New JW Interview on Die Welt (in german)

TownerFan

24 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

I don't think it is longer,

You can see at the link above that text is edited differently and there is an additional answer from JW about Darth Vader's theme. Plus, the headline says that he talks about "nightclubs in Los Angeles", something which has likely been edited out from the printed version.

50 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

You can see at the link above that text is edited differently and there is an additional answer from JW about Darth Vader's theme. Plus, the headline says that he talks about "nightclubs in Los Angeles", something which has likely been edited out from the printed version.

Hmm, indeed. It says:

WELT AM SONNTAG: Lieben deshalb gerade Kinder das düstere Darth-Vader-Thema so?

Williams: Vermutlich ja. Es ist grandios, monumental und gewaltig, aber in seiner simplen Marschstruktur sofort nachvollzieh- und damit wiedererkennbar. So wie übrigens auch das Kostüm von Darth Vader, den man schon als Silhouette dechiffriert.

And the edited article makes it seem as if Williams asked a rhetorical question about the popularity of his concert works, whereas it is in fact likely the interviewer's follow-up question. I marked it as such in my previous post.

Anyway, my library doesn't have those premium articles.

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

No need to apologize. :) As someone else pointed out, it's all about the small details which could change the meaning of an answer if not translated correctly.

Yes, like what exactly are Christmas cookies (Weihnachtsplätzchen) given the diversity in Germany?

hard biscuits like:

Spekulatius

Zimtsterne

Vanillekipferl

or rather the soft ones:

Dominosteine

Magenbrot

Elisen

Printen

Lebkuchen

6 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

Yes, like what exactly are Christmas cookies (Weihnachtsplätzchen) given the diversity in Germany?

hard biscuits like:

Spekulatius

Zimtsterne

Vanillekipferl

or rather the soft ones:

Dominosteine

Magenbrot

Elisen

Printen

Lebkuchen

I really don't know, but I'm willing to test all of these if someone could provide samples.

14 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

hard biscuits like:

Spekulatius

Zimtsterne

Vanillekipferl

or rather the soft ones:

Dominosteine

Magenbrot

Elisen

Printen

Lebkuchen

Would he have called Stollen a cake?

45 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I really don't know, but I'm willing to test all of these if someone could provide samples.

Do the samples have to be lossless?

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Would he have called Stollen a 

Or a fruit loaf?

What made him write "Markings"?

And did it just require a Sacher-Torte in Vienna to get a second violin concerto out of him?

2 hours ago, BB-8 said:

hard biscuits like:

Spekulatius

Zimtsterne

Vanillekipferl

or rather the soft ones:

Dominosteine

Magenbrot

Elisen

Printen

Lebkuchen

The Soft ones you wouldn't call cookies (Kekse). That's rather "Gebäck".

You probably wouldn't call brownies or muffins "cookies".

2 hours ago, BB-8 said:

And did it just require a Sacher-Torte in Vienna to get a second violin concerto out of him?

Well, Korngold used to eat slices of Sacher-Torte with his bare hands, and Williams tends to share Korngold's tastes, doesn't he?

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

You probably wouldn't call brownies or muffins "cookies".

If it gets soft with age, it's a biscuit/cookie. If it gets dry with age, it's cake.

what?  cookies get hard and stale if you leave it out just like a cake would.  What do you mean?

29 minutes ago, Jay said:

what?  cookies get hard and stale if you leave it out just like a cake would.  What do you mean?

Perhaps the rules are different in the US.

Why are the people on that panel sitting so far apart from each other in such a large space?

34 minutes ago, Jay said:

Why are the people on that panel sitting so far apart from each other in such a large space?

Doesn't seem unusual for such a panel show to me.

Huh.  It looked unusual to me.  On a show like that made here the people would be sitting much closer to each other

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Huh.  It looked unusual to me.  On a show like that made here the people would be sitting much closer to each other

I meant COVID-wise those settings seem normal these days. There's always a big gap between people now (that is, in German talk shows at least).

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes but the clip we're talking about is old

sure, I know. was just a joking response.

8 minutes ago, Holko said:

People have respect for personal space in Europe I guess.

not in Berlin. :mellow:

16 hours ago, Holko said:

Well, Brits are Brits.

And Brexit is Brexit...

19 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That's the proper way to eat cake.

Was it Sacher or Demel?

Wasn't there some discussion some months ago about whether Williams ever had a score rejected.

