THE TIME TUNNEL (1966-1967) - Two 3-CD sets from La-La Land Records (Volume 2 coming August 17th)

filmmusic

Yeah, I expected it to come out at some point, to complete the Irwin Allen sets. I'm obviously content with my single TIME TUNNEL CD in the ol' 90s Irwin Allen box (which has the Williams material), but good to have all the other episodes available too, for fans of the show's music.

I have a slightly nostalgic connection to the show, as I watched a few reruns on Super Channel in the mid 80s. Rewatched a few eps a few years back too; the first episode is the best (especially the intro with the whole underground facility set-up).

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

I'm obviously content with my single TIME TUNNEL CD in the ol' 90s Irwin Allen box (which has the Williams material)

Do we know if that is a re-recording and this new edition perhaps contains the original recordings?

9 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Do we know if that is a re-recording and this new edition perhaps contains the original recordings?

Could be re-recordings, I don't know. Doesn't matter much to me. People say the LOST IN SPACE and LAND OF THE GIANTS discs in the Irwin Allen box were re-recordings, but I've always found that odd. Why would they rerecord something that never got a soundtrack release at the time, nor was supposed to?

(guess I could consult the box's liner notes).

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

Could be re-recordings, I don't know. Doesn't matter much to me. People say the LOST IN SPACE and LAND OF THE GIANTS discs in the Irwin Allen box were re-recordings, but I've always found that odd. Why would they rerecord something that never got a soundtrack release at the time, nor was supposed to?

They re-recorded earlier scores in later seasons to be used as library music to drop into whatever episodes that wanted it.  Why they re-recorded it instead of using the original recordings, I don't know, but there must have been a reason

So for Lost In Space, the actual recordings of "The Reluctant Stowaway" Williams conducted that were used in that episode were completely unreleased until the big LIS box, for example;  The prior releases of that music were always the re-recordings conducted by someone else that were recorded to be used as library music

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

They re-recorded earlier scores in later seasons to be used as library music to drop into whatever episodes that wanted it.  Why they re-recorded it instead of using the original recordings, I don't know, but there must have been a reason

To give musicians work. Its a AFM thing.

52 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

This show only had one season

25 minutes ago, Hedji said:

Is this his complete contributions to the show, or will a later volume have more?

Johnny only scored 1 episode (the first)

1 hour ago, Jay said:

So for Lost In Space, the actual recordings of "The Reluctant Stowaway" Williams conducted that were used in that episode were completely unreleased until the big LIS box, for example;  The prior releases of that music were always the re-recordings conducted by someone else that were recorded to be used as library music

unfortunately the Williams conducted cues have horrible sound quality.And I think I prefer the performances on the re-recordings

Neil S Bulk says

I thought that maybe all 12 episode original scores together could be put on 4 CDs.

They're long scores and when everything was timed out we realized it would be more than four discs. As the show only had one season, I pitched six discs instead of a "best-of" compilation. Thankfully, MV agreed.

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=143198&forumID=1&archive=0

The original GNP release inexplicably omitted the familiar time travel music from Williams' pilot score that played at the beginning of almost every episode and that is very much included in this set along with some other Williams music from the pilot that didn't make it onto the GNP set.

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=6&threadID=143198&archive=0

Now I have to buy this release.:(

You don't put all your best stuff in one volume.

FSM spread the Goldsmith music over the three CDs of UNCLE.

It's just smart marketing.

The labels have to make money to at least break even#

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, and filmmusic didn't paste in the rest of the press release, only the track list, so here that is

THE TIME TUNNEL - VOL. ONE: LIMITED EDITION (3-CD SET)
LLLCD 1559
Music by Johnny Williams, Lyn Murray, Paul Sawtell and Robert Drasnin
Limited Edition of 1000 Units
RETAIL PRICE: $39.98

STARTS SHIPPING MARCH 22

Order yours starting MARCH 16 at 12 noon (pst) at www.lalalandrecords.com

La-La Land Records, Synthesis Entertainment, 20th Century Studios and Legendary Pictures proudly present THE TIME TUNNEL: ORIGINAL TELEVISION SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION – VOL. 1: LIMITED EDITION, a deluxe 3-CD collection of original music from the classic Irwin Allen 1966-1967 sci-fi/time-travel adventure television series!

This beloved series chronicled the time-traveling adventures of two scientists flung into varied pasts and futures via a top-secret, underground government base called Project Tic-Toc. THE TIME TUNNEL was producer Irwin Allen’s favorite series among the ones he produced, and unlike LOST IN SPACE, VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA or LAND OF THE GIANTS, it would require the show’s scores to reflect not only the series’ overall sci-fi drama and adventure, but also the varied pasts and presents each episode would visit. Thankfully, a group of talented composers was more than up to this challenge!

This first volume collection of original music from THE TIME TUNNEL features dynamic work from acclaimed composers Johnny Williams, Lyn Murray, Paul Sawtell and Robert Drasnin. who demonstrate fine examples of exciting 1960s television scoring. The show’s pilot “Rendezvous With Yesterday” kicks off this deluxe presentation, which also showcases music from the episodes “One Way to the Moon,” “End of the World,” “The Day the Sky Fell In,” The Last Patrol,” and “Crack of Doom,” with additional music cues also featured, including the debut of the actual Williams’ “time travel” music that played at the beginning of most episodes.

