Please Help Me Choose More Concert Recordings to Collect

Andy

I've been so focused on trying to complete my collection of Williams film scores on CD,  I've been lax in keeping up with some of the concert recordings.

After being slightly late to the Across the Stars and Vienna parties, I realize there's quite a bit of gems out there waiting for me.  

One example of the kind of thing I'm after is the Patriot arrangement on Lockhart's Lights, Camera, Music.  

I'm looking for recommendations.  Not just film music, but I wouldn't mind dipping my toes into Williams' concertos as well.  I'd like to think I'm ready to broaden my appreciation, and seeing @Jay's thread on Phillips Boston Pops CDs has nudged me a bit to start to fill my shelves with more than OSTs and boutique label Expansions.

Here's what I've got:

1922466044_WilliamsConcertCDs.jpg

I plan to get Lights, Camera, Music, and of course Across the Stars and Vienna, as well as the 3rd Spielberg Collaboration.

What else can you suggest, and are there stunning arrangements of old favorites that I'm missing out on?

3 hours ago, Hedji said:

I plan to get Lights, Camera, Music, and of course Across the Stars and Vienna, as well as the 3rd Spielberg Collaboration

Well, those are certainly the top 4 I'd probably recommend that you don't already have, so you're off to a good start!

If you're looking for something interesting and different, there are 2 different piano-based albums of re-recorded Williams tunes

Playing John Williams

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T1G32FK/r

John Williams: Themes And Transcriptions For Piano

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B072BC16LM/

The Gustavo Dudamel / LA Phil double-album is pretty great too

Celebrating John Williams [2 CD]

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07NBCJFTS/

The LSO put out a tribute for his 90th that sounds AMAZING and is perfectly played by world class talent, but it's all "greatest hits" cuts you've heard a million times, no rare cuts

John Williams: A Life In Music

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B4VQFKZ/

If you want to get really fancy you could get the box set of his Sony era albums for $114

John Williams Conductor

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07713PKXN/

Though I'm pretty sure I've seen that one selling new for $60 on other sites

Ooh... Thank you!  Those piano albums look lovely!  Splendid!  I'd have never considered those on my own.  And the Gustavo Dudamel is definitely on my radar as well.

I've considered the box set, but having 5 of the discs in it already makes me think I should just buy them used individually.  Is the DVD on Spielberg Vol 3 worth getting?  It's not included in the box set, but I do love a good box with shelf presence!

I remember enjoying watching the DVD that came with it.  It's nothing ground breaking or anything, but its always great to see those 2 guys talking about working together, and seeing the pieces be recorded.

I bought the box set version when it came out even though I already had the first 2 volumes because it was only $25 - and it looks like it still is that price.  

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRNZ615/

Think of it as being $15 for the volume 3 CD and $10 for the DVD and it's pretty reasonable IMO

45 minutes ago, Jay said:

Playing John Williams

That's a cool one! I got it for Christmas and had never heard of it before - was truly surprised that people still manage to find (good) Williams stuff that I'm totally unaware of. I've been meaning to post about it ever since, but I've always been too lazy to look if there has ever been a thread (or even individual posts) about it.

7 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I've been meaning to post about it ever since, but I've always been too lazy to look if there has ever been a thread (or even individual posts) about it.

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/29572-david-helbock-playing-john-williams-cd-vinyl-august-2019/

It can get confusing when browsing.  A lot of these look like they just re-issue tracks from other releases.  Are there any gems in here worth checking out?  I recall hearing a fun concert arrangement of the Flag Parade from TPM once.

Any thoughts on any of these?  Any must own compilations?

1824101366_ScreenShot2021-02-19at4_50_29PM.png

You can skip the City of Prague recordings.  There are some decent tracks on them, but on the whole. you really need an A-list orchestra like London, Boston, or LA to perform JW's music.  Same for the Evan Christ album (it's decent, but no LSO...).

