Danny Elfman's DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS (2022)

TheUlyssesian

1 minute ago, May the Force be with You said:

I really love his Ant-Man movies and would prefer him to continue after the third one, instead of moving to Fantastic 4 which could offer a nice opening to Krasinski

Well since Krasinski is now in the discussion then why not Marco Beltrami

not saying his previous effort on F4 is great but he seems to know what John Krasinski wants musically

8 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

No matter who composes it, I'm sure Fantastic Four will sound like every other MCU score. 

Because Winter Soldier sounds JUST like Iron Man which sounds JUST like Ant-Man and Doctor Strange?

The MCU has some musical missteps, but they hardly sound alike.

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

I'm actually kind of a fan of Jackman's work in the Captain America series (including Falcon/WS), not in a way where I listen to it much on its own, but there are some sequences where I think Jackman's work is cool as heck in context, especially in Winter Soldier (the movie).

That's about right. It's right up there with (for me) Silvestri's Infinity War. I don't ever listen to it on it's own but when I see the movie I realize that this is just perfect scoring.

The track Winter Soldier did come up on Spotify the other day. I always skip it when I listen to the score. But it really is an evocative track.

Jackman surely succeed to build up a very nice things around Captain America and this despite coming after the really good Silvestri's score. It's funny how much I never really want to revisit his score but every time I've watched The Winter Soldier I've been like "this score was a true blast". I guess it's among those score that are great in the movie but average outside of it.

For me the thing that makes The Winter Soldier's score so great is the screaming theme for The Winter Soldier. It makes the character so incredibly cool and a lot more menacing. It's really brilliant. It's not easy listening on it's own, but the score has some amazing moments.

As does Civil War. I think the airport fight and final battle are both scored very well. I really like both scores.

5 hours ago, Jaaaackified said:

Well since Krasinski is now in the discussion then why not Marco Beltrami

not saying his previous effort on F4 is great but he seems to know what John Krasinski wants musically

he scored my favourite superhero movie so i can't say no

what about natalie holt

1 hour ago, Brónach said:

what about natalie holt

Since she's on the board we should just ask her!

* Disclaimer: This is in reference to a joke in another thread. We are fairly certain Natalie Holt is NOT on this message board. We apologize for any "humor" this may have caused.

I appreciate all this MCU Jackman talk (even if I think CW is honestly very disappointing and I haven't gotten to hear F&TWS yet). TWS is not a score I revisit often, but I absolutely admire its display of creativity with a developed soundscape that most other RCP scores tend to lack even now.

About FF: I am one of the odd few to prefer Beltrami's efforts for the franchise than Ottman (even if I gravitate towards the latter as a composer more (I do prefer his FF theme by itself)), so I wouldn't mind him taking another stab at the property with the proper creative control that wasn't afforded with the 2015 film.

Jackman has done better work elsewhere. Both Jumanji scores are quite good, there's some good stuff in his Kong score too. And his take on Silvestri in The Predator is particularly solid as well and, quite honestly, more interesting musically than any of the other sequel in the series. At the very least it doesn't rehash the same material verbatim over and over again with ever so slightly changed orchestrations. He actually does something with it which is nice.

Karol

2 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Both Jumanji scores are quite good, there's some good stuff in his Kong score too

I agree these are all among his best and better than his MCU scores.  I just quite enjoy specific sequences in the MCU ones that I think he did a particularly good job on.

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

I agree these are all among his best and better than his MCU scores.  I just quite enjoy specific sequences in the MCU ones that I think he did a particularly good job on.

I like some bits of that too. Like the prologue from Civil War etc.

Karol

12 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I'll never forgive Kevin Feige for cursing moviegoers and poisoning the Hollywood machine with the interminable MCU... but his awareness of Bach and Beethoven and his insistence on using them in a Marvel movie does go a considerable distance in redeeming him AFAIC.

I remember I took a fair bit of pleasure in the first Iron Man when Jeff Bridges' character tells Stark that his arc reactor was his Ninth Symphony. Now we have "Lethal Symphonies" in the Strange vs. Strange smackdown. These two high points may have been 14 years apart, but I'll take 'em where I can get 'em.

I'm an Elfman fan, but he was so keen on keeping original themes for characters in Justice League, using music composed for other incarnations and timelines, and now uses Doctor Strange's MCU theme only as brief cameos and creates a new theme for him. Inconsistent IMHO (but a good theme, and a good score). 

So I checked Apple Music NZ on a VPN, and I don't see any new listing or an update to the existing album. So either it's like Morbius where it'll pop up by the end of the day, or this is gonna end up being yet another Ant Man situation where the extra tracks are LP only.

When you're in a group with various time zones, it's easy to get mixed up.

Of course, I could've also just checked the world clock on my phone, now that I remember it exists. :P

So 4 hours left then.........

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/doctor-strange-in-the-multiverse-of-madness/1624853117

3 extra tracks.

