The Official Nino Rota Thread

Bespin

Any advices about getting the music of these scores (OST or even more re-recordings):

• THE GODFATHER (AFI, Academy Award Nominee, Grammy Winner, BAFTA Winner)
  • WAR AND PEACE (AFI)
  • The Godfather: Part II (Academy Award Winner, BAFTA Nominee)
  • La dolce vita (Grammy Nominee)
  • Romeo and Juliet (BAFTA Nominee)

These three re-recordings seems recommended, any fans of those?

• The Fellini Album / Chailly, Filarmonica della Scala
  • Nino Rota / Richard Galliano
  • Nino Rota - Orchestra Sinfonica Di Milano Giuseppe Verdi, Giuseppe Grazioli ‎– Orchestral Works: War And Peace · Bassoon And Trombone Concertos · Amarcord

Essential, but apparently hard to get these days:

410mf9Dz5UL.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Filmmusik-Gianluigi-Gelmetti/dp/B00005V6JV/

The MP3 version has the track list:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DUSVWC8/

4 minutes ago, Linae said:

Nino Rota is one of my favourite film composers.

If I had to narrow Nino Rota down to just his top 6 most essential albums it would be these six:

Two compilation albums and 4 score albums. These six albums should cover much of the best stuff he has written.

The two compilation albums are by far my two most played Rota albums and the two albums I consider to be the most essential - then after that probably Satyricon and Casanova.

By the way, I find all of The Godfather scores overrated so for that reason none of The Godfather music makes my essential list. Don't get me wrong though, they are quite nice, but nowhere near his best work. Much of his best work comes unsurprisingly from the Fellini films.

Casanova is probably my favorite single score of his, but his output, especially his concert music, is sooooo vast, you're really digging into a whole 'nother world. 

This is also another great compilation: 

6 minutes ago, Linae said:

I'm first and foremost a fan of Rota the film composer. I'm not sufficently keen on the concert music of his that I have heard, there is some quite nice stuff, but nothing i'm interested in exploring in detail. I'd much rather listen to my Rota favourites again or maybe even try explore more of the film scores of his I haven't heard than to explore his concert music further. The relatively little I have heard of his concert music strikes me as dull compared to his best film music.

Oddly enough, I have not been compelled to dive deep into Rota's film scores, but I adore many of his concert pieces. 

10 minutes ago, Linae said:

I'm not sufficently keen on the concert music of his that I have heard, there is some quite nice stuff, but nothing i'm interested in exploring in detail.

I quite like this:

59 minutes ago, Linae said:

La Strada is my favourite score of his, but i'm fully satisfied with the two La Strada tracks from the two compilations albums I posted rather than the full score album itself. La Strada is also Elliot Goldenthal's favourite Rota score - I believe Goldenthal has named Rota his favourite film composer together with Bernard Herrmann. I would name Casanova and Satyricon my favourite Rota music after La Strada.

I'm first and foremost a fan of Rota the film composer. I'm not sufficently keen on the concert music of his that I have heard, there is some quite nice stuff, but nothing i'm interested in exploring in detail. I'd much rather listen to my Rota favourites again or maybe even try explore more of the film scores of his I haven't heard than to explore his concert music further. The relatively little I have heard of his concert music strikes me as dull compared to his best film music.

I feel that many people are underrating Rota by the way - I think he is one of the true greats in film music even if he maybe wouldn't make my top 5.

Interesting that you feel that way about his concert music, I feel like the sensibilities that drive his film and concert music are very, very close.

A great intersection between the two is his ballet of La Strada, including the suite based off of it. One of my favorite melodies ever gets really good workouts in it:

From 1:23 on

47 minutes ago, Bespin said:

According to my friend Wiki: "Danny Elfman frequently cites Nino Rota as a major influence (particularly on his scores for the Pee-Wee films)."

It was really disappointing to hear Dumbo and not get that again.

Romeo and Juliet is available from Quartet Records. 2019 remastered reissue. It's a beautiful score. Screen Archives still has it listed as available. I was able to get it from them last July, so hopefully it's still in stock and not an outdated listing. (I find it best to email them before ordering to check on in-stock status. Otherwise your order could be on hold for a long time.) It's also available on Amazon, but not for retail. And a few scattered listings on ebay. 

https://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/39427/ROMEO-&-JULIET-ROMEO-AND-JULIET/

@Linae I listened to some of the cues from the two compilations you listed, I'll prefer to go with re-recordings.

And I don't really want to get the two official OSTs of The Godfather part I & II. I look instead for suites, re-recordings, something else than just the two main themes we usually found on compilations and we hear since 40 years.

On 2/19/2021 at 11:59 PM, csista said:

Romeo and Juliet is available from Quartet Records. 2019 remastered reissue.

https://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/39427/ROMEO-&-JULIET-ROMEO-AND-JULIET/

I'm happy to discover it's the instrumental score only, without the dialogues!

Added to my wishlist!

I've made the decision concerning my 2nd purchase:

• The Fellini Album / Chailly, Filarmonica della Scala

BTW, isn’t it a tragedy that The Godfather original scores has not been yet expanded?

On 2/19/2021 at 11:00 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

Essential, but apparently hard to get these days:

410mf9Dz5UL.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Filmmusik-Gianluigi-Gelmetti/dp/B00005V6JV/

The MP3 version has the track list:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DUSVWC8/

Thank you for this recommendation, I managed to snag it for 3 pounds. I'm particularly interested in the Waterloo suite, it's not so common to find music from that score

6 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I just read that two works on Riccardo Chailly's Fellini album were arranged by our beloved William Ross!

I don't have that particular album myself, but that's a mark of quality.

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

I don't have that particular album myself, but that's a mark of quality.

In the booklet, there's an old B&W pic of of Chailly and Rota taken at a Premiere of one of Rota's concert work, so the repertoire is known by the conductor. I love that.