Jump to content

New Spielberg movie: The Fabelmans (2022)


Once
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

 

Already shot and was pictured locked well over a year ago. It's been sitting on a hard drive at Disney ever since.

 

Waiting until the world is normal again, I suppose? Why doesn't Spielberg cave in and give it to Prime or Netflix already?!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The post immediately before yours answers this question. It's Disney's decision, not his. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will happily go see West Side Story in a movie theater and either enjoy it or not enjoy it based solely on what Spielberg actually produced.  But the cultural and political perception of it I think will make it kryptonite both critically and commercially, and probably have little to do with the movie itself.  I will be surprised if that movie gets a single major awards nomination.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

 the cultural and political perception of it I think will make it kryptonite both critically and commercially, and probably have little to do with the movie itself.  I will be surprised if that movie gets a single major awards nomination.

 

I agree with Disco Stu

 

 

49 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I wouldn't doubt Spielberg himself was holding out for a theatrical release too though. 

 

Oh, absolutely. He's fine with making money by producing entertainment for streaming services, but the feature films he directs will be theater only

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/24/2021 at 5:42 PM, Disco Stu said:

But the cultural and political perception of it I think will make it kryptonite both critically and commercially, and probably have little to do with the movie itself.  I will be surprised if that movie gets a single major awards nomination.


?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve never seen the original West Side Story but I like the songs and I like Spielberg so I bet this one would be pretty good!

 

The Fablemans sounds like a pretty stupid name for a movie, like some aughts indie movie.  But it’ll probably be good anyway!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, it's "The Fabelmans", not "The Fablemans", and from what I understand, it's not officially titled that, which is why the Deadline articles that have come out lately have reverted to referring to the film as "the film loosely based on Spielberg's childhood" rather than "The Fabelmans" any more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, mstrox said:

The Fablemans sounds like a pretty stupid name for a movie, like some aughts indie movie.  

 

36 minutes ago, Jay said:

Well, it's "The Fabelmans", not "The Fablemans";

 

44 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Hmm, much better!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jay said:

from what I understand, it's not officially titled that, which is why the Deadline articles that have come out lately have reverted to referring to the film as "the film loosely based on Spielberg's childhood" rather than "The Fabelmans" any more.

Yeah, I think it's just a working title. We'll see if it sticks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Mike said on Maurizio's podcast yesterday that he expects JW to score it (of course), but that nothing is announced yet. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I cannot recall if I've seen pictures of Spielberg's mom before and I'm far too lazy to google now, so does anyone know if Michelle Williams looks anything like her here?

 

46497127-9879309-There_she_is_Michelle_W

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Jay said:

I cannot recall if I've seen pictures of Spielberg's mom before and I'm far too lazy to google now, so does anyone know if Michelle Williams looks anything like her here?

 

46497127-9879309-There_she_is_Michelle_W

 

screen-shot-2015-11-13-at-8-02-39-am.png

 

Same hairstyle and lipstick for sure. Similar dress sense I guess.

 

I'm still a bit perplexed about what this film actually is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good find, crumbs. I think I have that pic in one of my Spielberg books, can't recall which.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2021 at 10:47 PM, crumbs said:

I'm still a bit perplexed about what this film actually is.

I fear it to be a self-indulgent, boring movie.  Yet, I hope otherwise, and I hope Williams scores it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Tom said:

I fear it to be a self-indulgent movie ...

 

I fear it won't be but I can always hope. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/9/2021 at 2:58 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Haven't seen it yet, but I've at least purchased it now.

Watched it, yet? Good, isn't it. I love it :)

 

It's official: the new title of the SS bio is

 

Spoiler

DADDY DEAREST

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Looks good, I can see the resemblance to Arnold. It's insane to think that he lived to be 103 years old (or was Rogen playing an uncle...I've lost track?).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rogen is playing a character inspired by Spielberg's favorite Uncle

 

Michelle Williams and Paul Dano are playing the characters inspired by his parents

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.