New Spielberg movie: The Fabelmans (2022)

Once

33 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I don't think Lincoln affected anything (unless JW was really set on scoring Jack Reacher)

By the way, I thought we had an unspoken agreement that we would automatically like any post the other made that mentioned The Post score favorably.  

4 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

"The Fabelmans pushed back to June 2023"

Not funny!

Not involved, just was offered it but turned it down.

IIRC it's mentioned in the booklet of the Jack Reacher OST released by LLL?  Or maybe only the story of Tom Cruise hearing the first recorded cue and asking McQuarrie where he found Kraemer because he hasn't heard a cue that good since Born on the Fourth of July, or something like that

I can't find the article where he tells the story now, or maybe it was a video interview?  It might have been one of these

There was also video online of Kraemer meeting Williams, shaking his hand and thanking him for turning down Jack Reacher, but I can't find that video now either

I'm curious to see how Williams would score a movie like JR... maybe it could've been a return to his darker scores from the 1990s like Sleepers and Nixon.

But I'm not THAT disappointed because Kraemer's score is pretty good... And another reminder that he should've been doing way more high profile movies!

10 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I don't think Lincoln affected anything (unless JW was really set on scoring Jack Reacher)

The BFG was pretty wide open too

And West Side Story didn't affect anything else JW was doing :angry:

• 4 weeks later...

Until this morning I hadn't taken note of the fact that this movie is being distributed by Universal.  If JW scores this, God willing, it will be nice that the film they make together about Spielberg's childhood will be made for the studio where they began their historic collaboration.  Anyway, it's Spielberg's first movie for Universal since 2005.

Yes, but I'd also like there to be at least ONE more collaboration after THE FABELMANS, so it reaches 30 before a possible conclusion. Just to have a nice, round number. Alternatively, we can fill the gap with AMAZING STORIES, THE UNFINISHED JOURNEY, A TIMELESS CALL or some such thing. :)

Am I the only one who sometimes which that Williams, in his spare time, rewrite the score of the Spielberg movies he couldn't do?

Not out of disrespect to the other composers but I would love to hear Duel scored by Williams, The Color Purple, The Bridge of Spies and Ready Player One, just to know how it could have sound (and to get more Williams of course)

1 hour ago, May the Force be with You said:

Am I the only one who sometimes which that Williams, in his spare time, rewrite the score of the Spielberg movies he couldn't do?

Not out of disrespect to the other composers but I would love to hear Duel scored by Williams, The Color Purple, The Bridge of Spies and Ready Player One, just to know how it could have sound (and to get more Williams of course)

That is something I rather wish for the Star Wars stuff, that Williams didn't do or the Harry Potter movies.

But the mentioned Spielberg score are very ok, therefore no need for a rewrite.

6 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

For a time, JW was in the frame to score ALIEN, but then, so was Tomita, so...wtf?

Ridley Scott: Hmm ... deep space ... aliens ... synthesizers ... TOMITA!

There's logic in this.

I understand wondering about the Spielberg films he didn't score, but he's been approached and maybe unofficially attached to so many movies over the years at a certain point you're just wondering "what if JW scored every movie?" :lol:

13 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I understand wondering about the Spielberg films he didn't score, but he's been approached and maybe unofficially attached to so many movies over the years at a certain point you're just wondering "what if JW scored every movie?" :lol:

No just that one as a none Spielberg because it's a genre he didn't really do

He probably didn't do it, for good reason, although we'll never know what the reason is.

22 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Some scores are perfect as they are, that I wouldn't want JW to write them.

3 minutes ago, Brónach said:

This movie seems boring on paper.

"Alien gets lost and hooks up with snot-nosed kid, in suburban America".

I'm sure that seemed boring on paper, as well.

Let's wait and see, shall we?

11 minutes ago, Brónach said:

This movie seems boring on paper.

I agree, but I rarely likes these coming of age movies based on the director's childhood. There are some exceptions though, like Boyhood.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Once said:

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Cool!

Williams won't write the score until after his returns from Italy then, I guess.  Actually, he might write it while living near Tanglewood in August

1 hour ago, Jay said:

True, maybe he's already writing Fabelmans and will record it before his spring concerts, and then write Indy 5 after those...

Just like Indy 5, this is a film I am already excited to see without having even seen a preview for it.

I do remember BFG had wrapped in the summer and Williams mentioned he was about to start on it during a TFA interview in December. So he has waited that long in the recent past, but that was also VFX heavy, and also Williams was busy with Star Wars the whole year anyway. So I guess it just depends where the best gaps in his schedule are from now to November. 

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

I don’t know anyone named Fableman.

It's a play on the actual Jewish surname of Abelman/Ableman.  I'm guessing because it's about a boy who wants to be a storyteller through film, to tell fables sort of.

It always makes me think of the great Coen brothers film A Serious Man, which had a prominent character named Sy Ableman

image.png

Universal has stuck to their guns this year in terms of giving all their movies a traditional theatrical release with a normal exclusivity window before they hit streaming/video, but given the box office performance of West Side Story, and the outlook for "grown-up" movies in general, will The Fabelmans be a "Peacock Original" or whatever?

Spielberg has incredible clout of course, especially given his history at Universal (even UNadjusted for inflation, ET is still in the top 10 highest grossing Universal movies, Jaws in the top 25), but I also can't see them wanting to flush money down the toilet for him.  They could work out a deal like Netflix did with Scorsese to have a much shorter theatrical window and a fairly limited release in terms of theater count before it debuts streaming.

I'm not saying I think this is likely, but I bet it's something they discuss!

• 4 weeks later...

There's definitely some traction happening with the score. According to IMDB, there's now two music credits:

image.png

Mark Graham has worked on basically every JW score since The Phantom Menace (although he's only been head of music preparation in the last 10 years). I guess it's worth noting he also does Alan Silvestri's scores but not Thomas Newman's. Either way, the fact he's already involved (and by proxy, JoAnn Kane Music Service) could indicate the score is further along than we expected.

Music clearance indicates someone in charge of securing rights for existing music (like source music), which isn't surprising for a film set in this era.

Also, didn't Indiana Jones 5 get pushed to June 2023? Doesn't that create even more space between it and Fablemans now, which is November 2022? Especially since it is done filming, right?

11 minutes ago, scallenger said:

Also, didn't Indiana Jones 5 get pushed to June 2023? Doesn't that create even more space between it and Fablemans now, which is November 2022? Especially since it is done filming, right?

Correct. Indy V getting pushed back a year might be a blessing in disguise if Williams can score both movies, rather than maybe choosing one over the other.