Danny Elfman's DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS (2022)

TheUlyssesian

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Every Raimi-Elfman collab has had a main title cue, so here's hoping, but this is MCU so I'd put the odds at 50/50.

The MCU algorithm doesn't allow for main titles.

The MCU Main titles are always at the end. With most composers getting to really show their music there.

Look at Thor 2, Endgame, Age Of Ultron, Dr. Strange, Iron Man 3 etc.

I just thought, Elfman is big on themes and thematic continuity. With all the characters and cameo's in the film (I only know what's in the trailer). But it would be really cool if Elfman did quote the big themes for characters.

I also hope he uses Giacchino's Dr. Strange theme. After it being used in Dr. Strange, Endgame, What If...? & No Way Home he cannot not use it.

I also hope he uses Beck's theme for Wanda. It's such a strong theme and really, for me, is the theme I hear when I see Wanda.

Other then these things I hope we'll get themes for America Chavez & the concept of The Multiverse

Justice League, Endgame and now No Way Home all quote older themes, but they're all so buried in the mix/orchestration that you wouldn't know they're there. I wonder if that's the deal these days.

Next to John Williams’ score to THE FABELMANS and JNH’s FANTASTIC BEASTS 3 this is the only score I’m looking forward to this year. 

4 hours ago, JTW said:

Next to John Williams’ score to THE FABELMANS and JNH’s FANTASTIC BEASTS 3 this is the only score I’m looking forward to this year. 

That's three more scores than I was looking forward to last year

13 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I just thought, Elfman is big on themes and thematic continuity. With all the characters and cameo's in the film (I only know what's in the trailer). But it would be really cool if Elfman did quote the big themes for characters.

I also hope he uses Giacchino's Dr. Strange theme. After it being used in Dr. Strange, Endgame, What If...? & No Way Home he cannot not use it.

I also hope he uses Beck's theme for Wanda. It's such a strong theme and really, for me, is the theme I hear when I see Wanda.

Other then these things I hope we'll get themes for America Chavez & the concept of The Multiverse

I'm expecting we'll have Gaicchino's Doctor Strange theme and Beck's Wanda theme reprised at the very least, alongside new themes for America Chavez, the Darkhold and maybe a theme for Wong. If there's a theme for the multiverse, I'd like to see it adapt Laura Karpman's theme for What If...? or at least come from a very similar place. 

Spoiler

We may also see John Ottman's Xavier/Hope theme from Days of Future Past reprised as well or at the very least a quotation of Ottman's X-Men theme. And if speculation is true that Ioan Gruffudd's Mr Fantastic is part of the illuminati, we might get a quotation of Ottman's Fantastic Four theme as well. If the presence of Ultron bots in the trailer is anything to go by, Elfman will likely reprise his Ultron theme from Age of Ultron as well. 

That would be stupid. Did she even have a theme? I can't remember it for one second.

The only thing I remember of the Age Of Ultron score was the Silvestri theme Hybrid variation Elfman did.

I couldn't even tell you what Ultron's theme sounds like.

I'm a big fan of Marvel and the music of Marvel but that score is a mess. It has some great action cues but overall it's a let down

Yeah, she was the only character in the film that had an individual theme. And there's even bit of an arc to it as well. It appears quite a lot in the score and film. Although you might say it is the twins theme as well. 

Also check the final minute of this track which contains an unused Elfman's take on Hawkeye/Wanda "pep talk" scene:

Karol

Ah, is that the Wanda theme. I recognise it in that suite put never put them together. The final statement is indeed very cool.

I still hope Elfman uses Beck's theme. Because that's the theme of a full grown and powerful Wanda. The Wanda in Age Of Ultron and the Wanda now are not the same. And Beck's theme fits better I think

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

Elfman briefly discusses the score here. Be warned that he kinda gives away a spoiler if you read into what he says.

https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/superhero-movie-scores-in-the-age-of-the-antihero/

Thanks for sending

I really hope Elfman uses Beck's themes in his score and it's not just tracked into the film.

It'll be curious to hear what Elfman does with this and what kind of album release they're going for. I hope at least 70 minutes of music.

This is one scene, and knowing Raimi's films. He always has moments to let the score really shine. Also hoping for the end credits to be scored by Elfman and not a song.

