Danny Elfman's DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS (2022)

TheUlyssesian

On 04/05/2022 at 9:53 PM, Jay said:

It might be purchasable come Friday, or this could the start of a new trend for Disney Records

You'll own nothing and you'll be happy.

7 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

You'll own nothing and you'll be happy.

Lol, you took the words right out of my mouth. That's exactly what's going on here, and I expected it, but not this soon. The Kenobi soundtrack better at least get released for purchase...

On 5/5/2022 at 4:38 PM, JNHFan2000 said:

I've made a chronological order of the score:

1. On The Run (extended in film)

2. Strange Awakens

3. Are You Happy (I think it's not used in the film) but I thought this was the best part for it)

4. Gargantos (Extended in film)

5. The Apple Orchard

6. Battle Time (Extended in film & I believe the statement of Giacchino's theme at 2:03 is not heard in the film)

7. Not A Monster

8. Discovering America

9. Strange Statue

10. A Cup Of Tea

11. Home?

12. Forbidden Ground

13. Journey With Wong

14. Tribunal

15. The Decision Is Made

15. Grab My Hand

16. Buying Time

17. Book Of Vishanti

18. Looking For Strange

19. Strange Talk

20. Lethal Symphonies

21. Getting Through

22. Only Way

23. Trust Your Power

24. They'll Be Loved

25. Farewell

26. An Interesting Question

27. Main Titles

28. An Unexpected Visitor

29. Multiverse Of Madness

I couldn't figure these out.

- They're Not Coming Back

- Stranger Things Will Happen

Stranger Things Will Happen might be a theme suite, but I'm not sure. I wasn't able to recognize the piano part from the beginning in the film.

They're Not Coming Back might be an alternate but the line is not said anywhere in the film, so I'm not certain.

I will try to place them once the film is out on digital.

I mostly agree with this. Only major change is that They’re Not Coming Back comes in between Tribunal and The Decision is Made. 

Spoiler

The line is said by Strange to Mordo-838 after Wanda kills the other illuminati, as Mordo just said the vote on Strange’s fate will be made when the others come back  

Stranger Things Will Happen is the only track I can’t place. It is either completely unheard in the film or is dialled down. 

3 hours ago, LewWho95 said:

Stranger Things Will Happen is the only track I can’t place. It is either completely unheard in the film or is dialled down. 

Those two phrases mean the same thing. 

I think the score is a lot better in the film as is presented on album. That 'WandaVision' cue is really essential, and the Illuminati theme only appears once on album.

13 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

I think the score is a lot better in the film as is presented on album. That 'WandaVision' cue is really essential, and the Illuminati theme only appears once on album.

There is some important music missing. The cue with the taikos is also missing an it should go before Battle Time chronologically.

30 minutes ago, Davide Leo said:

We won't get a physical realease will we?

At this stage it looks like we will be incredibly lucky if we get to purchase a digital album. So far it is only available to stream. Tough luck for people who don't use these platforms. Hopefully, this is only temporary.

In any case, I doubt this will be released on CD. The last Marvel score to come out on CD was Avengers: Endgame three years ago. Both Spider-Man albums, obviously, don't count as they're Sony releases.

Karol

The pandemic seems to have stopped releases of scores on CD. It was commonplace before the pandemic for big shows and movie scores.

I've made my peace with few CD releases, but not even being able to download this? Are they waiting until the hype dies down to maximise streams? Is there any precedent for this?

Yeah, the high-resolution downloads softened the blow of not having the CD. But not being able to own it at all is bit sad.

Hopefully, this is only some sort of confusing release strategy and not the first sign of things to come.

Karol

Gosh I sure hope we don't seriously move to film music joining the cloud-based, streaming-only type of consumption on a consistent basis. 

3 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Actually, it looks like the album will be available on the 20th of May with three additional "spoiler" tracks. A friend of mine receives a newsletter directly from Disney and that's the source the review promos come from so it is a legit source. That's where I used to get them from as well back in my reviewing days. It doesn't mention download specifically but I bet that's what it is. They just released the spoiler-free album now and we will get a slightly longer version in two weeks.

Karol

We can all calm down then ;-)

Having given it one listen, I quite liked it, but can't disagree that a fair bit of it kinda passes by with a lot of something happening without actually being super interesting. Which is kinda depressing when you hear how terrific DE's recent concert works have been. I have to say that I actually think Giacchino's score for the first movie actually has much more character than Elfman's. Which is also kinda depressing. I do like Giacchino, but Elfman has always had a strong style, notwithstanding how it's evolved over the years.

7 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Actually, it looks like the album will be available on the 20th of May with three additional "spoiler" tracks. A friend of mine receives a newsletter directly from Disney and that's the source the review promos come from so it is a legit source. That's where I used to get them from as well back in my reviewing days. It doesn't mention download specifically but I bet that's what it is. They just released the spoiler-free album now and we will get a slightly longer version in two weeks.

Karol

Fingers crossed we get the 

Spoiler

Illuminati introduction track then. I need that quotation of the X-Men theme 

5 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

Guessing the three tracks are the WandaVision cue, the Xavier cue and the Illuminati fight.

Precisely. :) All of which would actually improve the existing album.

