So Tim Burton is directing a live action Addams Family spinoff show for Netflix - WEDNESDAY

Jay

Wait, there is a James Horner emoji and you guys didn't tell me? :o

I'm now gonna use it now every time I listen to a score of his - which means I'll use it quite frequently :james: :james: :james:

I think, Burton just uses exaggeration as stylistic element and it is up to the viewer to take it as a joke, as irony or just as a quirky trademark that you can love or hate. 

I often didn't like it because it looked to me sometimes that way he tried to make things appear more special than they actually were. Just louder and pushier. 

But still he made some great movies.  

31 minutes ago, Stu said:

He hasn’t made a single movie that I wouldn’t call a comedy in some way.  Finding the jokes is something he can’t stop himself from doing.

Maybe, but jokes isn't what I take away from Ed Wood. I don't even remember laughing during the movie. Come to think of it, I don't remember laughing during Sweeney Todd either, my other favorite Tim Burton movie, which to me is dark and beautiful. I suppose Mars Attacks is what I would deem closer to a real comedy but that movie only made me nervous.

6 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Sigh

The TV shows that actually are "six/eight/ten hour movies" are one of the worst things of the streaming era. 

I disagree. Just like with any other storytelling avenues -- sometimes they're bad, sometimes they're good, and sometimes they're great!

I think that your criticism is clearly directed at something like Obi-Wan Kenobi. Fair.

But what about Moon Knight? I for one am super glad that ended up as a six episode Disney+ series rather than a movie, as it really allowed characters and the world to be fleshed out much more. In fact by and large I think for Phase 4 of the MCU, the Disney+ "TV content" has far outclassed the theatrical releases! (Even though I really enjoyed Shang-Chi, I think it may have been even better as a six episode D+ show.)

Netflix has been doing a GREAT job with some of those "six/eight/ten hour movies" -- two that especially come to mind are Scott Frank's Godless, and perhaps even moreso The Queen's Gambit. I think each of these were essentially seven hour movies, and they were WONDERFUL. The Queen's Gambit had been getting developed as a theatrical film for years and years, attached to various actresses... and thank GOODNESS it ended up as this seven hour limited Netflix series. I guarantee you that a two hour movie would have been a far weaker experience.

Another I remember really liking was this one done a few years earlier by the BBC:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Strange_%26_Mr_Norrell_(TV_series)

They were adapting a beloved one-off novel which many people would have said to turn into a film. But that would have been crammed, with many important things cut out. A seven episode limited series was FAR better for this material. It's not always a matter of stretching things out that would have been better as a two hour film. You've got to assess these things on a case-by-case basis.

Heck, even before the streaming era back in the mid-90s, the BBC Pride & Prejudice adaptation with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth was done over six hourlong episodes and STILL for my money is the best Austen adaptation that's ever been done... far, FAR better than any of the 2 hour theatrical films that have attempted to capture the book.

Yavar

I was disappointed by the Jonathan Strange adaptation, but I was probably always going to be.  The book is my favorite novel of this century, but the atmosphere created by the language and writing style is almost unreproducible in another medium. 

Everyone should read that book though, it rules.

12 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I disagree. Just like with any other storytelling avenues -- sometimes they're bad, sometimes they're good, and sometimes they're great!

I think that your criticism is clearly directed at something like Obi-Wan Kenobi. Fair.

Yeah, I was mainly thinking about the Disney+ series when I wrote the comment. Most of them (Obi-Wan, Boba Fett, Falcon & Winter Soldier, etc) were created as six-to-eight-hour movies, and so there was something very unsatisfying about their episodes. Maybe if they were released all at once (like Netflix) instead of weekly, it would've gone down a lot smoother.

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

I was disappointed by the Jonathan Strange adaptation, but I was probably always going to be.  The book is my favorite novel of this century, but the atmosphere created by the language and writing style is almost unreproducible in another medium. 

Everyone should read that book though, it rules.

I guarantee you would have been much MORE disappointed by a 2 hour movie adaptation (or even a 3 hour movie adaptation). Surely your disappointment in the 7 hour version was nothing to do with it being too stretched out?

4 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Yeah, I was mainly thinking about the Disney+ series when I wrote the comment. Most of them (Obi-Wan, Boba Fett, Falcon & Winter Soldier, etc) were created as six-to-eight-hour movies, and so there was something very unsatisfying about their episodes. Maybe if they were released all at once (like Netflix) instead of weekly, it would've gone down a lot smoother.

But I don't think being created as six-to-eight-hour movies is inherently what makes some of these six-to-eight-hour movies disappointing.

