Which epic sci-fi/fantasy score do you consider the best to listen straight through?

karelm

E.T. The complete score drags a little for me in the first third or so; sometimes, I'll skip, like, one of the quieter tracks before there, just to speed things along, but it goes without saying that the breathtaking final musical sequence is further elevated by following the whole musical journey that leads to it.

The Williams ones are obvious so I won't list them

These are the main ones that really stood out over the years:

The Black Hole-John Barry

Poltergeist -Jerry Goldsmith

Star Trek TMP-Jerry Goldsmith

Cocoon-James Horner

Star Trek 2-James Horner

Krull-James Horner

Clash of the Titans (Rosenthal)

Stargate-David Arnold

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow-Edward Shearmur

Tomorrowland-Michael Giacchino

Pan's Labyrinth-Javier Navarrete

Scores probably on other people's list I find very overated:

LotR,Hobbit

Conan the Barbarian

Cutthroat Island

I don't think I can answer this question, as it's a premise that doesn't exist to me. In my opinion, ALL scores -- whether they're epic fantasy or otherwise -- should be arranged for listening, so they're as close to a concept album as possible. I don't listen to individual cues of anything, I listen to albums from start to finish. Even compilations. So ALL epic fantasy/sci fi scores arranged as concept albums, and working properly in that format, I listen to 'in one sitting'. I don't listen to C&C releases.

In other words, I suppose the only way for me to answer this question, is to say what my favourite fantasy/sci fi soundtracks are, but those are fairly wide parameters, and not really related to what you're asking.

I did, however, do this (English-language) podcast episode some 8 years ago, which lists some of my favourites in the fantasy genre:

http://celluloidtunes.no/celluloid-tunes-10-the-great-fantasy-adventure-episode-3rd-international-edition/

The problem I have with this question is, that for many science fiction fantasy scores I like I just have either the original album or an expansion (Legend, Krull, Poltergeist) but not the complete score in sequential order available, so I cannot tell if it would be a great experience from beginning to end.

Even in the Empire Strikes Back there are some sequences where I am just waiting for the next action pieces, for example the sequence before the Hyperspace track on the complete score. Not so much happening there.

Also when I listen to the complete Alien score there are some sequences that I usually skip.

For me it's a toss up between ET and LotR. More than likely the latter, because the middle of the former is pretty boring (yes LotR has its own king's banquet of languid parts, but come on), but then again ET makes up for it with the greatest final act in the history of film scoring. So it isn't clear cut. But overall, LotR is the greater emotional rollercoaster of the two. For me it's the musical equivalent of a spring morning funeral, a wedding in the afternoon and then a full body Thai massage in the evening, with a happy ending. 

I still don't think there's much to it, considering its mammoth length. The tonal parts are very conventional, the more interesting textures and soloists too sprinkled throughout. ET is nice, but sounds exactly like the American suburbia it portrays and is, I guess, also a bit too Spielberg-ian literal for me (I wouldn't describe it as epic).

I probably would add the Indys rather than the SW'ses, tbh.

4 hours ago, Holko said:

That's the best part, all that buildup! Hyperspace works a billion times better as a payoff to all that than as a standalone!

yes.

While more of a mini-score, The Mission (Amazing Stories) is a textbook example of introducing a theme, running it through quick variations, and then having a very satisfying dramatic payoff. I love the soft winddown statement of the theme at the end.  

9 hours ago, Holko said:

The entirety of AI fits well in here actually.

You're not wrong.  I think AI is quite unique in Williams' oeuvre in its gradual descent from innocence to pessimism.   The last cue is bittersweet since David's wish being fulfilled damns his mom eternally.   I think this along with WOTW are JW's most pessimistic scores.

3 hours ago, Falstaft said:

ESB, of course, and Close Encounters

The LOTR scores do come to mind, but ROTK has some serious longueurs, especially the Extended Edition. I would think FOTR makes for the more involving listen, start to finish.

Fixed

All three LotR scores have areas that drag to some extent, but I think FotR has the least of the problems. I don't find myself listening to the Bag End and early Ringwraith bits much, due to the tracking in the former, and the endless choral material in the latter. RotK has that issue, but magnified, as it has a lot more emotional material later on where Shore's music is wandering a bit.

I think the ideal listening experience for RotK is somewhere between the OST and CR, but I'd only say it about that score - I think the other two mostly hold up.

Rozsa's Ben-Hur fits in the criteria here in a way.  Most of the more fitting scores have already been mentioned.

Oh, except for Horner's The Land Before Time.

That's pretty much a symphonic work right there.

4 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

Rozsa's Ben-Hur fits in the criteria here in a way. 

Hmm, the fantasy elements enter a bit too late and out of nowhere for it to really be considered sci-fi/fantasy.

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

Hmm, the fantasy elements enter a bit too late and out of nowhere for it to really be considered sci-fi/fantasy.

Yeah, and many would not consider them fantasy at all, but the way the score works, with its epic and supernatural modes, does serve as a kind of predecessor for stuff like LOTR more so than many other epic scores of the era.

I listened again to The Mission due to this thread, and then revisited Ghost Train.  What a charming piece of music--it plays like one long cue.  The perfect suggestion for this tread to the ADHD JW Fan.  

9 hours ago, SteveMc said:

Rozsa's Ben-Hur fits in the criteria here in a way.  Most of the more fitting scores have already been mentioned.

Oh, except for Horner's The Land Before Time.

That's pretty much a symphonic work right there.

Excellent suggestions.  I think Ben Hur is a fantastic example because it does grow in emotional heft as it proceeds to the redemption sequences.  I once had lunch with Rozsa's granddaughter.  I was so amazed by her recollections of him from her youth and she was just adorable.  She commented how joyful she was that we were so interested in her grandfather and took special delight in my familiarity with his rarely performed concert music.