New Spielberg movie: The Fabelmans (2022)

Once

Imagine Williams winning the Best Original Score next year for his final movie with Spielberg! :lovethis:

On the other hand, given the kind of score the Academy likes these days, the winner will probably be another minimalistic, electronic and sound design-y for an indie movie.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So it will be set from as early as Christmas time 1953, through no later than Christmas time 1965

His amateur short films were "The Last Gun", "Fighter Squad", and "Escape To Nowhere" from 1959-1961

His amateur feature length film "Firelight" premiered in Phoenix on March 24th, 1964.  Seems to me that making this will be the third act of the film and the film's premiere could factor into the movie's climax.

"Amblin'" didn't come out until 1968, and his first job directing for television was 1969

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

So this movie is actually an autobiography? I thought it was only semi-autobiographical, sort of based on his life.

To "actually" be an autobiography, the character would have be named "Steven Spielberg" and Spielberg would have to write the whole thing himself.

Since he's choosing to rename the family to "The Fabelmans", he probably feels he can take more liberties with what actually happened during those years - plus, it's co-written by Tony Kushner anyway.

But who knows! It's not like Kamiński's few sentences is some definitive thesis on the film or anything

Ah. See that's what I thought, but his quote in the article makes it seem like SS is the main character, not somebody based off of him with a different name. Looking forward to this

To be honest, this Spielberg film is the one I have been more excited for than anything he has done in the past decade. I am honestly glad he chose to do this over another Indiana Jones film... especially when that one also still happened! I am really curious how the score will sound.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I haven't been this excited for a new John Williams score in a while.  I just feel like it's going to be extra special

Considering how Steven teared up when the Maestro played themes on the piano, and how personal this story is, I’ll echo that sentiment.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

Considering how Steven teared up when the Maestro played themes on the piano

What's this now?

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

What's this now?

It was in that big NY Times profile last month

“The Fabelmans” has been particularly emotional, he said, given its importance to Spielberg. On a recent day, he recounted, the director wept as Williams played through several scenes on the piano."

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/08/arts/music/john-williams-hollywood-film.html

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tom said:

I can be slow on the uptake, so perhaps this is known to everyone, but reading the article below, the last name of the family is Fabelman.

https://deadline.com/2022/04/the-fabelmans-star-gabriel-labelle-signs-with-caa-1234993990/

What did you think Fabelman meant? 

cute-and-funny-cartoon-garden-gnome3d-cl

On 22/03/2022 at 5:25 PM, Stu said:

Plenty of directors have made movies "inspired by" their childhoods where the basic events match reality but all the details are fictionalized.  I'd guess that's what this is.

Spielberg has already made two films "inspired" by his childhood: CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND, and E.T. THE EXTRATERRESTRIAL.

I wouldn't say those were inspired by his childhood so much as they were thematically relevant to his childhood.  I understand someone thinking that's a difference without a distinction, but I don't!

54 minutes ago, Stu said:

I wouldn't say those were inspired by his childhood so much as they were thematically relevant to his childhood.  I understand someone thinking that's a difference without a distinction, but I don't!

Would it be the height of irony if I pointed out that the expression is typically distinction without a difference??

CE3K and ET (and Poltergeist) have elements inspired by specific incidents in his childhood but they're sci-fi/fantasy. Fabelmans is presumably a drama where the narrative is centered on his entire upbringing. This isn't complicated! 

20 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Was Spielberg abducted by aliens when he was a child?

Spielberg was probably one of them :)

19 hours ago, Stu said:

16 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

CE3K and ET (and Poltergeist) have elements inspired by specific incidents in his childhood but they're sci-fi/fantasy.

Balls!!! :lol:

Our Steve is the most autobiographical director who has ever lived.

We're all so familiar with Steven Spielberg's childhood story that this will kind of be like a movie adaptation of a familiar novel.  I'm excited to see how they adapt certain scenes to film.  

• 1 month later...

Yet another actor interview where they speak vaguely about The Fabelmans.  It’s Michelle Williams’ turn.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/michelle-williams-steven-spielberg-pay-equity-the-press-1235260981/amp/

2022 for Williams, one that will see her not only reunite with Reichardt but will include her first collaboration with Steven Spielberg, who tapped the actress to play his mother in his upcoming semi-autobiographical film, “The Fabelmans.”

“We were sitting around the house in COVID, with one day looking a lot like the next, and my phone beeped, and I had a message that Steven wanted to talk to me,” Williams remembers, her eyes welling up with tears. “I couldn’t comprehend that he might want to work with me. I thought he had a question or something. Then he got on the Zoom and told me that he wanted me to play this person, his mama.”

It felt like the culmination of something that she had long been working toward, Williams says. Growing up in a small town in Montana, her first exposure to the movies came with watching Spielberg films like “Empire of the Sun.” As she matured, the idea that one day they might collaborate continued to motivate her.

“I’ve been doing this since I was 12,” Williams says. “My first agent was also an undertaker. I’ve had a lot of different experiences in this profession, but this felt like the ultimate.”

Working on “The Fabelmans” came with an added sense of responsibility, because it is so personal to Spielberg. The film follows a movie-loving kid, growing up in Arizona, charting both his big ambitions and the emotional devastation that accompanies his parents’ divorce. Williams stars alongside Paul Dano as Spielberg’s father, with Seth Rogen as his beloved uncle. Tony Kushner, the “Angels in America” playwright who has worked with the director on “Lincoln” and “West Side Story,” is penning the script.

“It’s funny, it’s sad, it’s kind of everything,” Williams says. “It’s the muchness of life. We’re trying to reflect all of that.”