Was Boba Fett really envisioned much differently from season 1 of The Mandalorian? Yet the latter turned out fantastic, IMO. And you similarly picked Falcon & Winter Soldier because it was the most disappointing of all the MCU Disney+ shows... but I don't think the length was the issue with that. There was some really great stuff in it which likely wouldn't have made it into a two hour movie. It just had a really sucky antagonist...something that can be said about many Marvel 2 hour movies.

Yavar

47 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Surely your disappointment in the 7 hour version was nothing to do with it being too stretched out?

Yeah, it was more like... it made the story feel kind of ordinary and drab.  It couldn't get across the odd wrong feeling of the supernatural that she does in the book.  Like you can describe how the world of magic and Faerie makes one feel sort of intoxicated and the "wrongness" of experiencing something outside of your normal perception of reality in a way that's hard to get across in a show where it's just actors on a set.  The show also didn't have enough of Clarke's dry humor.

Looks great.

I really like that she took fencing & cello lessons to make everything more believable. She takes it very seriously, that's great to see. It looks like she is inhabiting the role very well.

Jenna is a great actress, can't wait

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jay said:

Strangely this show won't be out in time for Halloween

The 1991 Addams Family came out on November 22nd. (Same night as Disney's Beauty and the Beast in case you were curious.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, scallenger said:

For the life of me I don't understand why they released this in November and not October, but okay... I do still want to see it.

Because the Addams Family movies came out in November.

• 2 weeks later...

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2022/11/21/netflix-wednesday-soundtrack-album-details/

1. Main Titles (1:09)
2. Thing Follows Rowen (2:16)
3. Morticia and Wednesday (3:09)
4. Secret Library (2:33)
5. Scorpion Flashback (2:07)
6. The Monster (2:26)
7. Family Day (1:18)
8. Burning Outcasts (4:50)
9. Wednesday on the Case (3:31)
10. Dress Shopping (2:00)
11. Gomez Accused of Murder (1:50)
12. A Dove and a Raven (1:56)
13. Gomez’ Story (2:46)
14. A More Than Adequate Father (1:33)
15. It’s A Snood (0:48)
16. Morticia’s Yearbook (1:28)
17. Devious Plan (1:29)
18. I Will Find You (2:56)
19. Searching the House (5:19)
20. The Monster Is Here! (3:04)
21. Uncle Fester (0:54)
22. Annoying Distractions (3:23)
23. Fester and Wednesday Stakeout (1:28)
24. Let’s Roll (0:29)
25. Stabbed in the Back (3:28)
26. First Kiss (1:34)
27. Wednesday Packs Up (3:33)
28. Crackstone Rises (2:43)
29. Goody Heals Wednesday (1:55)
30. Enid to the Rescue (3:22)
31. The Hug (3:36)
32. The End…? (3:06)
33. End Credits (1:30)
34. Meet Wednesday (0:56)
35. Fencing (1:46)
36. Secret Symbols (1:45)
37. Poe Cup Fanfare (1:14)
38. Poe Cup Race (4:57)
39. One More Chance (1:27)
40. A Safe Cracking Thing (1:36)
41. Nightshades (1:52)
42. Wednesday and Pugsley (0:57)
43. Xavier and Wednesday (2:07)
44. Morticia’s Story (3:26)
45. The Gates Mansion (2:13)
46. Roomies No More (0:53)
47. Crackstone Defeated (2:44)
48. Wednesday Addams (End Titles) (1:34)

I wathed the first 2 episodes. I really enjoyed it. It's right up my alley. As both a big fan of the films from the 90's and as a Bueton fan  this is a real treat. It really feels like it's a mix between these 2 worlds.

Burton's usual stylings are noticable but it's the most mainstream thing he has done in years.

The whole production is magnificent. You can feel that the sets have actually been build. It all feels very real. It's not a show that throws CGI at you.

Jenna Ortega IS Wednesday. It's absolutely perfect casting and Ortega gives a star performance. I love it.

Gwendoline Christie is also very good and her character is very interesting.

Catherine-Zeta Jones & Luis Guzman are both good and lots of fun as Morticia & Gomez. Both are also perfectly cast.

It's also really nice to see Christina Ricci. Her role is not very big, but she's a joy to watch. But if you're watchimg for her, then you can better watch Yellowjackets, where she's incredible.

The script is very clever and the mystery at the center of the story is exciting and fun. The writers, I think, do a great job.

The music by Elfman & Bacon is similarly great. It's very much a Burton/Elfman score, but also fits perfectly with Shaiman's Addams Family scores. I really like it.

The album's not chronological, but I'm working on that while watching the show.

I've also notoced that there are some orchestral covers of songs in the series.

