What flubs / missed notes / other problems are there in the original LSO recordings?

Fabulin

This might seem like a strange question, but I've read some time ago that the playing of LSO was "borderline unprofessional" on some of the Williams scores. I was rather surprised by such opinion, but considering that I grew up on these recordings, whatever they sounded like became the norm to me. Maybe I am biased.

I seem to recall someone saying that there are mistakes in the horns in Mynock Cave in Empire.

Any other examples?

There are plenty of spots that get a little messy. I think it's a charming sort of messiness, though, because it's still relatively subtle and it sounds more like the result of excessive enthusiasm than lack of skill or effort.

They're particular prominent in the early TPM takes we have from some of the older video games, those are the best examples I can think of. After a few runs they were of course able to fix most if not all of the issues.

The brass part in The Mynock Cave always stuck out to me as well.

One example is at 2:55-3:05 of the opening track of Empire ("Main Title/The Ice Planet of Hoth" in the RCA release): the flute/piano/oboe descening line, the instruments are never together, each going at a different speed.

In general, the strings often don’t sound so good, often out of tune. Level of playing (and/or sight-reading?) had increased a lot by the time the prequels came around. And editing as well, I guess.

I think it may sound a bit ‘unprofessional’ at times if these were well-rehearsed recordings of classical pieces, but of course the circumstances were different.

I might have said something about it at one point because I think they get glorified a bit in comparison to the current LA players.

On 2/13/2021 at 10:57 AM, superultramegaa said:

I always remember The Battle of Endor III in ROTJ for the sour notes in the brass when reprising the Rebel Fanfare at 0:18 and 0:49. 

Always my first thought. Even as a kid it stood out.