Illuminati Vs. Wanda

Illumanti

Wanda At Home

These incude the statements to WandaVision, Captain America & X-Men.

Makes sense that they released this 2 week later because of spoilers

Illuminati 2:13 ( cap theme sorta and Xmen theme)

Illuminati vs Wanda 2:48 ( prob the best of these 3)

Wanda at Home 1:06 (the opening with the the Wandavision theme mixed with her elfman theme

Kinda silly that they didn't just release these to begin with

I would say Wanda at Home is my favourite addition. But all three are great to have. In fact they are essential to have due to some great thematic development. 

Karol

On 05/05/2022 at 5:38 PM, JNHFan2000 said:

I've made a chronological order of the score:

1. On The Run (extended in film)
  2. Strange Awakens
  3. Are You Happy (I think it's not used in the film) but I thought this was the best part for it)
  4. Gargantos (Extended in film)
  5. Wanda At Home
  6. The Apple Orchard
  7. Battle Time (Extended in film & I believe the statement of Giacchino's theme at 2:03 is not heard in the film)
  8. Not A Monster
  9. Discovering America
  10. Strange Statue
  11. A Cup Of Tea
  12. Home?
  13. Forbidden Ground
  14. Illuminati
  15. Journey With Wong
  16. Tribunal
  17. Illuminati Vs. Wanda
  18. They're Not Coming Back
  19. The Decision Is Made
  20. Grab My Hand
  21. Buying Time
  22. Book Of Vishanti
  23. Looking For Strange
  24. Strange Talk
  25. Lethal Symphonies
  26. Getting Through
  27. Only Way
  28. Trust Your Power
  29. They'll Be Loved
  30. Farewell
  31. An Interesting Question
  32. Main Titles
  33. An Unexpected Visitor
  34. Multiverse Of Madness

I couldn't figure this one out.

- Stranger Things Will Happen

Stranger Things Will Happen might be a theme suite, but I'm not sure. I wasn't able to recognize the piano part from the beginning in the film.

I've added the new tracks to the chronological order.

15 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I've added the new tracks to the chronological order.

I followed your chronological playlist but used Stranger Things Will Happen as an overture. It does indeed seem to work as a Doctor Strange theme suite and works best as the first track. Otherwise, the actual opening of the score, as heard in the film, feels bit abrupt away from the film. :)

I also have the OST version playlist although decided to insert Wanda at Home before The Apple Orchard and Illuminati before the Tribunal. It's an odd sequencing, this official album.

Overall, I am rather fond of the score. Not Elfman's finest hour by any means but there's quite enough strong material for me to like. Might create yet another list that's bit shorter.

Karol

OK. @JNHFan2000this is the actual chronological order:

1. On The Run
  2. Strange Awakens
  3. Are You Happy
  4. Gargantos
  5. Wanda At Home
  6. The Apple Orchard
  7. Battle Time
  8. Not A Monster
  9. Discovering America
  10. Strange Statue
  11. A Cup Of Tea
  12. Home?
  13. Forbidden Ground
  14. Illuminati
  15. Journey With Wong
  16. Tribunal
  17. Illuminati Vs. Wanda
  18. They're Not Coming Back
  19. The Decision Is Made
  20. Grab My Hand
  21. Buying Time
  22. Book Of Vishanti
  23. Looking For Strange
  24. Strange Talk
  25. Lethal Symphonies
  26. Getting Through
  27. Only Way
  28. Trust Your Power
  29. They'll Be Loved
  30. Farewell
  31. An Interesting Question
  32. Main Titles
  33. An Unexpected Visitor
  34. Multiverse Of Madness
  35. Stranger Things Will Happen (bonus track)

As you can see, not much has changed. Journey With Wong is the only track that was in the wrong place. The title is misleading:

Spoiler

The string glissandi in the beginning underscores Strange's reaction to the revelation from Xavier that there's more to their Strange's death. And then we transition to the Mount Wundagore temple scene in which Scarlet Witch talks to Wong about her reason's to take America's power and then she re-possesses the body of the other Wanda and leaves the house to confront the Illuminati.

And you're right, Stranger Things Will Happen doesn't actually appear in the film. Is it some sort of suite or alternate end credits piece or something? Hard to say. Anyway, it's nice to have because you can use it, or, alternatively, Multiverse of Madness, as an overture. I can't quite decide which one works better for me. 

Karol

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

As you can see, not much has changed. Journey With Wong is the only track that was in the wrong place. The title is misleading:

You're right.

Weird, I put it in my own playlist at the correct place. But not here

Just listened to the album in chronological order. It works great! I really prefer "Multiverse of Madness" and "Stranger Things Will Happen" at the end, acting like an end titles suite.

Also, it helped a lot reading Jon Broxton's review while I'm listening to it. Now that I know the context of the music, I can better appreciate it.