Danny Elfman's DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS (2022)

TheUlyssesian

Young scored Raimi's episodes of 50 States of Fright, so they're still collaborating and on good terms.

Elfman was going to score The Gift (he has a cameo at the beginning of the movie) but it ended up clashing with Proof of Life. He was asked to score Spider-Man 3 and was going to score Spider-Man 4 before it was cancelled. I think it's just a case of Raimi getting his first choice.

54 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

Pfft, remember the Interview of Doom after Spider-Man 2 when Elfman essentially unloaded about how much a micromanaging megalomaniac Raimi was? Yeah, that's why he skipped Spider-Man 3 and Drag Me To Hell.

Raimi pretty much admitted to being at fault during the press for Oz. 

Bad news for me! I love Giacchino Marvel music...

But well, i hope Elfman at least keeps fully Giacchino's themes. Specially after all what he said about Batman and Superman.......

It's really sad the thematic continuity of the Marvel universe, so many iconic heroes that dont really have anything near superman march.

Great news, especially if Tobey comes back! I honestly never understood the love for Giacchino's themes though.

Strange's theme sounds like a rewrite of his Star Trek theme, which is pretty lame and dull to hear the same sound for a completely different franchise. 

His Spider-Man theme is ok, but I don't think it has anything on Elfman, or even Paesano's themes.

As for the whole Batman and Superman thing, Zimmer's Batman theme sucks, plain and simple. It's just a combination of the "I'm Batman" theme from Batman Begins, and his Richard Parker theme from ASM2.

Even Zimmer's Superman theme is literally nothing but a reduced version of the Williams theme, so it makes perfect sense for it to develop into the full-on thing in Justice League when Superman is brought back to be more heroic. 

It'd be nice for some thematic continuity, but if Elfman decided to shed Giacchino's themes, I wouldn't exactly lose any sleep over it. 

3 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Bad news for me! I love Giacchino Marvel music...

But well, i hope Elfman at least keeps fully Giacchino's themes. Specially after all what he said about Batman and Superman.......

It's really sad the thematic continuity of the Marvel universe, so many iconic heroes that dont really have anything near superman march.

After the JL score where he did re-use (badly) the JW Superman's March and his Batman's theme and Age of Ultron where he re-used almost every heroes' theme with Tyler, I think it's really likely that he takes back the Giacchiano's materials and I hope so because the Hero theme from JL did really suck.

1 hour ago, The Big Man said:

I can't even remember the theme from the first Doctor Strange.

I remember it being psychedelic with sitars and such.

I don't think Mark Mothersbaugh used it in Thor Ragnarok with Strange's scene but he definitely hinted at it.

Apparently, Elfman's collaboration with Raimi on Spider-Man 2 was so horrible, soul-crushing and demanding that he declared he'd never work with Raimi anymore, which was why Young (who already had re-scored some of the scenes in the second movie, like the subway battle with Dr Octopus) was asked to do the third one. Almost ten years later Raimi and Elfman became friends again and worked on that (awful) Oz movie.

I often join in on the Giacchino skepticism here, even though I think some take it to a frankly silly/cringeworthy extent.  But Doctor Strange is a decent score.

And after years of seeing a few people say it, I still don’t think it’s very similar to his Trek theme.

Personally, I think Gia is a phenomenal composer and think his Strange theme should stay, but I won't lie and say I love Doctor Strange or it's score.

I'm curious to see how Elfman handles it, but again, would prefer the theme retained. It's the only thing I remember from the score to the first movie. Yes, I do remember it

On 2/19/2021 at 5:55 AM, superultramegaa said:

Great news, especially if Tobey comes back! I honestly never understood the love for Giacchino's themes though.

Strange's theme sounds like a rewrite of his Star Trek theme, which is pretty lame and dull to hear the same sound for a completely different franchise. 

His Spider-Man theme is ok, but I don't think it has anything on Elfman, or even Paesano's themes.

As for the whole Batman and Superman thing, Zimmer's Batman theme sucks, plain and simple. It's just a combination of the "I'm Batman" theme from Batman Begins, and his Richard Parker theme from ASM2.

Even Zimmer's Superman theme is literally nothing but a reduced version of the Williams theme, so it makes perfect sense for it to develop into the full-on thing in Justice League when Superman is brought back to be more heroic. 

It'd be nice for some thematic continuity, but if Elfman decided to shed Giacchino's themes, I wouldn't exactly lose any sleep over it. 

Elfman never did that in Justice League. And no, Williams' Superman theme doesn't belong in DCEU period.

After 2020, what does 2021 look like for Danny Elfman?