The Sony albums are largely repackaged material from the Boston Pops recordings, but there are a few unique tracks.  The Music of America 3-disc set has "Air and Simple Gifts," as well as the 5-movement suite for cello and orchestra from "Memoirs of a Geisha" that isn't available anywhere else.  That's not too expensive (15.98 on Amazon at the moment) so even if a lot of it is redundant you're not paying too much.  It also contains the Bassoon Concerto "The Five Sacred Trees," and you said you're looking to explore some concert works.

Also, the Classic FM "A Life in Music" album is a good CD, if a bit short.  It's just the main hits, but it does include the cello and orchestra version of the Theme from "Schindler's List."

21 minutes ago, Hedji said:

It can get confusing when browsing.  A lot of these look like they just re-issue tracks from other releases.  Are there any gems in here worth checking out?  I recall hearing a fun concert arrangement of the Flag Parade from TPM once.

Any thoughts on any of these?  Any must own compilations?

Well, that CD "John Williams: A Life in Music" is a recent CD by the LSO they released for his 90th birthday.  It's FANTASTIC PERFORMANCES of a bunch of his hits, but that's the rub; It's all the hits you've heard a million times before, no rare cuts.  Still I'd say it's worth getting.  There's a thread about it here https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28319-a-life-in-music-new-2018-london-symphony-orchestra-album-of-john-williams-material/

"The Music of John Williams The Definitive Collection" is just Prague crap (all JW cues they've recorded in one set).  They did record the "Flag Parade" concert version but you can get any of the million Prague CDs they've put it on instead of this giant set if you want.  They also recorded some Azkaban concert versions that JW never recorded, so maybe this is worth it if its cheap enough.

The album "John Williams Greatest Hits 1969-1999" is a great starter JW CD.  It's what I'd give like a niece of nephew who was just getting into scores or something.  It's entirely made up of existing recordings all owned by Sony though - stuff from his Pops albums with them, and some OST albums they released.  So you already having those things don't necessarily need it.

"The Music of America: John Williams" is primarily a cash in title Sony put out in 2010, again collecting previously released tracks by him from other Sony albums.  However, It WAS the first place you could get Air and Simple Gifts on physical disc, as well as the the Geisha suite, which I think was either only a digital release or maybe in an expensive Yo Yo Ma box only before that.  There's a thread about it here https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/18919-music-of-america-john-williams

"John Williams: The Great Movie Soundtracks" is just another cash in Sony title from 2015, again collecting previously released tracks by him from other Sony albums.  This is the infamous release where they put "Sabrina The Teenage Witch" on the back cover instead of just "Sabrina".  There's a thread about it here https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/25766-another-jw-compilation-4-cd-2015/

I gotta get going, somebody else can explain the rest

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

The album "John Williams Greatest Hits 1969-1999" is a great starter JW CD.  It's what I'd give like a niece of nephew who was just getting into scores or something.  It's entirely made up of existing recordings all owned by Sony though - stuff from his Pops albums with them, and some OST albums they released.  So you already having those things don't necessarily need it.

That's one I never bought, because even when I first became aware of it I think I already had everything that's on it.

Here's a tricksy one:

81KhpurMYZL._SX522_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Tribute-John-Williams-Birthday-Celebration/dp/B006WDHDA4/jwfancom-20

It's essential because it's the only (as far as I know?) release of the Happy Birthday Variations. But everything else on it is just previously released stuff. Luckily it's cheap enough now.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Yup, I bought it just to get Happy Birthday Variations.

I also finally bought it a couple of years ago for something like €5.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Sony didn't even bother to put it in the Conductor box, so you still need it even if you get that

I'm still missing quite a bit from that box, but I think I have too much already to pick up the whole box.

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

This one is essential:

81ieT08VKOL._SX522_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005UN9G/jwfancom-20

I'm not a huge fan of Call of the Champions (though that's at least partly because of the horrible recording by Murphy; the unreleased live versions by the Pops sound much better), but American Journey itself has become one of most played Williams scores in recent years, and the rest of the album is very good as well.

There sits on a computer somewhere Williams' recording of CotC he did with the LSO at the beginning of the AotC sessions.  Why such things do not see the light of day are beyond me.  

On 2/19/2021 at 4:07 PM, Tom said:

There sits on a computer somewhere Williams' recording of CotC he did with the LSO at the beginning of the AotC sessions.  Why such things do not see the light of day are beyond me.  

