Action Soundtracks

scallenger

Guys, I need help. Which soundtracks of ANY composer that you know of have the most action music? I am just really looking for a score with a lot of great action music. Thanks

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO the very besy action Soundtrack of all times is 'The Rock' which is thematically rich, and almost wall to wall action music (except for two short tracks).

'Crimson Tide', 'Backdraft', 'Beyond Rangoon', all great action scores by Hans Zimmer. And although it's not wall to wall- a lot of 'Gladiator', especialy the begining is some of the strongest action scoring ever.

As you can see- Hans Zimmer is probably the best at completely action oriented scores. Obviously there are many other great action pieces- like 'The Empire Strikes Back'- but not all action.

If you want more options and descriptions- please post. These are among the most basic ones out there.

okay, the kind of action music i am looking for is in the STYLE of williams (although it doesnt have to be williams). and it would be good if there were some advernterous themes too, with barely any slow stuff:D

okay, the kind of action music i am looking for is in the STYLE of williams (although it doesnt have to be williams). and it would be good if there were some advernterous themes too, with barely any slow stuff:D

In that case disregard my suggestion. :)

Try these:

Jurassic Park III by Don Davis

The Mummy Returns by Alan Silvestri

Cutthroat Island by John Debney

and

Tommorrow Never Dies by David Arnold

These all rank in the forefront as non-Williams wicked action music (IMO that is!:-))

Jamesyboy

I can't believe I forgot Mummy Returns! It's fantastic my second favorite Silvestri, after Forrest Gump. I love how the first track immediatly gets you into the mood. currently tracks 1, 6, and especialy 13 are my favorites.

Also Poledouris' Conan is great. A lot of people love his Robocop, but I find it (like Total Recall) a bit too synthetic for my taste.

;) Nuclear Scam from The Hunt for Red October (Poledouris, of course)

Goldsmith's Rambo - First Blood Part 2 has a good quantity of action material. King Solomon's Mines does too, but is stupendously cheesy, and the performance of the Hungarian State Opera Orchestra (particularly the percussionists) leaves something to be desired.

Also, if you like Debney's Cutthroat Island, you'll probably enjoy The Scorpion King.

Also, if you like Debney's Cutthroat Island, you'll probably enjoy The Scorpion King.

I would have, if Shawn Murphy had not screwed it up with one of his worst soundmixes ever.

But Jimbo is right about Rambo: First Blood- Part II, it's THE actionscore.

Stefancos- who does not consider The Rock to be THAT thematically rich.

I hate this god damned log in thing! I just wrote this whole thing about the Rock and it got erased!

Any way- does anyone know what James Newton Howard did on The Rock, and how he got entangled with Zimmer and Co.?

What's up with Aliens? Nobody said Aliens, but it was used constantly in trailers before the electronic stuff took over. Actually, it's still used a bit. One of the Minority Report trailers ended with it. But Neil and Chris also have points with Total Recall and Air Force One. After that, I'd probably add Clear and Present Danger and The Mask of Zorro (with "The Plaza of Execution" and "'Leave No Witnesses...'", how can you not call it an action score, too?).

I didn't mention Aliens because a good portion of it is suspense and not that action packed. Total Recall on the other hand hardly ever lets up.

Neil

Heh...I probably said Aliens because I had a dream last night where I was killing Predators, but "Futile Escape" was playing no matter where I went, as if I was wearing headphones.

Parts of Demolition Man (GOldenthal), First Blood, Broughton's Lost in Space (great writing), Stargate, Alien3 (just kidding), believe it or not "Reno Ho" from COBB is one of the most kick-ass action pieces I've ever heard. There are 2 versions on the disc and the recap is psychotic. Goldenthal couldn'y be touched in the early '90's. He just kept coming out with quality material.,,whoops, kinda digressed.

If you're looking for action material in a Williams vein, Goldsmith certainly isn't the composer to turn to..

Joel McNeely, Michael Giacchino, and David Arnold have built part of their careers on aping Williams, so you might want to look at some of their work..

Hmm, how bout the Matrix, Back to the Future, E.T. (if you consider that adventure), The Lord of the Rings, Braveheart, The Patriot, Indiana Jones, X-men 2, Men In Black, Superman, Batman, the Bond theme, The Hulk, even AI could be classified as adventure. I could go on for days really, but those will work for now. These all are some of many of my favorites.

David Arnold have built part of their careers on aping Williams,

Obviously you have never actually heard anything Arnold has written.

Sorry, I meant Nicholas Dodd. :P

Looking for some thing that sounds like Williams? Well, then turn to Robert Folk's powerhouse score to Lawnmower Man 2. Also listen to Joel McNeely's "Cadillac Freefall" from Terminal Velocity. In addition to those, this Christmas pick up Michael Giacchino's score to the LucasArts video game Secret Weapons Over Normandy. Giacchino has re-written the book on action scoring with that one!

Other kick ass action scores include...

Waterworld (Newton Howard)

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (Kamen)

Die Hard 2 (Kamen)

The Mask of Zorro (Horner)

Prince Valiant (Waxman)

Any thing action-y from Korngold

Any thing action-y from Rozsa

The Mummy Returns (Silvestri)

Independence Day (Arnold)

Those are just a few... and some have already been said.

-Erik-

Never noticed much Techno in John Williams score actually.

Stefancos- who thinks Alan is either sarcastic, or deaf.

It seems we've been listening to different David Arnold scores... time to get The World is Not Enough out of your CD player!

I think more in the line of aliens and swordsmen. :)