Danny Elfman's DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS (2022)

TheUlyssesian

Is it Elfman?! with Raimi again! Gia out?

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/danny-elfman-doctor-strange-2-multiverse-of-madness-score-music

DANNY ELFMAN CONFIRMS HE'S SCORING THE MUSIC OF DOCTOR STRANGE 2

Danny Elfman is heading to the multiverse. The acclaimed musician and composer tells Inverse he's returning to the MCU.

In a wide-ranging interview with Inverse about his newest single "Love in the Time of Covid," a dark rock song about love, lust, and lack thereof in a year of lockdowns, Elfman confirmed he is scoring the 2022 movie Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness with director Sam Raimi.

"I am starting to do bits of pre-work for Doctor Strange 2 that Sam Raimi's directing," Elfman tells Inverse. "Even though I don't start it for some months, there's bits of recorded music they need for the sets."

Naturally, Elfman couldn't reveal too much about the new Marvel Studios movie slated for release on March 25, 2022. But the film will mark a reunion between Elfman and Raimi, who first worked together on the 1990 superhero noir Darkman followed by Spider-Man in 2002 and Spider-Man 2 in 2004. Disagreements between Elfman and Raimi led to the musician exiting the franchise for 2007's Spider-Man 3. In the years since, the two mended fences and collaborated once more for the 2011 Disney fantasy film Oz the Great and Powerful.

Elfman also scored the movies Batman (1989), The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993), Mission: Impossible (1995), Men in Black (1997), and Dumbo (2019), and Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015). He is known for his frequent collaborations with directors like Raimi, Tim Burton, and Gus Van Sant. Prior to his acclaimed film work, Elfman was the singer-songwriter of the new wave band Oingo Boingo.

What's extra interesting about Elfman's involvement in Doctor Strange is the concept of the MULTIVERSE. While exact details are unknown, it is widely speculated the "multiverse" will create a convergence of past Marvel film franchises — specifically the different versions of Spider-Man.

It has thus far only been rumored (and not confirmed) that Tobey Maguire — whose first two Spidey films Elfman scored — will reprise his Spider-Man in Marvel and Sony's third, untitled Spider-Man scheduled for December 17, 2021. (Actors Alfred Molina and Jamie Foxx, both of whom played villains in past Spider-Man films, are reported to return in their roles as well.)

Elfman's involvement in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness suggests that Raimi is bringing as many touches of his Spider-Man films to the Marvel Cinematic Universe as he can. And while it doesn't confirm cameos, fans can be assured that the unmistakable spirit of Raimi's movies will live on in the MCU.

Meanwhile, our full interview with Danny Elfman is not one to miss and is COMING SOON. In the interview, Elfman speaks openly and honestly about living through a difficult pandemic year. His newest single "Love in the Time of Covid," which explores the aggravating yearning for physical intimacy in a time of social distancing, is available now with a music video from German director Sven Gutjahr and trans performer Shrek 666.

4 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

:sleepy:

Same reaction here. Elfman in superhero/blockbuster mode does nothing for me these days. Nor do I have any interest in superhero films. That being said, it's a million times better than Giacchino.

Should we lose the franchise theme? Is that a good thing?

Marvel has different themes for the same character. Thor has 3, Iron Man has 3, Cap has what 2? Avengers have 2?

I think Spiderman has had a consistent theme. Maybe Strange might have had a consistent theme?

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

He did a pretty good job for Age of Ultron (and Justice League despite what Snyder fanboys will try and tell you) so I think the musical continuity is in good hands.

I'm no Snyder fanboy and I did not find his Justice League to be very good, the new themes were especially not great.  But I DO agree that his Ultron material was really cool and I had wanted Silvestri to continue forward with Elfman's new version of the theme.

But I still wish Giacchino was doing this.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm no Snyder fanboy and I did not find his Justice League to be very good, the new themes were especially not great.  But I DO agree that his Ultron material was really cool and I had wanted Silvestri to continue forward with Elfman's new version of the theme.

But I still wish Giacchino was doing this.

I mean, he had what, a month to write it? The new themes, I agree weren’t anything spectacular but in terms of integrating some previous themes he did pretty well.

I’d rather it was Giacchino just from the point of view of continuity and because his first score was really good.

Is everyone just assuming that Spider-Man is in this?  Because as far as I'm aware it's the actual third Holland movie that is supposed to have all the actors from the other franchise coming in, not this Doctor Strange movie.   I mean, I know this one's about the Multiverse, but that doesn't necessarily mean Spider-Man stuff, even if it's a decent guess.

