New Spielberg movie: The Fabelmans (2022)

Once

I wonder if for the gunslinger scenes (like the article mentions) we'll have an original score or needle drops.

To be honest, both could be interesting. I think at this point I'm much more interested in hearing Williams' intimate material than the bombastic stuff. Particularly for this movie.

Just now, Brando said:

What is a needle drop?

Using other preexisting recordings (score or songs) that weren't specifically composed for the movie itself. The phrase refers to a vinyl, dropping the needle and letting it play instead of paying an orchestra.

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

Using other preexisting recordings (score or songs) that weren't specifically composed for the movie itself. The phrase refers to a vinyl, dropping the needle and letting it play instead of paying an orchestra.

Ohhhhh, that makes sense. I figured it was something like that but I wanted to make sure

I've never disliked a Spielberg realistic drama film, so it's a safe bet that I'll at the very least like this film, and there's always the chance that it's one that really gets under my skin like Lincoln or Bridge of Spies have done in the last decade.

But then, this film seems to be truly unique in his filmography.

49 minutes ago, Holko said:

Ever seen Homecoming on Prime? Superb needle dropping!

Not that I want The Fabelmans to have a needle dropping score, mind you, I have a feeling this could be an exceptional JW score. 

Hard to believe this is basically just the third Spielberg/Williams collaboration in a decade, after their absurdly prolific prior decade.

An entire Star Wars trilogy isn't a bad consolation prize though.

On 25/8/2022 at 4:21 PM, Holko said:

I wonder where did i got the notion that the expression “needle drop” meant a small portion? Like “he feeded us information in needle drops” or something. 

is there a similar expression?

21 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I wonder where did i got the notion that the expression “needle drop” meant a small portion? Like “he feeded us information in needle drops” or something. 

is there a similar expression?

You're thinking of the phrase "drip feed" I think.

1 hour ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I will be seeing a TIFF screening of this film on September 17th. I've actually never been to the festival in any capacity and am very excited for the experience! I mean, what could be more special than the latest Spielberg/Williams collaboration?

Looking forward to reporting back in a couple of weeks!

The J Team has an insider, well done!!!

On 05/09/2022 at 7:33 AM, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I will be seeing a TIFF screening of this film on September 17th. I've actually never been to the festival in any capacity and am very excited for the experience! I mean, what could be more special than the latest Spielberg/Williams collaboration?

Looking forward to reporting back in a couple of weeks!

Don't you mean the last?

How is there still no trailer for this film? The premiere is three days away.

Still don't have a grasp on the film's tone/style. The poster does little to change that.

41 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

First impression: not an attractive poster

Indeed. Less is more...

Was the premise and character names known before?

Premise:

Growing up in post-World War II era Arizona, from age seven to eighteen, a young man named Sammy Fabelman discovers a shattering family secret and explores how the power of films can help him see the truth.

Cast:

Michelle Williams - Leah Fabelman
Paul Dano - Burt Fabelman
Gabriel LaBelle - Sammy Fabelman
Seth Rogen - Benny
Julia Butters - Anne Fabelman
David Lynch - John Ford

37 minutes ago, scallenger said:

I don't understand the negativity around this poster/the film itself apart from the music. What did anyone expect?

I'm very much looking forward to the film, late-period Spielberg dramas are my bag, baby. 

I just think the poster looks.... cheap?  I dunno how to explain it.  Like a made for cable movie in 2002 or something.

5 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Has anyone heard how they're making 1950's Phoenix? Is it all special FX or is any of it location? It's a very different place.

Its set in the new trek universe where 1950's Phoenix looks just like 2021 Phoenix.  Also Khan is president and Goldy Wilson is vice-president. 

5 minutes ago, Tom said:

Its set in the new trek universe where 1950's Phoenix looks just like 2021 Phoenix.  Also Khan is president and Goldy Wilson is vice-president. 

Damn. I was hoping they would at least just re-use the sets from Raising Arizona.

The Fabelmans will premiere in the Toronto International Film Festival in just two days. Between Helena's theme and this, some lucky attendees will get to listen to music from a second new Williams score in just a week. How incredible is that?