Up to this point Pain It Black from The Stones, Don't Stop from Fleetwood Mac & Nothing Else Matters from Metellica have appeared. And it's a shame they're not on the album, because they are really good

If I'm being kind, there is maybe -- maybe -- some 30 minutes of mediocre music hidden away on this album. At most. But at 1 hour 49 minutes, it's an outrage and very irritating that I, as a completist, need this travesty to take up space in my iTunes. In other words, the score does nothing for me. However, as a longtime Burton/Elfman fan, I feel obligated to at least check out the show itself on Netflix.

Actually, the main score program of this release is only 89 minutes - tracks 1 to 33.

Everything after that is bonus tracks you don't need to listen to every time.

I thought the main program was pretty good!

89 is still 59 too many. I suppose I'll look into playlisting it at some point, but I don't feel very inspired at the moment. It's one of those things that would never have entered my collection if it weren't for Elfman's involvement. Would be interested in seeing who did what; would maybe make playlisting easier.

Finished the show. I loved it. Great all the way through, woth some fun twist (some of which I saw coming)

Again Ortega is fantastic as Wednesday!!

See chronological order of the album below.

Spoiler

Episode 1
• Meet Wednesday
• Wednesday Main Titles
• Morticia Amd Wednesday
• Fencing

• Paint It Black

• Scorpion Flashback

• The Monster

Episode 2
• Things Follows Rowen
• Poe Cup Fanfare
• Poe Cup Race
• Secret Symbols
• Secret Library

Episode 3
• Nightshades
• Xavier And Wednesday
• Burning Outcasts

• Don't Stop

• Four Seasons - Winter

Episode 4
• Wednesday On The Case
• Dress Shopping

Episode 5
• Gomez Accused Of Murder
• Family Day
• Gomez' Story
• A More Than Adequate Father
• Wednesday And Pugsley
• Morticia's Story
• A Dove And A Raven
• Morticia's Yearbook

Episode 6
• It's A Snood

• Concerto In E Minor (Elgar)
• The Gates Mansion
• Devious Plan
• Searching The House
• The Monster Is Here!
• One More Chance
• I Will Find You

Episode 7
• Uncle Fester
• Annoying Distractions
• A Safe Cracking Thing
• Roomies No More
• Fester And Wednesday Stakeout
• Let's Roll
• Stabbed In The Back
• First Kiss

Episode 8
• Wednesday Packs Up
• Crackstone Rises
• Goody Heals Wednesday
• Enid To The Rescue
• Crackstone Defeated
• The Hug
• The End...?
• Wednesday Addams (End Titles)
• End Credits

Last 2 cues are the end credits of every episode.

14 hours ago, Gibster said:

Is there any confirmed Elfman solo tracks beyond the titles?

The following are solo Elfman:

Wednesday Main Titles

Morticia and Wednesday

Secret Library

Scorpion Flashback

Wednesday End Titles

Meet Wednesday

Nightshades

Wednesday Addams (End Titles)

The following are solo Bacon:

The Monster

It's a Snood

The Monster is Here

Uncle Fester

Fester and Wednesday Stakeout

Let's Roll

Poe Cup Fanfare

The rest are credited to both.

1 minute ago, ddddeeee said:

Wednesday Main Titles

Morticia and Wednesday

Secret Library

Scorpion Flashback

Wednesday End Titles

Meet Wednesday

Nightshades

The Monster

It's a Snood

The Monster is Here

Uncle Fester

Let's Roll

Poe Cup Fanfare

Thank you

1 hour ago, ddddeeee said:

Wednesday Main Titles

Morticia and Wednesday

Secret Library

Scorpion Flashback

Wednesday End Titles

Meet Wednesday

Nightshades

The Monster

It's a Snood

The Monster is Here

Uncle Fester

Let's Roll

Poe Cup Fanfare

May I ask where you got these credits from?

On 23/11/2022 at 9:20 AM, JNHFan2000 said:

I've also notoced that there are some orchestral covers of songs in the series.

Up to this point Pain It Black from The Stones, Don't Stop from Fleetwood Mac & Nothing Else Matters from Metellica have appeared. And it's a shame they're not on the album, because they are really good

I'm hoping that they will release a covers album like they do with Bridgerton. In particular, the Paint It Black arrangement is in high demand.

We watched the first episode this morning, and I was not compelled by it.

I wasn't really able to get into the characters, the basic setting/premise, or the various mysteries they are starting to build.

And it didn't feel particularly Tim Burton-y, it felt like any other generic modern YA TV series.

The score was good, though!

The new orchestral arrangement of Paint It Black was awesome.  I don't get why they wouldn't put that on the soundtrack release!