Good lord, I never knew this happened. This is instantly my new JW holy grail. I love CotC.

On 2/19/2021 at 4:54 PM, Hedji said:

1824101366_ScreenShot2021-02-19at4_50_29PM.png

I personally own the greatest hits 1969-1999, it's still an essential.

Music of America is a great one too.

The recent LSO re-recording, very good.

The Sony boxset, that's an alternative to Music of America, but with far less charm.

The Great Composer compilation is another good, featuring rare or underrated tracks, but optional.

A few more (apologies for any duplicates!). While I have tried to avoid things which only have a couple of JW tracks on them, Sound the Bells features the titular JW concert work, plus Fanfare for a Festive Occasion and Aloft...To The Royal Masthead which are pretty obscure. The other works on the album are worth hearing, including some Fanfares, Hymns and Marches by Bruce Broughton.

The Great Movie Scores from the films of Steven Spielberg is a pretty great summary of their collaboration up to about 2000. Can't go too far wrong with Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops (a few unnecessarily rearranged bombastic endings aside). It has a great version of the theme from the Lost World with the more dynamic opening (not sure how different it is to the alternate version on the LLL release).

The two brass/wind albums are enjoyable, although I'd probably go for the John Williams For Winds album as it's has a wider range of repertoire (including a really enjoyable version of the Reivers concert suite with a fine narration, although not sure how it compares to the recent President's Own version). The Denver Brass album is enjoyable, but the playing is that kind of clipped brass style which I don't massively enjoy.

John Williams for Winds_ Music for Cinema and Beyond (USCGB Megan).png

John Williams_ Film and Television Music (Denver Brass).jpg

The Great Movie Scores from the Films of Steven Spielberg.jpg

Sound The Bells! American Premières For Brass (The Bay Brass).png

Euh no, don't listen to this guy (except for the Kunzel CD) there are more essential CDs to get before these ones! :P

I saw you already have the first two Spielberg/Williams collab CD, so you need the third one! 

image.png

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

Euh no, don't listen to this guy (except for the Kunzel CD) there are more essential CDs to get before these ones! :P

I saw you already have the first two Spielberg/Williams collab CD, so you need the third one! 

image.png

Haha. Well I’d not say they were essential, just some slightly off the  beaten track suggestions that’s all. But the three Spielberg/Williams albums on Sony are great.

The only thing I’d say I’m reference to the Silva albums is that they have a few rarities, like tv themes and the suite from the Rare Breed and Black Sunday. The kind of albums that are perhaps worth buying a few tracks from digitally but the better known stuff isn’t a good as the many other options. 

13 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

How is it essential?

Because that's a f***ing good compilation. And if you don't own the (rare) score of The Reivers, well you have the theme from the OST on that compilation. And it sounds on that comp, like it sounds on the 1990 original CD release of the score (by MFM/CBS, Canada), not like the botched 1995 Columbia following version.

And well that's an intro to many many other essential scores (Seven Years in Tibet, JFK, Far and Away, Home Alone, etc.). It have a cue from Rosewood too. Good stuff!

AN ESSENTIAL ENTRY POINT IN ANY SERIOUS JW COLLECTION. :P

I consider any compilation non-essential if it doesn't contain something essential that I wouldn't otherwise have anyway. 

I only have the 1995 Reivers, so I don't know how the earlier release compares. But while I'm certainly looking forward to an eventual remastered release, the 95 version sounds just like I'd expect a 95 release of 69 score to. The score itself could be considered essential, which would make the track on the compilation redundant (except perhaps for differences in sound quality).

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I only have the 1995 Reivers, so I don't know how the earlier release compares. But while I'm certainly looking forward to an eventual remastered release, the 95 version sounds just like I'd expect a 95 release of 69 score to.

It's day and night.

3 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

The only thing I’d say I’m reference to the Silva albums is that they have a few rarities, like tv themes and the suite from the Rare Breed and Black Sunday. The kind of albums that are perhaps worth buying a few tracks from digitally but the better known stuff isn’t a good as the many other options. 

