Danny Elfman's DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS (2022)

TheUlyssesian

8 minutes ago, Brónach said:

Also. This score is cooler than most of the previous score.

Meh. There were moments during the film where I thought "Wow. That's some cool music right there!" But then I went to listen to the score and if there are parts that grab me I haven't gotten to them.

OTOH the original Strange is one of my top 5 MG.

On 7/5/2022 at 2:49 PM, ddddeeee said:

Related but also unrelated note (dunno how well known this is): Elfman was asked to score X-Men 3 but turned it down.

Can you find a source that confirms this? I'd love to know.

2 hours ago, HunterTech said:

I want the source that says Lalo Schiffrin was considered for X3 as well.

I believe that's due to Brett Ratner's directorial work before X-Men 3 were scored either by Schifrin or Elfman. I don't think that's rumor, just people making guesses based on Ratner's track records after he was announced as director

I have mixed feelings on this score... it’s very well written but the themes are so weak and weakly used (and Wanda’s theme is lifted from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory!)

2 hours ago, Stark said:

I have mixed feelings on this score... it’s very well written but the themes are so weak and weakly used (and Wanda’s theme is lifted from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory!)

Also the Spider-Man theme and Batman themes are in there as well. But I didn't mind too much. I am a James Horner fan after all. 

So this is just my general opinion on scores. Now scores are my favorite genre of music to listen to and basically all I listen to, but for me I think themes are important, but not the most important. I like when themes are used sparingly and not relied on to much.  I think it can work well for a score to have themes but believe there is a fine line between using themes and relying on them for everything. I love when a composer for any type of film can score a scene or sequence or sequences without having to use a theme, but also think themes can be useful. Hope that all made sense and would love to hear others thoughts. 

I thought Elfman used the DS theme tastefully.

Is it just me, or has his action writing really improved? I love those wailing trombones!

2 hours ago, Alex said:

I thought Elfman used the DS theme tastefully.

Is it just me, or has his action writing really improved? I love those wailing trombones!

I'd give him a notch above Henry Jackman's "use" of the Captain America theme. DS is one of my favorite MCU themes so I was disappointed, but not surprised. At least we had No Way Home.

My opinion on the reuse of the Charlie and the chocolate factory  theme is this: 

It was written as a music box waltz for elfman’s son Oliver, born in 2005, and then tracked in the Tim burton film for just one cue (Golden ticket/factory). Later on he found it was perfect, also in terms of creating an intimate link with the story, to use that theme for a character that is obsessed with maternity. 

edit: that’s just speculation 

43 minutes ago, Alex said:

I would say that Elfman's take on the DS theme is far superior (See Battle Time) than anything Giacchino did in NWH. Giacchino quoted Elfman's themes more or less verbatim and did not really add anything new.

I think Elfman struck a nice balance. He didn't go full "Force Theme in the Sequel Trilogy", but equally he didn't go "Brief quote of Hedwig's Theme at the beginning of the film". Sure, he could have used it more, but equally he was under no obligation to use it, and he took the time to actually rearrange and reorchestrate it, more than what Giacchino did.

Not that I'm particularly a Giacchino hater or anything, and it was great to hear the various themes in NWH, but it was almost like he just tracked them in.

I think I'm just an Elfman apologist because we are both ginger, and we must stick together.

But what about Giacchino's usage of his own DS theme?

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

I'd give him a notch above Henry Jackman's "use" of the Captain America theme. DS is one of my favorite MCU themes so I was disappointed, but not surprised. At least we had No Way Home.

Did he even use it? Wasn't  it just tracked in fron Silverstri's score?

I thought Giacchino's use of his own Doctor Strange theme in NWH was really lacking. I liked the first use of it, but it lost its character afterwards.

On 10/05/2022 at 5:18 PM, dyemery said:

Can you find a source that confirms this? I'd love to know.

There was a Powell interview in which he was asked how he came to be involved with the project. In typical Powell fashion, he said, 'Because Danny Elfman was too busy' - or something to that effect.

I'll try to find it.

2 hours ago, Counterparts said:

But what about Giacchino's usage of his own DS theme?

Did he even use it? Wasn't  it just tracked in fron Silverstri's score?

Hence my saying "used" in quotes.

I have heard it insisted that it was newly recorded from Silvestri's score. I can't tell you more than that.

Other than Bond and Star Wars what composers have really based a score on another composer's theme? Certainly not in anything resembling the modern era. They'll usually sprinkle in a quick reference or two or just needle-drop and existing use of a theme.

(The worst for me was when MG used a quick snip of Amok Time in Into Darkness - that was buried under sound effects and had to be pointed out to the most die-hard Star Trek fans - and then said "Hey! I used Original Series music!")

12 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Hence my saying "used" in quotes.

I have heard it insisted that it was newly recorded from Silvestri's score. I can't tell you more than that.

Other than Bond and Star Wars what composers have really based a score on another composer's theme? Certainly not in anything resembling the modern era. They'll usually sprinkle in a quick reference or two or just needle-drop and existing use of a theme.

(The worst for me was when MG used a quick snip of Amok Time in Into Darkness - that was buried under sound effects and had to be pointed out to the most die-hard Star Trek fans - and then said "Hey! I used Original Series music!")