I am starting to do bits of pre-work for Doctor Strange 2 that Sam Raimi’s directing. Even though I don’t start it for some months, there’s bits of recorded music they need for the sets.

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/danny-elfman-love-in-the-time-of-covid-new-album-interview

On 2/20/2021 at 3:47 PM, Mephariel said:

From what I remember the only instance of the JW Supes theme was when he was attacking his own teammates? Not very heroic if you asked me. As for the Elfman Batman theme one of the most powerful moments of that theme ended up being dialed out in the film (Tunnel chase)

4 hours ago, Alex said:

More importantly, will he keep Christophe Beck’s new theme for Wanda...?

I bet Elfman will use her theme from Ultron. Or both.

Karol

6 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

After Beck used the Dr. Strange theme at the end of WandaVision, I don't see how Elfman can just ignore Giacchino's theme. He has to use it

Huh? I just watched the WandaVision finale and didn't notice that at all...

Yavar

I can always count on a confused face whenever I get a react from Yavar. Dude, I found the score from that movie forgettable. I know my tastes around here might be considered narrow by some, especially as I'm getting older and becoming more settled in what I know appeals to me, but it takes damn fine high quality music to grab my attention and provoke my interest, and Doctor Strange didn't. It's functional at best.

I can always count on a confused face whenever I get a react from Yavar.

Well, I guess I can regularly count on being confused by something you say. ;)

Dude, I found the score from that movie forgettable. I know my tastes around here might be considered narrow by some, especially as I'm getting older and becoming more settled in what I know appeals to me, but it takes damn fine high quality music to grab my attention and provoke my interest, and Doctor Strange didn't. It's functional at best.

I won't argue with you about taste and quality, but I'm honestly surprised you didn't find his Strange theme memorable. I mean, I find the vast majority of Marvel movie scores unmemorable. They're getting a bit better here and there (Ant-Man has a quite memorable theme too), but still. I'll be honest and say at this moment I can't recall Giacchino's Spider-man theme off the top of my head. But I feel that Doctor Strange breaks the mold a bit, along with Ant-Man and maybe Black Panther to a lesser degree. I'd even call his Doctor Strange theme "an earworm". I haven't played the score in ages and this thread made it just pop back into my head...and I'm actually getting annoyed about it now because it won't leave. It's like Elfman's Alice in Wonderland theme... it's too damn catchy.

I do agree that much of Giacchino's actual score is "functional at best". Certain cues are much more weird/creative/experimental in a way to match the mind-bending visuals of the film, and I frankly wish the entire score had been as weird as those and the End Credits. It would have been much stronger and more unique for it. But those elements are still pretty unique and memorable, when they crop up (what other superhero score has sitar in it?)

Yavar

I've only seen Doctor Strange once, so whatever theme you claim is memorable went in my ear and out the other. The only MCU scores that left any impression on me are were Silvestri's, phew that guy can be on a roll when he's inspired.

Yup, just at the very end. I didn't notice it either when I first watched it but it's definitely there.

What I think would be ideal solution is for Elfman to go down the Ultron path and create a hybrid Strange theme using Giacchino's material and build on top of it.

Karol

Agree although I would prefer him this time to re-use the original theme too. I find that what was missing in Age of Ultron's score was the use of the original materials, it's loose a bit of the continuity between the movies.

I think he should do like Tyler did, re-used of the original materials, build around it but without the Tyler's grace thought.

13 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Do we know why Silvestri didn't do the 2nd Avengers, he did the other 3.

He was never asked to come back. My theory is that Brian Tyler was a studio choice after his two Marvel movies but things didn't go according to plan.

Karol

22 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

It's never been explained. However, I remember reading somewhere that Kevin Feige really liked Brian Tyler's scores for Iron Man 3 and Thor 2, so he pushed for him in Age of Ultron, even though Joss Whedon favored another colaboration with Alan Silvestri. It was one of the numerous problems that Whedon's had with Marvel during the making of the second Avengers.

In any case, Whedon and/or Feige didn't liked very much Tyler's uninspired and generic score, so they had to hire Elfman to re-do some cues. 

The resulting score in the movie is a horrible mess of Tyler, Elfman and Silvestri, mixed so low so that the audience can't hear the music.

A few months ago I created a thread with scenes from the movie scored with the original intended music by Tyler or Elfman. Check it out, I was really proud of that thread.

Thanks yes I remember for that brief moment Tyler was their guy. He even did the Marvel logo.

I still Elfman's new Avengers theme is one of the best themes out of the MCU if not the best.

• 3 weeks later...