I love this kind of stuff.  The off the beaten path rarities, and unique arrangements of the standards that you don't hear anywhere else.

Here's an example of a surprising orchestral arrangement, similar to the disco version.  I haven't heard this anywhere else.

You are right, I like this version, it seems JW always renied his arrangement made for the Disco single! :lol:

BUT IT'S DONE, IT CAN'T BE ERASED. MOUHAHAHAHAHA!!!

image.png

On 2/19/2021 at 8:20 PM, Jay said:

The LSO put out a tribute for his 90th that sounds AMAZING and is perfectly played by world class talent, but it's all "greatest hits" cuts you've heard a million times, no rare cuts

Well, it has the first recording of the Schindler's List theme with the cello as the soloist.

I think the Bassoon concerto is his best concerto, but the Flute is a close second.

Judith LeClair can’t be bettered for the former (1996, Sony Classical) and Peter Lloyd (?1981, Varese Sarabande) for the latter.

Mark

7 hours ago, Hedji said:

I love this kind of stuff.  The off the beaten path rarities, and unique arrangements of the standards that you don't hear anywhere else.

It's hard to find, but there's also this CD:

It's full of arrangements of JW's music for oboe and chamber ensemble, played by his former principal Oboist with the Boston Pops, Keisuke Wakao (for whom he also composed his Oboe Concerto).  This CD also includes Williams himself playing piano alongside Keisuke in The Days Between, from Stepmom.

Here's an Amazon link, but like I said, it's pricey:

https://www.amazon.com/Keisuke-Wakao-Plays-Music-Williams/dp/B00018H0KO

Keisuke Wakao John Williams.jpg

8 hours ago, QuartalHarmony said:

I think the Bassoon concerto is his best concerto, but the Flute is a close second.

Judith LeClair can’t be bettered for the former (1996, Sony Classical) and Peter Lloyd (?1981, Varese Sarabande) for the latter.

Mark

Have you tried the Naxos recording of Five Sacred Trees? I found the soloist to be every bit as good and the orchestral performance is better and recording are much clearer.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Let's hope we get a Naxos box of Slatkin's recordings for JW's 90th birthday.

That would be great. I think there’s a couple he’s yet to record, the flute concerto and Treesong, his more recent violin concerto (I think). 

3 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

That would be great. I think there’s a couple he’s yet to record, the flute concerto and Treesong, his more recent violin concerto (I think). 

He did record the flute concerto together with the first violin concerto for Varese in the early 80s, so we just need a re-release of that album. Perhaps @BryonDavis could make that happen?

He did record the flute concerto together with the first violin concerto for Varese in the early 80s, so we just need a re-release of that album. Perhaps @BryonDavis could make that happen?

Oh of course. I have that but forgot it was Slatkin on the old varese album too. The Naxos recordings being much more recent. I found the violin concerto somewhat hard work as I recall. Will have to revisit that and Treesong.

The violin concerto is for me still Williams' best non-movie concert work.

For the first movement I prefer the Slatkin recording, for the second and third I prefer the Naxos recording due to the re-arrangements done by Williams for the later recording. 

I think, it is my favourite violin concerto of any composer. Great piece.

That's a very strong statement!

Probably that's part of the reason why I am here on JWFan and not on LvBFan or MRavelFan.

By the way, isn't it ironic, that Maurice Ravel, who was originally a violinist never wrote a violin concerto (apart from Tzigane, which I would not really consider a concerto)?

Just now, GerateWohl said:

By the way, isn't it ironic, that Maurice Ravel, who was originally a violinist never wrote a violin concerto (apart from Tzigane, which I would not really consider a concerto)?

Probably too much respect for the instrument, like JW and the elusive piano concerto.

Talking of the Flute Concerto, can anyone check my working on the separation of the four movements? Based on nothing more than the liner notes of the Varese LSO/Slatkin recording, I think each movement starts at the following times on the recording:

Movement 1: 0:00

Movement 2: 4:13

Movement 3: 5:39

Movement 4: 9:58

Anyone agree? Disagree? Has anyone got sight of the score that they could check with?

Mark