Martin Scorsese criticizes streamers: ‘Cinema Is Being Devalued by Content’

Edmilson

It’s strange to me how people watch movies without focusing on the movie. Same with shows. Why live tweet an episode instead of actually watching it.

A cinema experience can’t be topped but even at home I don’t see the appeal of browsing or texting while I watch something, unless maybe if it’s a sit com or something like that.

5 hours ago, Mr. Who said:

It’s strange to me how people watch movies without focusing on the movie. Same with shows. Why live tweet an episode instead of actually watching it.

A cinema experience can’t be topped but even at home I don’t see the appeal of browsing or texting while I watch something, unless maybe if it’s a sit com or something like that.

When I am in a theatre and distracted by a phone my redneck ass lets that person know I didn't come to the movies to see their damn phone. 

One dick replied this is an important phonecall, talking about his wife, i replied then take it outside. My other half was pissed at me but the other movie goers were not.

Just now, JoeinAR said:

my redneck ass lets that person I didn't come here their damn phone. 

What?

2 hours ago, Jay said:

What?

Hopefully I made it more readable.

9 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

The absolute best way to see a film is in a crowded theatre. 

The best way is in an empty theatre (no obnoxious people to distract you) that has perfect projection quality (fat chance of that happening).

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

The best way is in an empty theatre (no obnoxious people to distract you) that has perfect projection quality (fat chance of that happening).

For better or worse, I've had empty or near-empty theatre experiences several times. After the busy opening weekend, the theatres are mostly devoid of life especially during the middle of the day during a school term.

7 hours ago, AC1 said:

Incorrect. A packed audience provides a better shared experience. 

Comedies are funnier, horror films are scarier, and love stories are more romantic. 

2 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Incorrect. A packed audience provides a better shared experience. 

Movies aren't sports, Joe.

106422623-1583263287565sports-fans_t20_a

Only big and loud spectacles are made for the 'arena'. 

So, yeah, what's 'incorrect' to you is very true for me. Different strokes for different folks. 

I can easily picture Alex being the lone rider on a roller coaster.

Sad

I think my last theatrical visit was Blade Runner The Final Cut. It was actually an unusual good theatrical experience because the projection quality was great, but more importantly, every single visitor was a hardcore BR fanatic who demanded absolute silence and respect during the movie. It was if I watched the movie alone. Never experienced something like that before. 

I don’t think I can make a blanket statement.  I’ve had a shitty time at plenty of crowded horror movies and comedies because the crowd sucked.  I’ve had a great time in completely empty theaters - openly laughed and felt appropriately creeped out.  Having managed a theater, I’ve run movies for just myself or for small crowds plenty of times.

When the crowd is right, it’s electric though.  Can’t imagine sitting in an empty theater for the portals scene in Avengers Endgame for instance. Maybe Scorsese and Matt Damon woulda liked the experience.