Who are your favorite composers to come out of Zimmer's Media Ventures/Remote Control?

Edmilson

Remote Control composers  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Who are your favorite composers to come out of Zimmer's Media Ventures/Remote Control

• Ramin Djawadi
    • Nick Glennie-Smith
    • Jim Dooley
    • Steve Jablonsky
    • Christopher Willis
    • Matthew Margeson
    • Klaus Badelt
    • Jacob Shea
    • Andrew Kawczynski
    • Harry Gregson-Williams
    • Rupert Gregson-Williams
    • Blake Neely
    • Heitor Pereira
    • Benjamin Wallfisch
    • Tom Holkenborg (Junkie XL)
    • Mark Mancina
    • John Powell
    • Trevor Rabin
    • Geoff Zanelli
    • Lorne Balfe
    • Henry Jackman
    • Marc Streitenfeld
    • Other
    • None

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's this and Chicken Run for me.

I love Chicken Run too, but isn't that by Rupert Gregson-Williams? 

Powell, JNH and Harry Gregson Williams are at the top - the rest are mutated Zimmerlings, spawned for the purpose to supply background music. Their Master, HANS has a tight leash on them and only lets them out if they can successfully escape the Remote Control Productions offices in a timed challenge devised by Lorne Balfe, the android.

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I didn't know that JNH was involved with RCP.

He wasn't, he just did two movies with the RC crew, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. It's a common mistake.

Just now, Edmilson said:

He wasn't, he just did two movies with the RC crew, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. It's a common mistake.

I've always wonder which part of Begins' score are from him and which are from RC crew. Did those information ever leaked?

1 minute ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

I've always wonder which part of Begins' score are from him and which are from RC crew. Did those information ever leaked?

We were discussing this on the other day in the JNH thread. The sheets leaked a while ago, so the fans could figure out what cues were him, what were Zimmer and what were his additional composers. 

I believe you'll find this post to be very helpful:

As for The Dark Knight, don't worry, it's even easier to find out who did what: JNH scored the Harvey Dent scenes, Zimmer (and team) scored the rest of the movie.

Powell at the top obviously. He's basically the only one there who's created outright masterpieces. Harry Gregson-Williams I never really cared about outside of his animated work, and a lot of his stuff always sounded dull to me. 

Weirdly enough, I find James / Jim Dooley to be more entertaining than a lot of these guys. He's made some great contributions to a lot of HZ scores (the Tortuga theme from POTC 1 for example), and his score for Epic Mickey is pretty great. His trailer music is basically schlock, though I always had a soft spot for "Trinity", aka the trailer music for Spider-Man 3. I've heard his score for the film Obsessed is good as well. 

Steve Jablonsky I think had more of an identity than most of RCP as well. His more obscure scores for Steamboy, Your Highness, and some Korean game called IDEA are really fun listens with a little more style than usual, and his score for D-War has a lot of solid monster music. Sadly, he seems to have gone full minimalist / lazy nowadays. 

John Powell is clearly going to win this so, like everyone else, looking at the others...

Mark Mancina - Twister, the two Speed scores, MoanaTarzan and Brother Bear for Disney are all pretty great (although I enjoyed Moana less than the other two - Tarzan is really great though). His Planes/Fire & Rescue scores for the Pixar/Disney Cars spin-offs are good fund.

Christopher Willis - The Death of Stalin and David Copperfield guy?! Blimey. On the strength of those alone, he's right up there, both are superb. I'd never have picked him for a RC composer though.

Matthew Margeson - His score Eddie the Eagle is pretty great and the Kingsman scores he co-wrote with Henry Jackman are enjoyable enough. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (written with Mike Higham) never quite makes the mark it keeps threatening to do so - given that it would have been more intimate than some of the other scores for Burton that Elfman has written of late, this definitely feels like a missed opportunity.

Klaus Badelt - Ah, whatever happened to him?! K19 and The Time Machine were both quite popular on release, especially the latter, and his effort for Ned Kelly was a solid drama score but since then... meh... although of his early efforts, his first Pirates of the Caribbean score was a pretty soulless outside the main theme. One of the few occasions where Zimmer taking over definitely improved things.

Henry Jackman - Think I like him more than I realised! Big Hero 6 and his two Wreck It Ralph scores were great fun, with some decent themes and Kong: Skull Island was miles better than I expected (off the back of low expectations admittedly). However I remember nothing about his X-Men score...

The Gregson-Williamses - I never got much from either of Harry's Narnia scores and remember being amused in the liner notes to the second film where the director effuses about the "memorable themes" from the first film. Can't say I have any recollection. It was the moment I realised how different, say, the Harry Potter franchise, could have been without John Williams to write a theme that everyone remembers. As with many of the others, his animated scores (Sinbad in particular) are mostly enjoyable with Kingdom of Heaven as perhaps his finest dramatic work. Although he did most of his best stuff with John Powell... I seem to remember liking Rupert's work more, but looking back, I can't really think which. Over the Hedge is pretty good (and has some great Ben Folds songs too) and Wonder Woman was better than many of the Marvel scores, although Hans' WW84 feels much more fun.

The others I can definitely take or leave. Lorne Balfe (still sounds like the noise an area of grass makes when it throws up) has certainly done some great work on His Dark Materials (although I'd have paid real money for someone like David Arnold or Murray Gold to get the gig) but the good thematic material still feels ill served by the lumpen, simplistic arrangements - Arnold and Gold may have written big, brassy (in every sense) themes, but they have fine orchestrators/arrangers to give those themes more nuance and depth.

41 minutes ago, Thor said:

Damn, Tom, I was supposed to do a run-down like that, but I'm saving it for Friday over a glass of white wine.

