What is JW's most joyous composition?

crumbs

Going the off-beat route, I'd like to nominate his theme for the shortlived THE TAMMY GRIMES SHOW - probably the wackiest and quirkiest (and hence also most upbeat) thing he's ever done.

Some great examples so far! Nice work all.

41 minutes ago, Thor said:

Going the off-beat route, I'd like to nominate his theme for the shortlived THE TAMMY GRIMES SHOW - probably the wackiest and quirkiest (and hence also most upbeat) thing he's ever done.

@Thor I have never heard of this! Can you please link the exact piece of music you're referring to?

7 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I don't know which is the most joyful, but the warmest might be Song for World Peace. Not that anybody asked for it.

I raise you End Title/End Cast. (The Title part of the track)

Great topic! I still have access to my original impressions of this track before I knew about the embedded Emperor’s Theme, and it was one of the most joyous pieces of music of any kind I’d ever heard. (It’s also worth noting that I formed these impressions after hearing only the album, before the movie was able to sully them with itself.)

3 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

I got that beat, I got that beat.

It's so light and carefree!

Nice.  Williams likes to write horse music.  The Land Race has already been mentioned, and the horse race from the Reivers Suite should get a shout out too.  And, also in the ballpark:

Some others:

Out to Sea from Jaws

The Open Sea from Jaws 2

To the Lair from Superman.

The Train Robbery from Missouri Breaks.

Jim's New Life from Empire of the Sun

Flight to Neverland, the end of Remembering Childhood, and End Credits from Hook

Take to Your Ships from The Phantom Menace

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I think the more booming adult choir used the Spielberg/Williams III album made it a bit less joyous and a bit more stern.  Kind of like how the adult choir in Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas can come across as a bit OOT and abrasive, which I don't think is the intention of the piece

I agree with you there.  The more common version where the choir starts the piece is less preferable to the version with the short jaunty orchestral intro:

3 hours ago, Hedji said:

I agree with you there.  The more common version where the choir starts the piece is less preferable to the version with the short jaunty orchestral intro:

Yes! I prefer the version, with the intro too! 

Why yes, I believe you could consider that a more modern example.

I think, though that it was the first time in several films in the Saga, that Williams finally let loose with the Main Title, both A and B sections after holding it back throughout the Prequels and Sequels.  It certainly is emotional given the context of the scene, but if I'm being honest, as much as I love that moment (which brought me to tears), it still isn't played with the gusto of the previous examples.

Just the little things in those examples I quoted, like the parade like nature of the Raiders March as Indy boards the sub, and the extra dotted note given to the Superman theme as he lifts the helicopter. It's just a bit more.

On 2/15/2021 at 3:47 PM, Jay said:

I wouldn't say this is his most joyous, but it's what first came to my mind when I saw the thread title

I think the more booming adult choir used the Spielberg/Williams III album made it a bit less joyous and a bit more stern.  Kind of like how the adult choir in Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas can come across as a bit OOT and abrasive, which I don't think is the intention of the piece

This is what first came to my mind as well! Feels very much like a song of triumphant, jubilant celebration without the more formal/refined sheen of a lot of his other "happy" fanfares.