New Spielberg movie: The Fabelmans (2022)

Once

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Already shot and was pictured locked well over a year ago. It's been sitting on a hard drive at Disney ever since.

Waiting until the world is normal again, I suppose? Why doesn't Spielberg cave in and give it to Prime or Netflix already?!!

The post immediately before yours answers this question. It's Disney's decision, not his. 

I will happily go see West Side Story in a movie theater and either enjoy it or not enjoy it based solely on what Spielberg actually produced.  But the cultural and political perception of it I think will make it kryptonite both critically and commercially, and probably have little to do with the movie itself.  I will be surprised if that movie gets a single major awards nomination.

43 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

the cultural and political perception of it I think will make it kryptonite both critically and commercially, and probably have little to do with the movie itself.  I will be surprised if that movie gets a single major awards nomination.

I agree with Disco Stu

49 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I wouldn't doubt Spielberg himself was holding out for a theatrical release too though. 

Oh, absolutely. He's fine with making money by producing entertainment for streaming services, but the feature films he directs will be theater only

On 7/24/2021 at 5:42 PM, Disco Stu said:

But the cultural and political perception of it I think will make it kryptonite both critically and commercially, and probably have little to do with the movie itself.  I will be surprised if that movie gets a single major awards nomination.

?

I’ve never seen the original West Side Story but I like the songs and I like Spielberg so I bet this one would be pretty good!

The Fablemans sounds like a pretty stupid name for a movie, like some aughts indie movie.  But it’ll probably be good anyway!

Well, it's "The Fabelmans", not "The Fablemans", and from what I understand, it's not officially titled that, which is why the Deadline articles that have come out lately have reverted to referring to the film as "the film loosely based on Spielberg's childhood" rather than "The Fabelmans" any more.

43 minutes ago, mstrox said:

The Fablemans sounds like a pretty stupid name for a movie, like some aughts indie movie.  

36 minutes ago, Jay said:

Well, it's "The Fabelmans", not "The Fablemans";

44 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Hmm, much better!

2 hours ago, Jay said:

from what I understand, it's not officially titled that, which is why the Deadline articles that have come out lately have reverted to referring to the film as "the film loosely based on Spielberg's childhood" rather than "The Fabelmans" any more.

Yeah, I think it's just a working title. We'll see if it sticks.

• 3 weeks later...

Mike said on Maurizio's podcast yesterday that he expects JW to score it (of course), but that nothing is announced yet. 

I cannot recall if I've seen pictures of Spielberg's mom before and I'm far too lazy to google now, so does anyone know if Michelle Williams looks anything like her here?

46497127-9879309-There_she_is_Michelle_W

28 minutes ago, Jay said:

I cannot recall if I've seen pictures of Spielberg's mom before and I'm far too lazy to google now, so does anyone know if Michelle Williams looks anything like her here?

46497127-9879309-There_she_is_Michelle_W

screen-shot-2015-11-13-at-8-02-39-am.png

Same hairstyle and lipstick for sure. Similar dress sense I guess.

I'm still a bit perplexed about what this film actually is.

Good find, crumbs. I think I have that pic in one of my Spielberg books, can't recall which.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2021 at 10:47 PM, crumbs said:

I'm still a bit perplexed about what this film actually is.

I fear it to be a self-indulgent, boring movie.  Yet, I hope otherwise, and I hope Williams scores it.  

4 hours ago, Tom said:

I fear it to be a self-indulgent movie ...

I fear it won't be but I can always hope. 

On 4/9/2021 at 2:58 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Haven't seen it yet, but I've at least purchased it now.

Watched it, yet? Good, isn't it. I love it :)

It's official: the new title of the SS bio is

Spoiler

DADDY DEAREST

• 3 weeks later...

Looks good, I can see the resemblance to Arnold. It's insane to think that he lived to be 103 years old (or was Rogen playing an uncle...I've lost track?).

Rogen is playing a character inspired by Spielberg's favorite Uncle

Michelle Williams and Paul Dano are playing the characters inspired by his parents