What midi keyboard do you own?

filmmusic

We have here some composers and people who do midi mock-ups so I was wondering what midi keyboards you have.

I have the M-Audio Keystation 88 and I want to buy a smaller one (49) because I'm always on the move.

Some people have advised me to buy the nektar SE49  but I'd like to by the M-audio one.

However i have seen 2 reviews at amazon, that it requires a powered usb hub to play, and it's not actually "plug and play" as it's advertised.

Also, unfortunately I can't try them on a store to play and see how they feel on my hands.

So, it will be directly buying from the internet.

I have an old piano keyboard with a Midi plug, it can play a midi file, but with a better piano sound (well it sounded good in the 90s!). I don't really play anymore.

YAMAHA YPP-35 (not my video)

I wouldn't necessarily recommend my setup, but for the sake of discussion...I'm primarily using a Nektar Impact LX25+ for MIDI input. The small size is an ergonomic necessity right now, but it does get in the way when a passage has too wide a range. I especially run into it with harp and piano parts, naturally. For those, I have a Yamaha PSR EW300 off to the side. That's also where my sustain pedal is.

My hope is to eventually have a single 88-key controller with a desk that accommodates my wide variety of computing tasks without ergonomic compromises. But for a variety of reasons, that's not possible right now. In the meantime, this gets the job done.

4 hours ago, Datameister said:

I wouldn't necessarily recommend my setup, but for the sake of discussion...I'm primarily using a Nektar Impact LX25+ for MIDI input. The small size is an ergonomic necessity right now, but it does get in the way when a passage has too wide a range. I especially run into it with harp and piano parts, naturally. For those, I have a Yamaha PSR EW300 off to the side. That's also where my sustain pedal is.

My hope is to eventually have a single 88-key controller with a desk that accommodates my wide variety of computing tasks without ergonomic compromises. But for a variety of reasons, that's not possible right now. In the meantime, this gets the job done.

Last year I created a custom desk setup that is pretty huge, and for like $3-400, which is waaaay less than explicitly advertised "music studio" desks! It was pretty simple to set up, let me know if you'd like more details.

To answer the OP, I use the Arturia KeyLab Mk2, and it's awesome. Plenty of control options, synced with DAWs, and a great interface that makes things like switching MIDI CCs a snap.