Anybody else find the cue The Hunt from The Lost World to be overrated?

Jurassic Shark

Anybody else find the cue The Hunt from The Lost World to be overrated?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Anybody else find the cue The Hunt from The Lost World to be overrated?

2 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Anybody else find the "no personal insults" rule to be overrated? 

I don't see why anybody would get personally insulted by this poll, unless they're John Williams.

It's my least favorite percussive action cue in that score. Can't put my finger on why. Part of it is probably just that it overstays its welcome. A little too much repetition for a little too long.

Mind you, I still like the cue. I just like its brethren more - Truck Stop, The Raptors Appear, the second half of The Streets of San Diego, etc.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Not at all. I was just wondering if I'm the only one who doesn't particularly like it.

Then, and I mean this only a friendly suggestion, why not just ask if others do not care for all that much?  To say "overrated" is to implicitly accuse those who really like it of being wrong.  

10 minutes ago, Tom said:

Then, and I mean this only a friendly suggestion, why not just ask if others do not care for all that much?  To say "overrated" is to implicitly accuse those who really like it of being wrong.  

Overrated is a widely used word and I personally don't put much negativity in it, but then I'm not a native English user either. If anything, I meant overrated compared to the rest of the score. To me, there's several highlight tracks on the LTW OST, but The Hunt is closer to the other end of the spectrum.

On 2/14/2021 at 8:36 AM, Holko said:

I wonder if you'd say the same or still think it had any value if it was left off the OST.

He absolutely would not, you're completely spot on here.

In Thor's world, a composer's contribution to a film only matters if the director didn't dial it out in the final cut and/or the composer decided to put it on the first album.  Otherwise it's a curiosity and could never be something worth listening to regularly

Technically, I would be perfectly able to identify a great cue in a film that was not on the OST ("The Big Rescue" from SUPERMAN comes to mind), let's say if I was analyzing a film and the score-in-context or something, like I did in my thesis.

But it would have no bearing on the soundtrack listening. I wouldn't "miss" it on the OST if it worked perfectly as is.

On 2/14/2021 at 6:47 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Not at all. I was just wondering if I'm the only one who doesn't particularly like it.

I'm not a massive fan, really. I've always found SS's tracking effective in the film (with the caveat that I've never heard the film version outside the film), so to listen to this radically alternate take on album just seems weird. It also feels a very neutral cue, with no heroism or baddie-isms that I really make out. It's still a sort of fun cue, but I don't associate it with that scene.

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

Technically, I would be perfectly able to identify a great cue in a film that was not on the OST ("The Big Rescue" from SUPERMAN comes to mind), let's say if I was analyzing a film and the score-in-context or something, like I did in my thesis.

But it would have no bearing on the soundtrack listening. I wouldn't "miss" it on the OST if it worked perfectly as is.

We weren't talking about cues that are in the film but not the OST.

We were talking about music that is not in the film and also not on the OST.

I'm not sure where you got lost.

"The Hunt" is a cue (originally called "The Round Up" incidentally) that is not in the film, but is on The Lost World album.

Holko brought up a hypothetical situation:

On 2/14/2021 at 8:36 AM, Holko said:

I wonder if you'd say the same or still think it had any value if it was left off the OST.

The hypothetical situation being: What if "The Hunt" was not only not in the film, but also not on the album either.

In this hypothetical situation, none of us would have heard this cue until the LLL album came out.

He wondered if in that hypothetical situation, you'd still consider it to be a "a great cue that deserves the kudos it gets"

I agreed with Holko's assessment and agreed that you would, in fact, not consider it not to be one:

1 hour ago, Jay said:

He absolutely would not, you're complete spot on here.

In Thor's world, a composer's contribution to a film only matters if the director didn't dial it out in the final cut and/or the composer decided to put it on the first album.  Otherwise it's a curiosity and could never be something worth listening to regularly

Do you follow now?

1 minute ago, Jay said:

The hypothetical situation being that "The Hunt" was not only not in the film, but also not on the OST album either.

But that makes no sense. Isn't "The Hunt" a concert piece-type thing tailored specifically for the OST? So why wouldn't it be on the OST?

No, it is not a concert arrangement.  It is a cue written specifically for the round up scene in the film.  In the end, Spielberg elected not to use it in the final cut, and tracked in music from other pieces instead.

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

He wondered if in that hypothetical situation, you'd still consider it to be a "a great cue that deserves the kudos it gets"

Personally, I'd say it would still be one of the less interesting cues from the score.

Well, it's a great cue that fits in perfectly where it is. I'm thankful it was included. If it hadn't been included, I'd probably live in blissful ignorance (none of us would have known about its existence, anyway) and just enjoyed the soundtrack as is.

5 minutes ago, Thor said:

none of us would have known about its existence, anyway

But we would have eventually, in 2016 when the LLL album came out

You're just proven Holko and mine's point.

Because you heard it on the OST album, you consider it to be "a great cue that deserves the kudos it gets".

If it wasn't on the OST and only came out on the LLL album, you would not consider it to be that.

Probably, yeah. Alternatively, I would have sampled the LLL (which I sometimes do), and agreed that 'yes, that is a great cue' and then just moved back to my ol' OST.