So Tim Burton is directing a live action Addams Family spinoff show for Netflix - WEDNESDAY

Jay

Yes, I read about this awhile back. Seems like a tailormade project. Always thought Shaiman's feature film score owed a lot to Elfman, and now Elfman (hopefully) gets to do his own spin on the material. At the very least a theme.

I didn't even consider that Elfman might score this.

Well, that'd be cool, even if its just one episode and then another composer or composers use his themes for the rest

8 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Count me off. This is the end of new ideas. I don't understand why Burton will do that.

Oh yes I know: money.

Probably true, but I think it's more about the budget that he might get to make a movie.

50 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

What an unnecessary project.

This is what they called mindless "content".

No, this sounds like it has real potential. I’m a huge Burton fan, so my opinion’s obviously colored by that. But there’s nothing bad about the premise, and while using an Addams Family frame is far from original, if that’s what it takes to get Netflix to produce Burton, then so be it. 

And it goes without saying that the prospect of an Elfman score is too tantalizing to ignore! 😊 

Pass. Sounds like Chilling Adventures of Sabrina but with Wednesday Addams for some reason. Why not just reboot Addams Family as a series? That sounds like more fun.

Eh.

10 hours ago, Jay said:

I didn't even consider that Elfman might score this.

Well, that'd be cool, even if its just one episode and then another composer or composers use his themes for the rest

I thought Elfman was offered the original Addams Family movie and turned it down. I'm sure the eventual composer talked about being the "second choice" and was asked to ape Elfman's style or something. I'll see if I can find the quotes.

You might be, Thor!  With the caveat that I have not seen big eyes, I’ve only really liked Big Fish and Sweeney Todd in the past twenty years.  Before that, he was almost all hits for me.

20 minutes ago, mstrox said:

You might be, Thor!  With the caveat that I have not seen big eyes, I’ve only really liked Big Fish and Sweeney Todd in the past twenty years.  Before that, he was almost all hits for me.

BIG EYES was bad, I'll give you that. But if the project is right, I see no reason for why he can't come up with something good. I often meet people who think he "washed up" after BIG FISH, but I've liked almost every film since then - with the exception of the aforementioned BIG EYES and DUMBO. ALICE IN WONDERLAND is very uneven, but that prologue, pre-Wonderland, is amazing.

3 hours ago, The Big Man said:

You know your angry faces do nothing for my like count?

I know, it wasn't the objective. It was just the closest reaction available here, there ain't a jaded emoji. I think this one would be more accurate :pat:

2 hours ago, Thor said:

I don't buy into this notion that Burton is somehow washed up. Am I the only one who really enjoyed MISS PEREGRINE in 2016?

No, I find it nice too.

18 minutes ago, Thor said:

BIG EYES was bad ...

I liked Big Eyes even though it wasn't mega. 

RT: 72%

I haven't seen Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children but ...

RT: 64% 

:pfft:

30 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I’ve only really liked Big Fish and Sweeney Todd in the past twenty years.  

That's the second highly stylized movie we both like. :o

Big Eyes was okay, I guess, but very forgettable. I do remember liking Elfman's score in the context of the movie.

Miss Peregrine was another one I watched and also forgot everything about it. Nothing was memorable about that one. 

Haven't seen Dumbo yet, and probably never will.

17 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Miss Peregrine was another one I watched and also forgot everything about it. Nothing was memorable about that one.

I've listen to the score recently and it was surprisingly pretty good although it's not Elfman there was some interesting ideas.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2021/12/16/danny-elfman-chris-bacon-to-score-netflixs-wednesday-tv-series/

Netflix announced today that Danny Elfman (Spider-Man, Batman, Alice in Wonderland, The Nightmare Before Christmas) and Chris Bacon (Source Code, Gnomeo & Juliet, Bates Motel) are set to compose the original music for the streamer’s upcoming original series Wednesday. Elfman is writing the theme and is collaborating with Bacon to score the show created by Al Gough & Miles Millar (Smallville, Shanghai Noon) based on the character from The Addams Family and starring Jenna Ortega in the title role, Catherine Zeta-Jones as Morticia Addams and Luis Guzmán as Gomez Addams.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Well with Tim Burton, we can hope the dark humor will be present. I hope because this teaser is not very... funny.

Do we know if David Krumholtz is back too?

Joel Glicker GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

Geeked Week?

9 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Well with Tim Burton, we can hope the dark humor will be present. I hope because this teaser is not very... funny.

It's been so long since Tim was funny, it's easy to forget how funny he once was

The only Burton movies that aren't part comedy are probably Planet of the Apes and Big Eyes. I think his funniest film is Sleepy Hollow, actually.

Anyway, there's nothing to get excited about here. I always hope for a comeback for Burton, but this is far too on-the-nose a choice of project for him.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

Luis Guzman is an odd choice for Gomez. 

I believe the idea is to get closer to the original New Yorker cartoons where Morticia is tall and striking and Gomez looks likes a weird ugly wart (clearly modeled on Peter Lorre I'd say)

image.png

I'm not saying this is a good idea necessarily, considering how established he is in the public imagination as like a suave debonair figure, but it is a choice!