New Spielberg movie: The Fabelmans (2022)

Once

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Already shot and was pictured locked well over a year ago. It's been sitting on a hard drive at Disney ever since.

Waiting until the world is normal again, I suppose? Why doesn't Spielberg cave in and give it to Prime or Netflix already?!!

The post immediately before yours answers this question. It's Disney's decision, not his. 

I will happily go see West Side Story in a movie theater and either enjoy it or not enjoy it based solely on what Spielberg actually produced.  But the cultural and political perception of it I think will make it kryptonite both critically and commercially, and probably have little to do with the movie itself.  I will be surprised if that movie gets a single major awards nomination.

43 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

the cultural and political perception of it I think will make it kryptonite both critically and commercially, and probably have little to do with the movie itself.  I will be surprised if that movie gets a single major awards nomination.

I agree with Disco Stu

49 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I wouldn't doubt Spielberg himself was holding out for a theatrical release too though. 

Oh, absolutely. He's fine with making money by producing entertainment for streaming services, but the feature films he directs will be theater only

On 7/24/2021 at 5:42 PM, Disco Stu said:

But the cultural and political perception of it I think will make it kryptonite both critically and commercially, and probably have little to do with the movie itself.  I will be surprised if that movie gets a single major awards nomination.

?

I’ve never seen the original West Side Story but I like the songs and I like Spielberg so I bet this one would be pretty good!

The Fablemans sounds like a pretty stupid name for a movie, like some aughts indie movie.  But it’ll probably be good anyway!

Well, it's "The Fabelmans", not "The Fablemans", and from what I understand, it's not officially titled that, which is why the Deadline articles that have come out lately have reverted to referring to the film as "the film loosely based on Spielberg's childhood" rather than "The Fabelmans" any more.

43 minutes ago, mstrox said:

The Fablemans sounds like a pretty stupid name for a movie, like some aughts indie movie.  

36 minutes ago, Jay said:

Well, it's "The Fabelmans", not "The Fablemans";

44 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Hmm, much better!

2 hours ago, Jay said:

from what I understand, it's not officially titled that, which is why the Deadline articles that have come out lately have reverted to referring to the film as "the film loosely based on Spielberg's childhood" rather than "The Fabelmans" any more.

Yeah, I think it's just a working title. We'll see if it sticks.

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot recall if I've seen pictures of Spielberg's mom before and I'm far too lazy to google now, so does anyone know if Michelle Williams looks anything like her here?

46497127-9879309-There_she_is_Michelle_W

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2021 at 10:47 PM, crumbs said:

I'm still a bit perplexed about what this film actually is.

I fear it to be a self-indulgent, boring movie.  Yet, I hope otherwise, and I hope Williams scores it.  

• 3 weeks later...

Looks good, I can see the resemblance to Arnold. It's insane to think that he lived to be 103 years old (or was Rogen playing an uncle...I've lost track?).

Rogen is playing a character inspired by Spielberg's favorite Uncle

Michelle Williams and Paul Dano are playing the characters inspired by his parents

• 5 weeks later...

Replying to this comment here, seems the better topic.

9 hours ago, Jay said:

And when will Williams write The Fabelmans score?  Is Spielberg even done shooting that?  When will its rough cut be ready?

According to Deadline, Michelle Williams recently finished shooting. Seth Rogen is posting podcasts on social media.

Chloe East posted this 3 days ago, presumably from her final day (she's currently in Greece):

image.png

FWIW, IMDB says the film is in post-production.

So if they've wrapped, it would probably have a first cut ready in a few weeks. Could Williams start working on this soon? Maybe even record in January, before starting on Indy 5?

3 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

I hope we hear some sort of confirmation that he's working on this or Indy by the end of the year. It's exciting when he has back-to-back projects but also fills me with dread King Mark-style.

They usually announce the full cast and crew, with a brief synopsis, not long after production wraps.

If the film is a small scale drama like The Post, I could see him finishing it before even starting Indy. Or maybe starting the score this year then finishing it next July.

9 hours ago, crumbs said:

So if they've wrapped, it would probably have a first cut ready in a few weeks. Could Williams start working on this soon? Maybe even record in January, before starting on Indy 5?

That was always my guess.  Williams would write and record Fabelmans before Carnegie Hall, then write and record Indy 5 after Carnegie Hall.

But then these 2 June concerts got announced and made me think that can't be possible. So now it's kind of a mystery

The production is so low-key, we probably won't even know the score is being recorded unless JKMS or one of the musicians post something on SM. 

I think the same thing happened with The Post; it all just happened and we were none the wiser. 

If it's a small ensemble/chamber score like Lincoln, I could easily see Williams writing it before January. 

Technically Williams isn't even announced as composing this yet, as opposed to Indy 5 where Williams was announced before shooting even began

Of course I fully expect Williams to score it, but maybe this is indeed a Holiday 2022 movie and Spielberg won't show it to Williams until after Williams is completely done with all his concerts and Indy 5?  And Williams won't be announced as the composer until the hype train begins for its release?

I think it depends on the score Spielberg wants. If it's something unobtrusive like The Post, they could easily knock it over by January.

Unfortunately I don't think they can put the whole film on ice until July just for Williams. The sound team need a completed score to integrate into the mix before moving onto other projects, for example.

The logical solution is that Williams focuses on just the film cues for now, then returns after Indy 5 for a round of album sessions and concert arrangements (basically anything the film didn't need but he traditionally records for his soundtracks). 

With today's news that Williams begins work on Indiana Jones 5 next week, I now assume he'll finish all scoring duties on IJ5 before doing Fabelmans after, which probably indicates this is releasing in theaters after Indiana Jones 5.  So likely a fall/winter 2022 release, not a spring/summer 2022 release.

I’m going to be honest, if Indy 5 somehow makes it so that JW can’t score this, I will always resent the Indy movie for it, I’d be gutted.  If forced to choose, I would rather him do something new than another sequel score.  But I’m also someone who has listened to the final track of The Post more times than any single track from either TLJ or TROS, so take my opinion with a grain of salt :lol:

On 15/10/2021 at 6:03 PM, Disco Stu said:

I’m going to be honest, if Indy 5 somehow makes it so that JW can’t score this, I will always resent the Indy movie for it, I’d be gutted.  If forced to choose, I would rather him do something new than another sequel score.  But I’m also someone who has listened to the final track of The Post more times than any single track from either TLJ or TROS, so take my opinion with a grain of salt :lol:

So there is a bright side to the Indy 5 delay for me at least.....