New Spielberg movie: The Fabelmans (2022)

Once

I like that the descriptions keep using words like joyous.  A piano-driven score (if indeed that is what it is) that is joyful would be something new for Williams, unless I am not remembering some film.  The Accidental Tourist, Sabrina, and Book Thief are great but somber.  Obviously great tracks like Over the Moon and Snowy's theme, but the scores themselves and not piano-heavy.  

Edit: Maybe Stanley and Iris, which doesn't do much for me--oh well.  

22 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I only just realized that Universal is releasing this movie opposite Black Panther 2.... :pat:

My prediction: BP2 opens in the neighborhood of $250 million, Fabelmans $8-12 million

Well ok I feel better now that I know it's a limited opening on 11/11, not wide.

2 hours ago, Oskar said:

Here's the trailer

Did I mention that this is THE film I have been looking forward to this whole year? Next year is Indiana Jones 5. I’m seeing both films opening night; no question. Man, I cannot wait! 

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

The trailer says the movie opens in "select theaters" on Nov 11. Will the OST album be released then or will we have to wait until the wide release on Thanksgiving?

I’d be willing to guess the day before/day of the big release. I find it even odder that it’s being released on Wednesday, not Friday, but I’m definitely not complaining

On 10/09/2022 at 4:22 PM, Disco Stu said:

I only just realized that Universal is releasing this movie opposite Black Panther 2.... :pat:

My prediction: BP2 opens in the neighborhood of $250 million, Fabelmans $8-12 million

That's in North America.  Here in the UK it's out on 23 January.. opposite What's Love Got to Do with It? (romcom with Lily James and  Emma Thompson) and Unwelcome (horror movie with Hannah John-Kamen and Douglas Booth)

36 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Tweet thread from David Sims, film critic for The Atlantic and host of the Blank Check podcast:

image.png

https://twitter.com/davidlsims/status/1568815766505664512

What is a "goy bully"? Did he meant to say a "gay bully"? Or a bully whose name is Guy?

5 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

What is a "goy bully"? Did he meant to say a "gay bully"? Or a bully whose name is Guy?

A goy is a non-Jewish person (from a Jewish perspective, like you wouldn't self-identify as a goy)

I think my younger self very much would've enjoyed this movie - and maybe my current self will find it nostalgic.

Unfortunately, I've developed a cynicism that might make this less effective for me. We'll see!

Either way, it'll be interesting to see the story of Spielberg in this way and have a new John Williams score!

4 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Has any other director made a film of his own childhood?

Kenneth Branagh's BELFAST, François Truffaut's THE 400 BLOWS, Ingmar Bergman's FANNY AND ALEXANDER...

There is a time in the life of every single director that they go back to their childhood or produce something about film directing crisis: Federico Fellini's OTTO E MEZZO, Bob Fosse's ALL THAT JAZZ, Alejandro González Iñárritu's BIRDMAN...

21 hours ago, Oskar said:

Here's the trailer

Wow, this trailer music is so vomit unducingly generic shit that I can't even remotely tell what the actual tone of the film will be. However, most trailers misrepresent their respective movies nowadays. Consider me not not interested.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Thanks for that, @Juanki.

You're welcome!

5 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Wow, this trailer music is so vomit unducingly generic shit that I can't even remotely tell what the actual tone of the film will be. However, most trailers misrepresent their respective movies nowadays. Consider me not not interested.

Trailer features has become a strange thing nowadays. Not only completely unnecessary with such a lot of material round the Internet, buzz and tweets, but also because they are usually suited as the same kind of feature: generic music (with nod to popular theme if we are talking about a sequel or whatever), false epic feeling (I mean, have you seen those European films artsy trailers? They are awful selling you the ultimate movie when that's not the point), spoilers sometimes, etc.

There was a time when trailers were as valuable as the film itself and was a real introduction letter (even with pieces of the original score). But hey, film experience today doesn't really exist at all.

3 hours ago, AC1 said:

Just saw the trailer, perhaps a tad too sentimental?

It's super trailerised, so it's always hard to tell, but based on the positive comments so far, I hope the over-sentimental bombast is a property of the trailer rather than the film itself.

1 hour ago, Juanki said:

Trailer features has become a strange thing nowadays. Not only completely unnecessary with such a lot of material round the Internet, buzz and tweets, but also because they are usually suited as the same kind of feature: generic music (with nod to popular theme if we are talking about a sequel or whatever), false epic feeling (I mean, have you seen those European films artsy trailers? They are awful selling you the ultimate movie when that's not the point), spoilers sometimes, etc.

There was a time when trailers were as valuable as the film itself and was a real introduction letter (even with pieces of the original score). But hey, film experience today doesn't really exist at all.

Trailers have always been part of what it's needed to advertise a movie (that's what they are: ads) and they've always been part of the Hollywood marketing machine. Nowadays there is a lot of pressure mostly because of the buzz generated by views, share, likes and whatever metrics studios need to fuel the hype propelled by incredibly aggressive marketing departments. You cannot believe the level of scrutiny and granular review these things get before they're being put out, as studios know these things are getting watched instantly by millions of people and they define, for better or worse, what the movie is going to be for the audience. Music is a big part of the overall recipe and it's a component that gets constantly revised and tinkered with, going through many level of approvals before the final sign off by the studio. It's perhaps even worse than the actual scoring process for the film itself.

One trick you can do with trailers like this is watch it with the sound muted.  Without the distraction of the awful modernized trailer music, you can take the imagery in on its own and get a better idea of the film that way

1 hour ago, TownerFan said:

Trailers have always been part of what it's needed to advertise a movie (that's what they are: ads) and they've always been part of the Hollywood marketing machine. Nowadays there is a lot of pressure mostly because of the buzz generated by views, share, likes and whatever metrics studios need to fuel the hype propelled by incredibly aggressive marketing departments. You cannot believe the level of scrutiny and granular review these things get before they're being put out, as studios know these things are getting watched instantly by millions of people and they define, for better or worse, what the movie is going to be for the audience. Music is a big part of the overall recipe and it's a component that gets constantly revised and tinkered with, going through many level of approvals before the final sign off by the studio. It's perhaps even worse than the actual scoring process for the film itself.

I understand your point. In my opinion, I prefer not to watch its trailer if I have a minimum of interest in the movie.

3 hours ago, Juanki said:

A much appreciated film critic once said, movie trailers originally served to tell the potential viewer that they're about to see something exciting and entirely new, whereas nowadays trailers assure their viewers that all they're about to see is well-known already and nothing is gonna take them out of their comfort zone.

56 minutes ago, Juanki said:

I understand your point. In my opinion, I prefer not to watch its trailer if I have a minimum of interest in the movie.

I usually don't watch trailers at all - now I did it once and immediately regret it.