9 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Having given it one listen, I quite liked it, but can't disagree that a fair bit of it kinda passes by with a lot of something happening without actually being super interesting. Which is kinda depressing when you hear how terrific DE's recent concert works have been. I have to say that I actually think Giacchino's score for the first movie actually has much more character than Elfman's. Which is also kinda depressing. I do like Giacchino, but Elfman has always had a strong style, notwithstanding how it's evolved over the years.

The score is dense and somewhat cluttered but I'd say it benefits from more than one listen. It's themes, and their application, might seem bit nebulous at first. I finished my second listen not long ago, after having seen the film, and it definitely becomes bit clearer.

Karol

6 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Precisely. :) All of which would actually improve the existing album.

The score is dense and somewhat cluttered but I'd say it benefits from more than one listen. It's themes, and their application, is but nebulous at first. I finished my second listen not long ago, after having seen the film, and it definitely becomes bit clearer.

Karol

I'll definitely give it a couple more listens and might see the film (I'm pretty meh on Marvel movies overall). I'm sure there's more to uncover than you get on first listen.

19 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I'll definitely give it a couple more listens and might see the film (I'm pretty meh on Marvel movies overall). I'm sure there's more to uncover than you get on first listen.

It's not a great movie, in all honesty. I didn't hate it but it didn't grab me either. The central concept doesn't seem to make much sense and some things happen just because the plot requires them to. I would probably wait until it appears on Disney+ or something. 

Karol

51 minutes ago, LewWho95 said:

Fingers crossed we get the 

Hide contents

Illuminati introduction track then. I need that quotation of the X-Men theme 

Spoiler

Would that be Ottman's theme? I'm pretty sure it would be but haven't seen the film.

3 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:
  Hide contents

Would that be Ottman's theme? I'm pretty sure it would be but haven't seen the film.

Nope, it's

Spoiler

Karol

1 hour ago, ddddeeee said:

Guessing the three tracks are the WandaVision cue, the Xavier cue and the Illuminati fight.

I'd also like the taiko cue that plays before Battle Time!

1 hour ago, MedigoScan said:

Sounds like it will be hard to please everyone!

This is very much the story of Danny Elfman

Is it just me, or does America's theme sound kind of like Irina's theme from Kingdom of the Crystal Skull? I don't know how similar they are on a technical level, but every time I hear America's theme, I think of Irina's theme lol.

0:59-1:11 of "On the Run"

3:27-3:38 of "Finale"

I don't know what to think of this score. I think the composition, complex writing and the recording is top notch. I enjoy it. But I also felt disconnected with most of the cues. There is nothing that really grabbed me throughout. 

59 minutes ago, Mephariel said:

I don't know what to think of this score. I think the composition, complex writing and the recording is top notch. I enjoy it. But I also felt disconnected with most of the cues. There is nothing that really grabbed me throughout. 

It's not the easiest score to "get into" and seems to suffer from modern "Elfman on steroids" syndrome. The themes and their placement is bit confusing sometimes...or what they represent.

Karol

9 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

I'm really getting into it, but I think my biggest issue is that in the busier cues I'm struggling to differentiate between Strange's new theme and Wanda's...they sound similar to me.

Think that might be entirely intentional. In fact all four themes seem to share similar elements?

Karol

3 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Think that might be entirely intentional.

Karol

That would make sense. Pretty much all the Spider-Man themes stem from, well, the Spider-Man theme (bar Green Goblin's), and Catwoman and Penguin's themes obviously share musical DNA with the Batman theme, but even with the two overtures bookending the album, the Strange theme never really presents itself enough to make it clear.

2 hours ago, Mephariel said:

Having seen the movie, I think it's a good score, one of the better MCU scores actually but it's maybe a bit lacking in the themes department. The sad theme for Wanda is beautiful though and I hope it appears in the additional cues on the deluxe release and maybe the extended version of On the Run, with the Gia theme variation.

My favorite cues are Multiverse of Madness, Main Titles, They'll Be Loved, On the Run, A Cup of Tea and An Interesting Question.

15 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

I'm really getting into it, but I think my biggest issue is that in the busier cues I'm struggling to differentiate between Strange's new theme and Wanda's...they sound similar to me.

I think the action music is fantastic, though - On the Run, Gargantos, Battle Time, the second half of Not a Monster.... I also love Buying Time, which feels like modern Elfman's take on Nightbreed. There's also all the monster movie madness near the end....

I feel the 'standard Elfman' criticisms are a tad unfair. He's not reinventing the wheel here, but the 60s psychedelic electric guitars in 'A Cup of Tea' and the almost Carpenter-like growling synths in 'Looking for Strange' and other cues, while not the most exciting to listen to, are quite distinct moments in Elfman's catalogue. 

Elfman's writing is far stronger, but I can't deny that I miss Giacchino's Strange theme and the instrumentation associated with him. Interestingly, I think they both succeed where the other didn't. 

I love the guitars in A Cup of Tea! It works great in the movie as well.

31 minutes ago, Matt C said:

Is the Illuminati bit where Elfman quotes the 1993 X-Men animated series in the soundtrack release?

31 minutes ago, Jay said:

No

I thought it played when

Spoiler

Professor X appears?

4 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I thought it played when

Hide contents

Professor X appears?

Matt asked if it was on the soundtrack album, and Jay confirmed it was not.

None of the other three guest themes, save for Giacchino's, make an appearance on the current album but they should, fingers crossed, appear on the one that's coming out on the 20th. 

Karol

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Matt asked if it was on the soundtrack album, and Jay confirmed it was not.

I misread. Thanks for the clarification.