Junkie XL's JUSTICE LEAGUE (2021)

Edmilson

The Junk theme for BvS wasn't half bad. While I skipped over huge sections of that OST, the Batman theme was an attempt at something melodic and the solo trumpet reminded me of the Elliot Goldenthal music. I think he can come up with decent melodies, but he tries excruciatingly hard to be Modern and Edgy with his ridiculous noise. The same is true of Zimmer's score for that Stinker Man of Steel. The opinions of his music here are all hyperbolic. 

Zimmer's score for MoS was pretty bad. One of the worst he's ever written for a big budget movie. To this day I still don't know how he associated violent and brutal percussion with Superman.

WW84 is a score that resembles much more what Superman stands for and what he represents.

7 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Zimmer's score for MoS was pretty bad. One of the worst he's ever written for a big budget movie. To this day I still don't know how he associated violent and brutal percussion with Superman.

WW84 is a score that resembles much more what Superman stands for and what he represents.

I'm trying to track down where I heard this quote from. I know it was in some featurette / interview with Zimmer, but as I recall, the explanation for the drums was simple: "What's more American than drums?" I wish I was joking.

Another great quote that I remember vaguely, that stuck with me, from Man of Steel featurettes was something about how if you just use one drummer in a score it sounds "cheesy" and he compares it to a solo violin which is really "in your face" vs a string section which sounds better or something like that. Ironically, he did sessions with a solo violinist for Man of Steel as well. XD

And something about the steel guitar sounds representing like...powerlines in cornfields or something. He talks like this is an extraordinarily profound score.

9 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Because that kind of masculine scoring is exactly what Snyder looks for? Intergalactic beings battling each other in an epic conflict. I think a better question is, what makes you think a WW84 score for that movie fits better?

9 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

The Junk theme for BvS wasn't half bad. While I skipped over huge sections of that OST, the Batman theme was an attempt at something melodic and the solo trumpet reminded me of the Elliot Goldenthal music. I think he can come up with decent melodies, but he tries excruciatingly hard to be Modern and Edgy with his ridiculous noise. The same is true of Zimmer's score for that Stinker Man of Steel. The opinions of his music here are all hyperbolic. 

Zimmer wrote the Batman theme in BvS, not Junkie. 

BVS and MOS both also suffered from bad album selections. Some of the better tracks (Like Lois Escape from the ship, or the Wonderwoman Variants) were bizarrely not picked in place of tracks even I find difficult to listen to like Tuesday or Oil Rig. And I am a sucker for drums.

8 hours ago, Mephariel said:

Zimmer wrote the Batman theme in BvS, not Junkie. 

Didn't Zimmer say in press that the reason he brought on Junkie for BvS was because he had already done a batman theme for Nolan.

So he got Junkie to do Batman theme and he developed his superman material and the two collaborated from there on.

According to info posted on HZ's fansite, he scored most of the Batman scenes, while Junkie's involvement was minimal.

Aside from the action scenes, he didn't do very much on that score. This is why I consider BvS much more a Zimmer score than a Junkie one.

Tracklist

https://filmmusicreporter.com/2021/03/05/zack-snyders-justice-league-soundtrack-album-details/

1. Song to the Siren – Rose Betts
2. A Hunter Gathers
3. Migratory
4. Things Fall Apart
5. Wonder Woman Defending / And What Rough Beast
6. World Ending Fire
7. Middle Mass
8. Long Division
9. No Paradise, No Fall
10. The Center Will Not Hold, Twenty Centuries of Stony Sleep
11. As Above, So Below
12. No Dog, No Master
13. Take This Kingdom by Force
14. A Splinter from the Thorn That Pricked You
15. Cyborg Becoming / Human All Too Human
16. The Path Chooses You
17. Aquaman Returning / Carry Your Own Water
18. The Provenance of Something Gathered
19. We Do This Together
20. The Will to Power
21. Smoke Become Fire
22. I Teach You, the Overman
23. A Glimmer at the Door of the Living
24. How We Achieve Ourselves
25. The Sun Forever Rising
26. Underworld
27. Superman Rising, Pt. 1 / A Book of Hours
28. Beyond Good and Evil
29. Monument Builder
30. Monument Destroyer
31. Urgrund
32. So Begins the End
33. The House of Belonging
34. Earthling
35. Flight Is Our Nature
36. Indivisible
37. And the Lion-Earth Did Roar, Pt. 1
38. And the Lion-Earth Did Roar, Pt. 2
39. Superman Rising, Pt. 2 / Immovable
40. At the Speed of Force
41. My Broken Boy
42. That Terrible Strength
43. An Eternal Reoccurrence of Change
44. We Slay Ourselves
45. Your Own House Turned to Ashes
46. All of You Undisturbed Cities
47. The Art of Preserving Fire
48. The Crew at Warpower
49. The Foundation Theme (from Zack Snyder’s Justice League)
50. Batman, a Duty to Fight / To See
51. Batman, an Invocation to Heal / To Be Seen
52. Wonder Woman, a Call to Stand / A World Awakened
53. Flash, The Space to Win / Our Legacy Is Now
54. Hallelujah – Allison Crowe

I presume its supposed to be a track that covers an important movie scene?