I always think it's a shame when the first 2 minutes of the end credits is a song. This is the moment to really let a composer shine with the theme(s) they have written.

Look at The Avengers, Thor: The Dark World and the first Dr. Strange. Great musical moments to really show a theme.

Yeah, Raimi always has great scores in his movies and he knows when to throw it to the front and let it carry a scene. And he is also a director who likes to have a main title sequence in his movies, where a composer like Elfman always shines (all his Burton movies or even Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy)

Spider-Man: No Way Home and this Dr. Strange scene make me think we've reached another pinnacle of CGI. I feel like they're finally able (willing?) to be more creative with CGI rather than just using it because they have to out of necessity. 

It's not just another monster fight...what if the monster was invisible? But it was deforming objects that were visible? And then we reveal the monster holding the object, and cut off one of its limbs. And then we'll throw that object at the camera and saw it in half around our protagonist. Impressive stuff.

Not much to glean from that preview of the score, but sounds pretty good in that scene. Gave me some Spider-Man 2 vibes from the tone and orchestration which is always a good thing. The Doctor Strange theme might have played at one point, though it's pretty difficult to tell because of the sound effects. Hopefully the mix isn't always like that for the fight scenes in the final film.

8 hours ago, Anthony said:

Spider-Man: No Way Home and this Dr. Strange scene make me think we've reached another pinnacle of CGI. I feel like they're finally able (willing?) to be more creative with CGI rather than just using it because they have to out of necessity. 

It's not just another monster fight...what if the monster was invisible? But it was deforming objects that were visible? And then we reveal the monster holding the object, and cut off one of its limbs. And then we'll throw that object at the camera and saw it in half around our protagonist. Impressive stuff.

is this satire?

2 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

Seems like there's a theme for Wong.

That seems apropriate. He is a big character and the Sorcerer Surpreme.

And I love the bits of choir that you hear!!!

Rumors say that the Wandavision theme used in the movie is actually the repeated 4 notes from the many openings?

Interesting choice if true. 

va-82.jpg

‘Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness’ Soundtrack Album Details

Hollywood Records & Marvel Music will release the official soundtrack album for Marvel Studios’ Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. The album features the film’s original music composed by Danny Elfman (Batman, Spider-Man, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Alice in Wonderland,  Edward Scissorhands, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory). The soundtrack is set to be released on Wednesday, May 4. Check back on this page for the streaming/download link. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness is directed by Sam Raimi and stars Benedict Cumberbatch, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Elizabeth Olsen, Michael Stühlbarg, Benedict Wong, Xochitl Gomez and Rachel McAdams. The movie follows the title character who, with the help of mystical allies both old and new, traverses the alternate realities of the Multiverse to confront a mysterious new adversary. The film will be released in theaters nationwide on May 6 by Walt Disney Pictures.

Here’s the album track list* (might contain minor spoilers!):

1. Multiverse of Madness (2:37)
2. On the Run (2:17)
3. Strange Awakens (0:43)
4. The Apple Orchard (3:18)
5. Are You Happy (1:08)
6. Gargantos (2:50)
7. Journey with Wong (1:44)
8. Home? (4:08)
9. Strange Statue (1:43)
10. The Decision Is Made (1:14)
11. A Cup of Tea (3:58)
12. Discovering America (0:47)
13. Grab My Hand (1:14)
14. Battle Time (3:11)
15. Not a Monster (2:38)
16. Forbidden Ground (2:29)
17. Tribunal (2:13)
18. They’re Not Coming Back (1:00)
19. Stranger Things Will Happen (2:56)
20. Buying Time (3:39)
21. Book of Vishanti (2:45)
22. Looking for Strange (1:38)
23. Strange Talk (3:32)
24. Lethal Symphonies (1:48)
25. Getting Through (5:34)
26. Only Way (2:51)
27. Trust Your Power (2:54)
28. They’ll Be Loved (3:59)
29. Farewell (2:29)
30. An Interesting Question (3:13)
31. Main Titles (2:36)
32. An Unexpected Visitor (0:32)

*track order has not been confirmed yet

Longer version of the Gargantos clip, with more Elfman score in it.  Music sounds real good!

I'm only mildly curious about the movie, mostly to see if it will look at feel like a Sam Raimi move or not. But I am very curious about the score. Danny Elfman seems like the perfect composer for Dr. Strange.