Limited to 1000 units, this 3-CD set is produced by Jeff Bond and Neil S. Bulk, executive produced for 20th Century Studios by Mike Matessino, and digitally edited and mastered from original mono recordings by James Nelson. The exclusive liner notes are by Jeff Bond and the art design is by Mark Banning.

This release is dedicated to the late and greatly missed Kevin Burns. His undying passion for all things Irwin Allen made our Irwin Allen soundtrack releases possible, including this one, which he was thrilled to make available to the fans.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Williams tracks only:

DISC 1

RENDEZVOUS WITH YESTERDAY – Johnny Williams

1. Main Title :40
2. Disappearing Act 1:03
3. To The Tunnel 3:27
4. This Way Senator / Tony Enters Machine 2:55
5. Tony’s First Trip :59
6. The Titanic / Tony’s Tall Tale 2:47
7. State Room / Althea’s Attack / Making Contact 1:56
8. Doug’s Countdown 1:15
9. The Boiler Room :40
10. Doug’s Arrival / Hose Nose 2:29
11. The Telegraph / Approaching The Berg 1:47
12. The Iceberg Cometh 3:57
13. Time Transfer 5:14
14. The Jungle 1:26
15. Bumper :06
Total Score Time: 31:10

DISC 2

1. Tony’s First Trip (Show Dub) :52 Music by J. Williams

DISC 3

1. Main Title (With Overlay) :39 Music by J. Williams

Additional Music

RENDEZVOUS WITH YESTERDAY
31. Disappearing Act (Broadcast Version) 1:03
32. Tony Enters Machine (Alternate Opening) :58
33. Titanic Trot 3:10
34. The Jungle (Alternate Take) 1:26

39. THE TIME TUNNEL End Credits :52

TOTAL JOHN WILLIAMS TIME - 40:10

So, almost 11 minutes more Williams than the old GNP album!

Yavar

6 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Wait, what? JW scored a Titanic-centric episode of a TV show? I did not know this! 

The whole episode is on youtube

7 hours ago, Jay said:

TOTAL JOHN WILLIAMS TIME - 40:10

About 40 minutes of JW material for Time Tunnel and about 40 minutes of JW material for Land of the Giants.  How conveniently close to about one CD's worth of music..... 

15 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

About 40 minutes of JW material for Time Tunnel and about 40 minutes of JW material for Land of the Giants.  How conveniently close to about one CD's worth of music..... 

Maybe LLL will do a "John Williams Irwin Allen Collection", a 3CD (4CD?) set of all his work for Lost In Space, Time Tunnel, and Land of the Giants

Now that's a release I would definitely buy on day one!  Since I've never seen any of these shows, aside from an episode or two of LIS, I've had little to no desire to purchase these box sets.  All these shows were before my time :)

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Maybe LLL will do a "John Williams Irwin Allen Collection", a 3CD (4CD?) set of all his work for Lost In Space, Time Tunnel, and Land of the Giants

And then I'll have to buy *that* just for the Lost in Space tracks as the most recent set is the only one I skipped, because I didn't want to pay so much for so little Williams.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone on JWFan purchase this release?

Has anyone who did received theirs yet?

Has anyone who did listened to it yet?

On 3/31/2021 at 8:46 PM, Jay said:

Did anyone on JWFan purchase this release?

Has anyone who did received theirs yet?

Has anyone who did listened to it yet?

Yes but it has not arrived yet.

On 3/17/2021 at 3:02 AM, Jay said:

Limited to 1000 units, this 3-CD set is produced by Jeff Bond and Neil S. Bulk, executive produced for 20th Century Studios by Mike Matessino, and digitally edited and mastered from original mono recordings by James Nelson. The exclusive liner notes are by Jeff Bond and the art design is by Mark Banning.

Interesting terminology. Does that mean MM was employed directly by 20th Century Fox/Studios to EP this particular release?

Never really understood that aspect of producing expansions. I just assumed producers work freelance, jumping around the different labels as work came up. I don't recall Mike producing something for a studio in recent times though, but maybe I haven't been paying enough attention.

I don't think the process was any different than anything else; I think the film studios always have a limited role in these titles; They find the physical elements and transfer them, get a digital copy to someone (I once took a drive with Neil Bulk into the Warner Brothers studios where he picked up transfers of the Wonder Woman TV show for the 3CD set he produced.  I think they gave him a physical hard drive IIRC), and then the producers do all the work in their own homes.  I would imagine Mike, Neil, and Jeff's paycheck came from LLL and not 20th for this but I guess I don't really know all the ins and outs or why things get worded the way they do

4 hours ago, Jay said:

I once took a drive with Neil Bulk into the Warner Brothers studios where he picked up transfers of the Wonder Woman TV show for the 3CD set he produced. 

I thought the specialty labels were more involved in the transfers, since that's an important step to get right for the best possible sound quality.

I'm not sure what you mean.  The film studios own the elements, and their employees transfer them to digital.

I enjoyed listening through all the Williams material on this set (I will listen to the rest sometime...). I have only listened to the other release of this a few times, so I wasn't overly familiar with it. The sound quality sounds better to me, though not hugely different (didn't expect it to be). I do like hearing the cues separated as opposed to more of a suite as on the older release. 

I wonder if there will be any Williams on Vol 2. Maybe just a couple bumpers, Main and End Title...