Lord if I know why else they'd choose that one.

Just asking... a 4 hours and a half release... it's only digital? Will they release 4 CDs? 8 LPs?

How do you marketing this?

6 hours ago, Bespin said:

Just asking... a 4 hours and a half release... it's only digital? Will they release 4 CDs? 8 LPs?

How do you marketing this?

JXL confirmed vinyl.... not sure about CD

On 3/10/2021 at 1:03 AM, The Big Man said:

Justice League is a Joss Whedon film. Own it, WB!

It's literally not. Snyder was unceremoniously fired and then Joss came in and shot a bunch of close-ups with blurry footage and matched it with Snyder's action scenes and scored it hastily with Elfman using wildly terrible themes. This is Snyder's film, and Joss's is about to be destroyed forever. 1 weeks and counting...

3 hours ago, bondo said:

It's literally not. Snyder was unceremoniously fired and then Joss came in and shot a bunch of close-ups with blurry footage and matched it with Snyder's action scenes and scored it hastily with Elfman using wildly terrible themes. This is Snyder's film, and Joss's is about to be destroyed forever. 1 weeks and counting...

Joss > Zack.

7 hours ago, bondo said:

If estimates are correct, then he did a little bit more than that. We'll know for sure when we have the Snyder Cut, but he definitely altered the final act of the film significantly, adding the Russian Family, changing the look, cutting characters out of scenes and putting them in other locations, I believe even the "Feeding on Fear" thing with the parademons was added by him as well. I'm interested in comparing the two.

This score is being heavily promoted. Billbord.com puff piece.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/9539555/zack-snyders-justice-league-soundtrack-date-track-list

Official artwork below.

Junkie calls it the Mount Everest of film scores.

ARTWORK-Zack-Snyders-Justice-League-Soun

3 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Junkie calls it the Mount Everest of film scores.

ARTWORK-Zack-Snyders-Justice-League-Soun

If he loses a toe, his debt for this trash might be paid. 

Reprises/Tracked music from MOS and BVS below per leaks

"I Just Wanted To Help" From Man Of Steel 
Composed By Hans Zimmer 

"First Flight" From Man Of Steel 
Composed By Hans Zimmer 

"Who Are You" From Man Of Steel 
Composed By Hans Zimmer 

"The Girl" From Batman V. Superman: Dawn Of Justice 
Composed By Hans Zimmer, Robert Badami, Melissa Muik, Mark Andrew Wherry And Steve Mazzaro 

"Wishlist" From Batman V. Superman: Dawn Of Justice 
Composed By Hans Zimmer And Benjamin Wallfisch 

"Main Titles Part 1" From Batman V. Superman: Dawn Of Justice
Composed By Hans Zimmer, Robert Badami, Melissa Muik And Mark Andrew Wherry

"The Warden" From Batman V. Superman: Dawn Of Justice 
Composed By Hans Zimmer And Steve Mazzaro

MOS References - 

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20819-the-complete-cue-lists-thread/page/15/&tab=comments#comment-1101392

http://cuebycue.blogspot.com/2016/04/man-of-steel-zimmer-2013.html

BVS References - 

http://dccomicsmovie.com/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-complete-soundtrack-unveiled/

Given some people were quick to jump to some of the key new sequences of the film when the mishap occurred, I'm not surprised the credits were skimmed through as well.

The lack of "Clark Kent, Reporter" (What Are You Going To Do When You Are Not Saving The World?) is making me concerned that specific theme isn't gonna show up, unless it's such a radical reinterpretation that it doesn't sound like its MoS counterpart.

The presence of Beautiful Lie does surprise me, given they sort of made it sound like Bats was going a completely new direction sound wise. Guess MARTHA is gonna factor into this somewhere.

Do wonder what the Lex material will be used for, besides in relation to all the stuff he spouted at the end of BvS.

8 hours ago, TSMefford said:

Wow. Everyone figured that out already?

It was in the end credits. People have seen the Snyder cut.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

So this will be the third movie where we'll listen to Beautiful Lie, the first two being BvS and WW84. 

It's pratically DCEU's main theme so far.

Beautiful Lie is the BvS Main title?

24 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

It was in the end credits. People have seen the Snyder cut.

Ah. So...damn...we have 4 hours of new Junkie score PLUS all these tracked cues? I assume at least some of these may be reinterpreted, but if they're in the credits then it usually means that they're used as is.