I can see Elfman using/adapting Giacchino's Strange theme.  He wasn't shy about playing with Silvestri's Avengers theme in Age of Ultron, using Williams' Superman theme and Zimmer's Wonder Woman doorbell in Justice League, using bits of classic songs in Dumbo, etc.  I suspect it will be Raimi's call, and if he wants that theme, Elfman will do some fun things with it.

I always liked Elfman's expansion on Silvestri's Avengers theme more than Silvestri's own version - although in the end I probably prefer Silvestri's Avengers 3 and 4 to Elfman's 2 overall.

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Is everyone just assuming that Spider-Man is in this?  Because as far as I'm aware it's the actual third Holland movie that is supposed to have all the actors from the other franchise coming in, not this Doctor Strange movie.   I mean, I know this one's about the Multiverse, but that doesn't necessarily mean Spider-Man stuff, even if it's a decent guess.

We need to see how Wandavision plays out. But i think all 3 of Spiderman, Strange and Wanda might appear in each other's projects.

I agree that his development of Silvestri's Avengers theme was great. But what he did in Justice League is really don't like it.

He just trashed Zimmer's material for Batman and Superman and his arrangements of WW's theme didn't really fit with the theme. 

And I think it's safe to assume that if the Doctor Strange movie is related to the multiverse, all main characters (at least some of them like Wanda and Peter) will be involved in some way or another. I think that's what they are setting up on the WandaVision series.

I like Zimmer mostly, but never cared for his little Wonder Woman thing.  Elfman's arrangement of it is probably my favorite iteration (I have not seen WW84 yet, so maybe there's some good versions in there).

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Have you looked at the title of the film?

Unclear if it is also related to madness.  I hope Doctor Strange shows up in this one.

It's literally the only one I could even hum right now.  Don't have any recollection of how any other theme in the DCEU films even goes

I was talking about the score.

I saw the film in theaters when it came out, but haven't seen it since then, so don't really remember anything specific about it, other than I liked it at the time

Not surprised.

Pretty sure Elfman will quote Giacchino's Strange theme, if not play around with it. And depending on the cameos in the film (considering the title), it would not surprise me to hear him reprise his original Spider-Man and/or Zimmer's Spider-Man themes if Maguire or Garfield pop up.

I'm fine with Elfman maybe using his own Spidey theme for if Maguire shows up. But he should keep Doctor Strange's Theme and depending on how big her role is Wanda's Theme from WandaVision.

Other than that, an overall Multiverse Theme would be cool.

I'm not really excited about Elfman taking of from Giacchino but there's nothing I can do about it. But the only thing Elfman has impressed me with over the last 10 years was some of his work on Age Of Ultron.

I personally thought his JL score had some enjoyable moments but it was just wrong for that film. 

His score for DS 2 has to be really good, but until I've heard, I'll hold my enthusiasm

7 hours ago, Alex said:

I mean, he had what, a month to write it? The new themes, I agree weren’t anything spectacular but in terms of integrating some previous themes he did pretty well.

I’d rather it was Giacchino just from the point of view of continuity and because his first score was really good.

Actually, incorporating the old themes was part of the problem. Months before release, he was advertising how his Batman theme was the only true Batman theme and that there was already a definitive Superman theme. And yet, when the score was released, he didn’t even have the guts to use any of those themes. You get bits and snippets of each theme, but not any glorious renditions.  A complete waste of opportunities. The whole score in general was well done, but completely unmemorable. This news doesn’t excite me. I feel like his music doesn’t have the impact as it once did.

I am also in the camp that Chris Young really should've gotten the part, but I have no idea how mainstream he would've or still could be considered to even be eligible. At this rate, I'm hoping Raimi has enough interesting stuff with the material for Elfman to reignite his film creative juices. At the very least, he'll actually able to make a full score with the normal amount of production time once more.

People mention the Silvestri Avengers reprise in AoU, but there is also Tyler's IM3 and Silvestri's Cap theme within his material. And given Endgame also briefly uses Giacchino's Strange theme, I have a hard time believing Marvel won't mandate at least an end credits variant of it. Guess it just depends on how much of a diva either Raimi or Elfman act like in this production.

12 minutes ago, Alex said:

I was looking at Sam Raimi’s credits and I didn’t realise he hasn’t directed a film since Oz The Great And Powerful in 2013.

Wow really? Then this is a cool return for him. Hope Marvel sticks with him.

16 hours ago, The Big Man said:

What are the odds that you have two directors who've previously worked with Christopher Young, but he doesn't even get a go?

Was just about to post the same sentiment.