Which scores do you consider to have better flow on their OG albums than their expansions?

mxsch

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Ding ding ding!

2!

2 posts is how far we made it this time before the insults started!

Thank god for Holko, the hungarian samaritan who keeps the board's good spirits afloat.

Usually I prefer the film score presentation over the original album.

There might be exceptions, especially when the original album has special material (Monsignor, The River, E.T.), but hearing the full score, remastered from the best elements and without annoying microedits is definitely my thing.

33 minutes ago, Thor said:

All of them.

No one expected that!

Like I said in another thread, for the moment, I better love Edward Scissorhands OST than the Expanded Release.

On the OST, it's intented as a two-part story, so it's nice.

R-1798552-1466642853-5435.jpeg.jpg

Jaws is another example. I love the fact that we now have the complete score, but... the re-recorded OST is hard to beat!

And as we talked about Minority Report too in another thread, I'm not much a fan of this score, so I still find the OST a better experience than the whole expanded score.  It's not really "A.I." if we can put it that way!

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That's not right. I know you prefer the Arista box for the SW OT.

Well, yes, one of the few cases where I condone and prefer a little bit of extra music. The scores are strong enough for that. But flow-wise, I think the OSTs are superior even here. I can't think of a single example in the history of soundtracks where an expanded release has offered a better flow/listening experience than a properly curated OST. Not one.

3 hours ago, Arpy said:

Prisoner of Azkaban. Brilliant score, but better listening experience on the OST. 

Yeah. I agree with this. There so much amazing music in POA but the expanded releases sounds disjointed. I still think there’s a better possible listening experience than the OST though. 

Transformers 2007, strangely was the first that came to mind. Some other Steve Jablonsky scores like Your Highness or TF5 also come to mind. Star Wars Episode 1 definitely also had a better album release just because it showcases how much was cut. 

Prisoner of Azkaban, I would have agreed, though the recording sessions revealed that Williams originally brought back the cloak ambience when Harry learns about Sirius being his godfather. Little touches like that, and other tracks here and there that were missing add so much more to the listening experience for me. Plus the recording sessions come with some of the extra album tracks that weren't in the film anyway. 

I guess just War Horse.  I loved that album so much, I thought having the entire thing would be the usual rigamarole where now I just always prefer that and don't need the OST anymore, but I ended up not really listening to it all that much. 

I guess Zimmer's The Rock is the exact same situation, actually.

Everything else, I end up preferring the longer versions.  My ideal presentation may be an edit/playlist I make myself and not exactly how it was presented on the expansion, but I'm pretty much always happier to have the expansion than still only having the OST