Haha... work avoidance is a powerful thing ;-)

15 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

This sentence doesn't make any sense to me.

Lorne = lawn. Balfe = barf. I think only I find this remotely amusing, but I like weird wordplay.

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

LOL. I can't stomach his music either.

Haha... yeah... quite. I do commend His Dark Materials. As I said above, it needs the touch of a more adept arranger/orchestrator as it's kinda blocky, but the thematic material is strong and the music to date has been very enjoyable. Especially if you listen to the themes anthology albums. Having said Arnold or Gold, I kinda think that a Desplat lightness of touch would have been great, but with Balfe's thematic material I do rather like Desplat's score to the ill-fated movie.

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

He’s a little more involved than that, but only through his friendship with Zimmer. He recorded and mixed a couple scores at RCP as well.  

8 hours ago, Edmilson said:

We were discussing this on the other day in the JNH thread. The sheets leaked a while ago, so the fans could figure out what cues were him, what were Zimmer and what were his additional composers. 

I believe you'll find this post to be very helpful:

As for The Dark Knight, don't worry, it's even easier to find out who did what: JNH scored the Harvey Dent scenes, Zimmer (and team) scored the rest of the movie.

Didn't JNH do the romantic scenes as Well as JOKER infiltrating the party?

2 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Didn't JNH do the romantic scenes as Well as JOKER infiltrating the party?

The romantic scenes involving Rachel were scored with the same romantic material from Batman Begins if I recall correctly.

The party scene, which is cue 3M22 Joker Crashes Party, was done by Zimmer according to the sheets.

I don't like His Dark Materials that much. You don't end a main theme on an inverted VI chord! You just don't! The chromatic low brass transitions everywhere are lazy and unpolished.

Looks like Willis is indeed from RCP. He should be in second place from his two scores alone. https://www.christopherwilliscomposer.com/about 

Nick Gleene-Smith did a terrific score for The Man In The Iron Mask which is a sort of pre-POTC of sorts (with a more orchestral sound and a touch of Kamen adventure scores) and a pretty underrated score! Great movie, too.

Dwjadi wrote fantastic scores in addition to the theme for GOT.

INCREDIBLE achievement.

WW also has a great theme.

The underscore has many highlights and I wish season three would get released on.cd.

Jablonsky's first TRANSFORMER deserves all The love it gets.

Also did some nice work on TEARS OF THE SUN.

On 3/3/2021 at 5:34 AM, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

JNH did an interview (recently, I think?) and explained how Begins was both of them basically collaborating on every cue. Really a team effort. Then for TDK, they broke it up by cue. JNH especially focused on the Harvey Dent material and some of the other quieter scenes, if memory serves.

Incidentally, he was effusive about working with Zimmer and the things he learned from him. Personally, I tend to prefer his least Zimmer-like work, but obviously artists and their fans have different perspectives.

So, one week after creating this thread, I guess it's time to check the results.

Unsurprisingly, Powell won in a landslide, with 47 votes. But that was expected. In second place we have his partner in a few old DreamWorks movies, Harry Gregson-Williams - which is also expected, given that this forum has a lot of fans of Antz, Chicken Run and Sinbad.

Ramin Djawadi was the third, with 13 votes. Well deserved, he's indeed an interesting composer and knows how write a great theme (GoT and Pacific Rim are two of the most memorable themes of the 2010s).

Much to my surprise, Henry Jackman was the fourth. He's a bit hit or miss for me, but he does have some good scores in his resumee. 

Mark Mancina closes the top 5, with 8 votes. One vote more than Steve Jablonsky and Trevor Rabin.

I find it surprising that Henry Jackman got more votes than Mark Mancina

I've seen plenty of posts on this forum praising TWISTER, and to a lesser extent Speed, Speed 2, and Planes.

I cannot recall any Henry Jackman score getting much discussion at all, other than briefly when First Class and Kick Ass first came out.

Weird.

Interesting results (well, other than Powell, who was always going to win), and surprisingly high amount of voters!

Still don't get what the big deal about Djawadi is, but the other "winners" are fine.

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

I wouldn't be surprised he he garnered many votes based purely on the Game of Thrones main title theme, which is indeed truly great

What's the longest version of that theme?

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yeah, it's super simple, but also super catchy. Sometimes, simplicity is an artform in itself.

It's not that simple either. It uses two keys, which his colleagues could learn from.

24 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What's the longest version of that theme?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they only recorded it once, then in later seasons had to artificially loop it when they needed to add more names to the credits.

If you mean re-recordings or "cover" versions by other people, I have no clue

if you mean the melody of theme worked into the underscore of episodic cues, that rarely happened, and none of them were very long, from what I recall

the main title cue already is a concert arrangement of the theme

I'm sure there's a million new arrangements of it all over youtube and spotify, and probably some that have been recorded for some CD somewhere.  Who knows

• 4 months later...
On 3/4/2021 at 5:26 PM, Drew said:

I don't like His Dark Materials that much. You don't end a main theme on an inverted VI chord! You just don't!

Came across the post while searching the archives and had to ask: what do you mean by this? As far as I can tell, the main theme hits a non-inverted VI chord at the midpoint (0:21, bass note is A-flat, melody is C, in C minor) and then pretty clearly ends on a non-inverted i chord (C minor at 0:32). Then the same thing repeats in the second half of the piece, with a repeat of the non-inverted VI chord (1:13) before the final section ends on C minor (the melody does finish on F before the last chord, which is an interesting choice but still doesn't create a VI chord inverted or otherwise; if anything it creates the feel of an inverted iv chord over the low C blasting away, but I'd says it feels more like a 4-3 suspension over C minor that never gets resolved).