARDS: AN ODE TO JOY (Presented by Publicist): In this very short segment, Publicist tells us what he likes about JWFAN and JWFANers. NOT SAFE FOR CHILDREN!

ENCOUNTER OF THE FIRST SIGHT (Presented by E&4E): What was it like to fall in love with ET? This is what this segment is all about. Learn how it feels to have an erection in the middle of a crowded theater, and not be ashamed of it.

37 minutes ago, Bespin said:

So some people are right, and some don't.

Who? :D

I’m just saying there are some knowledgable posters here who would be great for a podcast and then there’s people here who... wouldn’t be good. 

1 hour ago, The Big Man said:

That's Dildo for ya. Doesn't want the guttersnipes or "wrong sorts" having a say in important matters.

"Important Matters"

AKA Hairy Pooter, Marvel Funnybooks, Popcorn Space Movies for Babies, Aspergic Musical Timestamps etc.

On 2/14/2021 at 12:14 AM, Jay said:

Something about it rubs me the wrong way. He was funny on Drunk History though 

I've never seen that. The Lovett or Leave It live shows could be very funny, depending on the guests and the week's news. I haven't liked the COVID era "Back in the Closet" version as much.

I'm first and foremost concerned with producing my own podcast, so I very rarely listen to others. A couple of Norwegian ones, perhaps (that have nothing whatsoever to do with film music), but none of you will have heard about them.

On 2/17/2021 at 5:36 PM, Thor said:

I'm first and foremost concerned with producing my own podcast, so I very rarely listen to others. A couple of Norwegian ones, perhaps (that have nothing whatsoever to do with film music), but none of you will have heard about them.

Try me!

I listen to mostly history podcasts....History of Rome, Hardcore History, Revolutions, etc. Occassionaly Sam Harris. But there's a great film one I like, The Rewatchables, where they take a relatively older film and spend a couple hours talking about it. Loads of fun.

I generally can't stand network/show sponsored podcasts.

I heard an episode of The Rewatchables once, about Forgetting Sara Marshall.  Seemed like a podcast I like, but then I forgot to check it out again!

21 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Try me!

Well, you have obviously heard of them (presumably). There have really only been two: "Alt du sier er feil, Espen" and "Sånn er du". The latter eventually became rather repetitive with the same format, so I tuned out. "Tazte Priv" is a favourite of mine from the mid 2000s, but that's obviously a radio program. Would have been the perfect podcast, though, before podcasts existed.

• 11 months later...

I've noticed two trends with podcasts lately, anybody notice the same?

One is the hosts saying at the very beginning of a podcast "welcome back to >podcast name" instead of "welcome to >podcast name<".  Threw me for a loop at first, like I thought maybe they re-edited the episode out of order, but some hosts do it all the time now.  Is this a new trend?

The other is people referring to their wife/husband/bg/gf/whatever always as their partner instead of saying the words wife of husband or whatever.  I guess I've heard this a tiny bit outside of podcasts, but I hear it on podcasts constantly.

Anyone else noticed these, or any other recent trends in podcasts?

Ever since i've started working from home and exercising more, iv'e been listening to a lot of the Chaser report, betoota advocate, h3 pod, friendlyjordies pod, wilosophy, broken record & fear and maulding 

18 hours ago, Jay said:

The other is people referring to their wife/husband/bg/gf/whatever always as their partner instead of saying the words wife of husband or whatever.  I guess I've heard this a tiny bit outside of podcasts, but I hear it on podcasts constantly.

I've noticed this in real life too. In the age of isolation, you probably are more likely to hear this in podcasts since real life is scarce depending on where you're from.

I guess this is just part of the larger cultural movement against marriage, even if you're married they use a more generic term maybe to not make unmarried people feel lesser or something?

On 23/01/2022 at 4:06 PM, Jay said:

One is the hosts saying at the very beginning of a podcast "welcome back to >podcast name" instead of "welcome to >podcast name<".  Threw me for a loop at first, like I thought maybe they re-edited the episode out of order, but some hosts do it all the time now.  Is this a new trend?

I have noticed this, maybe because a few of the podcasts I listen to started releasing more episodes weekly, so there is a shorter gap between them.

One thing I have noticed is the increase in length of the banal rambling at the beginning of every podcast; hosts asking each other “What have you been up to?” etc. Just get to the actual reason I’m listening to this podcast!

I try to avoid the "back" comment, and introduce each episode as if it's the first time someone listens to the podcast. Because in some cases, it could be. I also try to get straight to the point, but in some cases one needs some context for the episode's theme, of course.

On 23/01/2022 at 2:06 PM, Jay said:

I've noticed two trends with podcasts lately, anybody notice the same?

I don't think it's a new tread and I've done it before.  Nothing really wrong with welcoming a listener back to the program.  

-Erik-

21 minutes ago, Erik Woods said:

I don't think it's a new tread and I've done it before.  Nothing really wrong with welcoming a listener back to the program.  

-Erik-

Adding on to this, I feel like it creates a certain atmosphere of having a conversation with a good friend, which is what a lot of people enjoy about listening to podcasts. 

You're pretending you're with friends even if you have none.

Oh I agree - I *like* the host saying "Welcome back to..." instead of "Welcome to..."

I simply brought it up because I've observed it as a recent trend.  I've been listening to podcasts since they were invented, and hadn't come across hosts opening episodes by saying "welcome back to..." until recently