Martin Scorsese criticizes streamers: ‘Cinema Is Being Devalued by Content’

Edmilson

The problem is that directors like Scorcese, Scott & Nolan (like them or not), and a handful of others, are a dying breed, and I think we're at the tail end of the era of the director as visionary/artist.  Hollywood isn't going to allow it to get to a point where directors have that much power again, and Disney is leading the way on this. There's a reason most of the Marvel movies look like they could have been directed by the same person.  And this is doubly true for heavy SFX movies, which are mostly crafted in post.

The present & future is suits at media and tech companies deciding what kind of "content" to create based on market research and hiring competent directors with the requisite skills who are happy to have the gig to put it on screen. Basically, what TV directors have always done.  Then just hope that we're all more worried about who has what "property" and what the box office is on our favourite "franchise" (appropriately a word traditionally associated with McDonalds) to stop and realise most of the content sucks.

I don’t really get it.  The word “content” is annoying as used, agreed but is the grumble that one word has (always had) more than one meaning?  Content vs. form was always a separate technical idea from the table of contents of a book, which I’d argue is more akin to what a streaming service’s “content” is - the stuff that’s inside.

Is this a Spielbergian anti-streaming thng even in spite of The Irishman?  Is he arguing that bad movies weren’t churned out decades ago, but now they exist thanks to streaming services?

I’m curious if that’s actually the case.  Before, tons of low-budget and no-budget indies were made and released to small market festivals or not making it in to those, and then disappearing forever or possibly getting a direct to video or budget DVD release. Streaming services, in their push for “content,” just snatch those up now.

Another metric that would be virtually impossible to figure out - if the number of movies has increased, has the needle moved at all on the percentage of those movies that are good vs. bad?  Like, sure, there are a ton of bad movies on Netflix, but are there also enough decent ones that even it out to the hit/miss ratio we’d see in a pre-streaming multiplex?  I think it would be extremely generous to say that 30% of movies were good at that time, especially by Scorsese’s Fellini curation metric.

No he's saying the movies that are good are being devalued by just being shat out alongside all the other shit dumped on streaming services, often with little ceremony.  Were there bad and cynical movies always made?  Obviously, but in the age of the movie theater choices were more limited so good movies had more of a chance to be seen (and with an audience!).  He's made a deal with the devil because Netflix will let him make the movies he wants, but he's saying great movies were meant to be seen in a cinema and I agree with him.

29 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

he's saying great movies weren't meant to be seen in a cinema and I agree with him.

You mean "WERE meant to be seen in a cinema", right?

Not sure I entirely agree. A great movie is a great movie regardless of viewing conditions...

18 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

You mean "WERE meant to be seen in a cinema", right?

Yes sorry that was a typo.  Fixed!

18 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Not sure I entirely agree. A great movie is a great movie regardless of viewing conditions...

I didn't say they were only great when seen in a cinema!

32 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Well, yes. You can watch Casablanca on your mobile and recognize its greatness. And entire generation grew up with and fell in love with Star Wars in 4:3 on VHS. At the same time, the best movie theatre (or home theatre) in the world isn't going to make a bad movie good. So yeah, a film's greatness is independent of the conditions in which its viewed. 

That said, viewing conditions can certainly help bring out that greatness, and add to appreciating it.

I think every movie is better viewed in a theater - prestige movies, dumb comedies, horror movies, etc.  I think the chains will make it through the pandemic, but hopefully we don't lose too many small or indie theaters.

I appreciate Scorsese not liking that quality movies get lost in the streaming mush - but they DID promote the hell out of the Irishman, much more than they promote  the small dumb stuff (and they do the same with other movies that are award contenders or crowd pleasers, much more than just pushing it to the top of their app's load screen).  So I don't think it got lost in the shuffle, even though a large portion of Netflix's younger users might have shrugged it off as not for them.

Not sure if that's a joke or not, but in case it isn't, people who use a specific platform are users!  Netflix users watch movies and TV, Spotify users listen to music, pHbboard users post on message boards.  It doesn't mean they are not also watchers, listeners, and posters!

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I proudly saw The Irishman in a movie theater at 10am on a weekday with 8 other weirdos!

Lucky you. I still haven't seen it. There were no theatrical release here so to me it's like if the movie had never get a release. Waiting for the dvd to exist... and that's long...

That's one thing I hate about streaming services.  They keep their movies as proprietary streaming "content."  That means for the most part, there is no home video release.  No opportunity to watch it when you're not plugged in, and no opportunity to watch it in the higher quality that a disc would provide.

Otherwise, I love them.  We have no TV/cable service at all.  We subscribe to every streaming service that interests us and it's still an infinitesimal amount of money per month vs. the cost of what any monthly cable bill we've ever had.  If a show or movie that we want to watch isn't on there, which is very few, we will buy or rent it and still fall well below that cable bill threshold.

10 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Lucky you. I still haven't seen it. There were no theatrical release here so to me it's like if the movie had never get a release. Waiting for the dvd to exist... and that's long...

It got a Criterion release this past November!!!!

https://www.criterion.com/films/30553-the-irishman

The Irishman

37 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The Irishman

Damn it looks great! Love the artwork here.

This discussion reminds me of the @mstrox's content maker / job creator joke on Twitter.

58 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The Irishman

Painstakingly restored from the original negatives.

• 5 months later...

Matt Damon thinks 'superheroes and streaming' are ruining movies!

https://screenrant.com/matt-damon-movies-streaming-superheroes-bad/

Streaming:

- The way they (kids) watch is different to how we did. How can you watch a movie if you are texting? As someone who makes these things I can’t say I love that. Movies as we know them aren’t going to be a thing in our kids’ lives. And that makes me sad.

Superheroes:

- It made the most profitable movie, one that could travel around the world. And if you want a movie to travel and play big you want the least amount of cultural confusion. So there is the rise of the superhero movie, right? They’re easy for everyone. You know who the good person is, who the bad person is. They fight three times and the good person wins twice.