Anybody else find the cue The Hunt from The Lost World to be overrated?

Jurassic Shark

Anybody else find the cue The Hunt from The Lost World to be overrated?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Anybody else find the cue The Hunt from The Lost World to be overrated?

32 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

It's one of his most savage pieces I can think of, along with the track "The Temple of Doom". There aren't many I'd put in that category.

That's interesting - I find it to be among the least savage action cues in TLW.

Just took a listen to it so that my reactions would be totally fresh and not based off of my memory of the cue. Yep, I wish it weren't so repetitive. Other than a brief section in the second half, it's pretty much all built on similar repetitions of the same theme. I like the writing, but it overstays its welcome for me. I'd rather listen to literally any of the other drum-groove-based action cues from this exceptional score.

57 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I wonder what @Thor thinks about that intro!

I've seen the film some 30 times, but I've never listened to the expanded version. Pretty neat intro -- very "Ifukube". Of course, the remainder of the cue seems to be on the OST.

Nope, the entire cue is not on the OST at all.

There is a portion of the cue (0:50-1:11) that is similar to a portion (2:08-2:26) of "A Neighborhood Visitor", a cue JW put inside the OST track called "Visitor In San Diego", which could explain why you thought that.

In the final film, Spielberg elected not to use the nasty brass snarls that open the cue as intended by JW, only fading the music in later in the scene

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

There is a portion of the cue (0:50-1:11) that is similar to a portion of "A Neighborhood Visitor", a cue JW put inside the OST track called "Visitor In San Diego", which could explain why you thought that.

Yes, that's probably it. I know very little about such things; I just recognized the music that appeared at that timeframe.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Anybody else is a fan of Visitor in San Diego? It's on my top 5 action cues by Williams, maybe top 3.

It's flipping awesome. Among the score's many, many highlights, it's definitely up there for me.

The real tough question is which is better between "T-Rex Rescue and Finale" and "Visitor In San Diego"

I feel I love them both so damn much, I can't decide.  Two of my favorite action finale tracks from any score

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

The real tough question is which is better between "T-Rex Rescue and Finale" and "Visitor In San Diego"

I feel I love them both so damn much, I can't decide.  Two of my favorite action finale tracks from any score

That IS tough. The first one is a master class in building and releasing tension, in following the onscreen action without unnecessary mickey mousing, in continually introducing cool new musical ideas, and in getting the pulse pounding without fatiguing the ears.

The second one is just so friggin' cool. The middle part - the more conventional Williams 90s action music - is good, but where it really shines is in the first cue ("A Neighborhood Visitor") and in the last stretch with the percussion.

On 2/17/2021 at 6:33 PM, Jay said:

Poll it!

On 2/16/2021 at 8:32 PM, Thor said:

Probably, yeah. Alternatively, I would have sampled the LLL (which I sometimes do), and agreed that 'yes, that is a great cue' and then just moved back to my ol' OST.

This mentality is really unique.. and fascinating, I have to say.

On the other hand, it could be said that obsessing about 5-second inserts being unreleased, or about film takes being slightly different is also unique and fascinating, and here we are lol.

• 9 months later...

It's certainly one of the greatest unused action cues of his career, if not the greatest. 

Fifty Miles of Desert (The Car Chase) wouldn't be far behind. 

Interesting how both share musical DNA through their aggressive rhythm and focus on percussion. 

12 hours ago, crumbs said:

It's certainly one of the greatest unused action cues of his career, if not the greatest. 

Fifty Miles of Desert (The Car Chase) wouldn't be far behind. 

Interesting how both share musical DNA through their aggressive rhythm and focus on percussion. 

What's The Car Chase? Got a link?

No, not really overrated.

I mean, I was kinda disappointed about the score in 1997, because it didn't have the awe and wonder of no. 1, but I had been prepared for the new sound through a blurb in FSM prior to its release, which described it as "Stravinsky-like". I've eventually come to embrace it, and "The Hunt" is a fantastic track.

The main melody is doing its job and not particularly memorable, but next to 'Black Sunday' and some of the 'Total Recall'-ian moments in Episode 7 it's Williams' most Goldsmith-ian action music in its daring meter changes and due to the many orchestral embellishments (contrary to JG's stripped-down 90's stuff), it's also a more interesting take on this kind of action writing. It's a great cue, period.

It's a perfectly good piece of music but I find it rather ineffective in the scene.

And don't forget - why would SS have tracked music into the scene if he didn't have some sort of similar thought? I think the film construct is, in context, way better.

The Hunt is great kinetic fun. The brash is powerful in a way that is different than the percussion-led action music that dominates the rest of the score (that stuff is great too). 

I miss this era of JW action music.

I looked back on the first page of the thread and saw my angry comments from a year ago--that must have been around the time I gave up barbiturates.  

Also, The Hunt is very good, but it would not make my top 25 Williams cues.  Neither over or under, I will call it "rated."  

3 hours ago, Tom said:

I looked back on the first page of the thread and saw my angry comments from a year ago--that must have been around the time I gave up barbiturates.  

Listening to HanZ can indeed make one angry.

On 18/12/2021 at 4:50 PM, Richard Penna said:

It's a perfectly good piece of music but I find it rather ineffective in the scene.

And don't forget - why would SS have tracked music into the scene if he didn't have some sort of similar thought? I think the film construct is, in context, way better.

Spielberg tracked in other music because he really liked the new Lost World theme Williams came up with and thought it would work better in the scene than the original cue Williams wrote.

-Erik-

It's a nice track... just a bit odd in context if you watch the film then find the track on the album and wonder what on earth you're hearing.

An experience I was introduced to in deep-end fashion with the Potter and LotR OSTs back in the day.