Does Solo qualify? :P 

4 hours ago, Alex said:

I would say that Elfman's take on the DS theme is far superior (See Battle Time) than anything Giacchino did in NWH. Giacchino quoted Elfman's themes more or less verbatim and did not really add anything new.

I think Elfman struck a nice balance. He didn't go full "Force Theme in the Sequel Trilogy", but equally he didn't go "Brief quote of Hedwig's Theme at the beginning of the film". Sure, he could have used it more, but equally he was under no obligation to use it, and he took the time to actually rearrange and reorchestrate it, more than what Giacchino did.

Not that I'm particularly a Giacchino hater or anything, and it was great to hear the various themes in NWH, but it was almost like he just tracked them in.

I think I'm just an Elfman apologist because we are both ginger, and we must stick together.

I do think Elfman could have used the theme more. I wish he used the theme in a dark, twisted, horrific way for the scenes with Strange at the end of the film. That would've been really cool.

I stand by that I would've liked to hear more of Giacchino's score & would've loved to hear Beck's theme, this is still a spectacular score.

And as a fellow ginger, I agree with your final statement.

5 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Other than Bond and Star Wars what composers have really based a score on another composer's theme?

I believe Rozsa quoted Stotharts themes to Mrs. Miniver in The Miniver Story.

Horner using Courage in TWoK

A lot of MV/RC scores technically do this, but that's not what you are talking about ;)

33 minutes ago, Counterparts said:

Horner using Courage in TWoK

He's actually the only Star Trek (movie) composer who really embraced "This is Star Trek. I'm going to use Star Trek music." I haven't timed it or anything but I think he used more Courage music in 3 than he did in 2.

I was a little surprised when the most recognizable theme that Silvestri used that wasn't his was freaking Ant-Man! (Yes he used Captain Marvel, but it was pretty subtle.)

I don't know if it's studios saying "We're not paying for the rights" or the composers saying "We don't want to use other people's music." Maybe it's a team effort?

4 minutes ago, Counterparts said:

Cliff Eidelman.

I assume we're talking Star Trek? He played the Courage theme less than Goldsmith! (OK, maybe it's a tie.) Certainly about as much as Elfman played Doctor Strange! (Topic!)

He used it in the trailer music,, Clearing All moorings, and in the finale and the sign off!

Goldsmith only used it once in score for the Placque in V.

Courage wrote the variations in TMP

The rest only play in the opening and ending credits?

On 09/05/2022 at 4:52 PM, May the Force be with You said:

Too bad they don't do CD :folder:

Well at least some people will be happy, better than nothing

It wouldn't surprise me if Intrada gets the green light for a CD release, since they've collaborated with Elfman, Marvel and Disney before.

7 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I was a little surprised when the most recognizable theme that Silvestri used that wasn't his was freaking Ant-Man! (Yes he used Captain Marvel, but it was pretty subtle.)

Not entirely sure what you're saying. But Captain Marvel's theme in Endgame was anything but subtle. Ant-Man's theme was far from a subtle reference that the all out explosion of the theme from Captain Marvel.

And he used a great version of Dr. Strange's theme

And he used Black Panther's theme too

5 hours ago, Matt C said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Intrada gets the green light for a CD release, since they've collaborated with Elfman, Marvel and Disney before.

As much as I would love that to be true there's very little chance that it happens. Look at last year Jungle Cruise despite being scored by JNH didn't get a CD release nor did Black Panther 4 years ago while you could have think that after all the awards it won it would have sell very well

I'm hoping that Peyton Reed gets the Fantastic Four MCU movie, that it's a 60s period movie, and that Christophe Beck writes a kickass throwback theme for it in the style of like a Schifrin/Mancini kinda thing.

On 11/05/2022 at 11:16 AM, Tallguy said:

22 hours ago, Counterparts said:

I believe Rozsa quoted Stotharts themes to Mrs. Miniver in The Miniver Story.

Correct, and there are even some other Golden Age examples, the best example of which is probably Franz Waxman using multiple Alfred Newman themes from The Robe in his score for the sequel, Demetrius and the Gladiators...

Yavar

3 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

No matter who composes it, I'm sure Fantastic Four will sound like every other MCU score.  

Be good to let John Ottman have another go. His F4 scores are great. 

I never really connected with his Fantastic 4 scores.

I might try them again, but they always sounded a bit anonymous to me.

Same for X2, great theme, but the rest is a bit, meh.

Days Of Future Past has really great parts, and really not so great parts.

I think X-Men: Apocalypse is his best Marvel score. The opening alone is worth the exploring the album.

1 hour ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I never really connected with his Fantastic 4 scores.

I might try them again, but they always sounded a bit anonymous to me.

Same for X2, great theme, but the rest is a bit, meh.

Days Of Future Past has really great parts, and really not so great parts.

I think X-Men: Apocalypse is his best Marvel score. The opening alone is worth the exploring the album.

Giving the first of his F4 scores another listen this morning and it’s actually great fun. I would recommend another listen. The main themes are decent and it’s actually fairly characterful, with some decent action music too. Might give Silver Surfer another listen later.