Turns out the answer is no.

Surely he's one of the only major composers to whom this has not happened. He's extremely lucky in that regard.

Also interesting he says Schindler's List main theme was his third attempt but he included the first 2 in the score anyways. Meaning the Jewish theme and Remembrances could have been our main theme for the score! No wonder all 3 get concert presentations.

9 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Also interesting he says Schindler's List main theme was his third attempt but he included the first 2 in the score anyways. Meaning the Jewish theme and Remembrances could have been our main theme for the score! No wonder all 3 get concert presentations.

So far we only knew that he wrote Remembrances first and only later came up with the now main theme.

Remembrances was meant to be the main theme for the score. I can't ever recall him saying that he went straight to write what we now know as the theme from Schindler's List.

What he said in the past was the he intended Remembrances to be the main theme and Spielberg asked for something else. There was never proof that, at that point, the secondary theme for the Krakow Ghetto was already on paper or not when Spielberg requested for a different main theme.

On a side note about SL... remember the sessions track called "recorder theme"? I always thought the word meant the way it was recorded, or that it was meant for recording or that is was an unused source cue from a gramophone maybe...

So I just listened an english class book exercise excerpt talking about instruments... An i say.. recorder....what the hell that is. And look it up and it is just a pedestrian "school flute" LOL.

25 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

So I just listened an english class book exercise excerpt talking about instruments... An i say.. recorder....what the hell that is. And look it up and it is just a pedestrian "school flute" LOL.

While many of us have a problematic relationship to the recorder, due to its school usage, Williams used it wonderfully in JANE EYRE. That was the one that kinda turned me around on the instrument.

The interview is clearly a bad translation into German, so everything has to be taken with a gram of salt. Example: Calling Yoda‘s Theme „vermindertes B-Dur“ makes no sense. It is probably a verbatim translation of „B flat major“, where the flat is being translated as „vermindert“. But B flat is just „B-Dur“ in German. So, obviously a translation hack job which is not worthy to be translated back into English. I would love to get my hands on the English original. 

41 minutes ago, Gurkensalat said:

The interview is clearly a bad translation into German, so everything has to be taken with a gram of salt. Example: Calling Yoda‘s Theme „vermindertes B-Dur“ makes no sense. It is probably a verbatim translation of „B flat major“, where the flat is being translated as „vermindert“. But B flat is just „B-Dur“ in German. So, obviously a translation hack job which is not worthy to be translated back into English. I would love to get my hands on the English original. 

I noticed that too, of course. But besides that I really think it reads well. No response yet from the author....

JW recently spoke to the BBC and said he was looking forward to be in Berlin in October. Does this interview mention anything at all about that?

33 minutes ago, ciarlese said:

JW recently spoke to the BBC and said he was looking forward to be in Berlin in October. Does this interview mention anything at all about that?

No, he doesn’t. I wouldn’t hold my breath for any JW appearance outside the US in 2021.

5 hours ago, Gurkensalat said:

It's not just badly translated, I'm also pretty sure that it's half-fabricated from snippets of an interview session with JW that play out very differently in the actual interview. I'm partly amused/partly dismayed by how many people here try to find interesting titbits in the subtext, when I'm convinced that the subtext is 99% misrepresentation by the author.

2 hours ago, Alex said:

What is German for “I know! But they’re all dead!”?

"Schtumperschreck"

6 hours ago, Gurkensalat said:

So, obviously a translation hack job which is not worthy to be translated back into English.

A translation hack job would be to just take the first google translate result you get. Et vóila:

image.png

You wonder where they got the 'vermindert' from, which is exclusively used for defining a chord.

• 2 months later...
On 3/9/2021 at 11:13 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

Perhaps the rules are different in the US.

Just to pick-up the cookie debate:

This morning on BR-Klassik, there was a short excerpt from an interview with ASM, and she revealed that she had sent around 100 "Nürnberger Lebkuchen" to LA.

So now we know what it takes to persuade JW to commission William Ross ;-)

This cookie story has definitely got the potential to go down in history like the "I know but they're all dead" one. It keeps on popping up at all sorts of places.

If you want to feel like JW (or rather like WR) at Christmas you can order some samples here:

Nürnberger Lebkuchen bestellen | Lebkuchen-Schmidt

Doesn't store bought Lebkuchen send from Germany get stale by the time it arrives in the USA? Although it would probably be the ideal duration for freshly baked Lebkuchen.