John Williams to score Spielberg's next?

Jay

Will John Williams score this film?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Will John Williams score this film?

• I think John Williams will score this film
    • I think Thomas Newman will score this film
    • I think Alan Silvestri will score this film
    • I think a different composer will score this film
  2. 2. Do you hope that John Williams scores this film?

• Yes, I hope John Williams scores this film
    • No, I'd prefer it if someone else scores this film.

This poll is closed to new votes

The only way I see in which Spielberg DOES NOT use Williams is if Covid restrictions stop JW to go to the recording sessions. But then again, by early 2022 I believe JW (and Spielberg) will be vaccinated.

Of course he will.

The only reasons he wouldn’t are health-, or pandemic-related—let’s hope we’ll be out of the tunnel in 2022!

This could be Spielberg’s version of Truffaut’s “L’argent de poche” (Small Change). It’s interesting he was working on a similar project in 1981 (called “After School”) and that turned into ET. 

2 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

It’s interesting he was working on a similar project in 1981 (called “After School”) and that turned into ET. 

I don't know this story

Interesting!  Here's the wikipedia write-up of this

After his parents' divorce in 1960, Spielberg filled the void with an imaginary alien companion. He said that the imaginary alien was "a friend who could be the brother [he] never had and a father that [he] didn't feel [he] had anymore".[4] In 1978, he announced he would shoot a film entitled Growing Up, which he would film in four weeks. The project was set aside because of delays on 1941, but the concept of making a small autobiographical film about childhood would stay with him.[5] He also thought about a follow-up to Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and began to develop a darker project he had planned with John Sayles called Night Skies in which malevolent aliens terrorize a family.[5]

Filming Raiders of the Lost Ark in Tunisia caused a sense of loneliness in Spielberg, far from his family and friends, and made memories of his childhood creation resurface.[5][6] He told screenwriter Melissa Mathison about Night Skies, and developed a subplot from the failed project, in which Buddy, the only friendly alien, befriends an autistic child. His abandonment on Earth in the script's final scene inspired the E.T. concept.[6] She wrote a first draft titled E.T. and Me in eight weeks,[6] which he considered perfect.[7] The script went through two more drafts, which deleted an "Eddie Haskell"–esque friend of Elliott. The chase sequence was also created, and he also suggested having the scene where E.T. got drunk.[5]

In early summer 1981, while Raiders of the Lost Ark was being promoted, Columbia Pictures met with Spielberg to discuss the script, after having to develop Night Skies with the director as the intended sequel to Close Encounters of the Third Kind. However, the head of Columbia Pictures' marketing and research development, Marvin Atonowsky, concluded that it had a limited commercial potential, believing that it would appeal to mostly young kids.[8] The President of Columbia's worldwide productions, John Veitch, also felt that the script was not good or scary enough to draw enough crowd. On the advice of Atonowsky and Veitch, Columbia Pictures CEO Frank Price passed on the project, thus putting it in a turnaround, so Spielberg approached the more receptive Sid Sheinberg, president of MCA, the then-parent company of Universal Studios.[9][8] Spielberg told Sheinberg to acquire the E.T. script from Columbia Pictures, which he did for $1 million and struck a deal with Price in which Columbia would retain 5% of the film's net profits. Veitch later recalled that "I think [in 1982] we made more on that picture than we did on any of our films."[8]

I think John Williams will very much want to do this and Spielberg will obviously want his music. So it'll just depend on other factors.

If not I think it'll probably be Thomas Newman. Or maybe he'd even surprise with no score.

Sounds great! Though nothing guarantees Spielberg will go ahead with this particular project, but I'm optimistic about it.

Here's hoping for a small, intimate score.

Considering he's co-writing it and it's autobiographical, I would think there's a better shot than some of the other random projects that have had false starts. Covid is a factor obviously.

Then again he couldn't find the right little Jewish boy for Edgardo Mortara so it may be twice as hard when it's his Mini-Me!

This is the first time since Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker where I have been excited to see a film based on early news descriptions before seeing an actual trailer. This film sounds VERY special, and I have no doubt that Maestro John Williams will do the music for what sounds to be Spielberg’s most personal story he has written/directed. As long as there is no scheduling conflict with the fifth and final Indiana Jones film, there is no doubt.

29 minutes ago, Jay said:

What's with the empty posts by you lately, @Fabulin?

I erase redundant or poor quality remarks, mistakes, weak jokes, and posts that have, on a second thought, been too negative. In contrast to BloodBoal, I leave the good stuff.

12 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

As long as there is no scheduling conflict with the fifth and final Indiana Jones film, there is no doubt.

That hadn't even occurred to me. Would be ironic, after finally moving past all the Star Wars scheduling conflicts.

Hopefully he can do both projects. If Indy 5 releases as planned, JW should be scoring it before the end of the year (seems a little farfetched to me).

Anyway, this sounds like a much better final collaboration than The Post. Seems like a fitting way to close out their partnership, if indeed it does.

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Shall we start on official betting pool on if JW will score Indy 5? (assuming the film itself actually happens still).  I'm firmly in the "no way" camp.

They're meant to start shooting in May, which is hard to believe.

It'll probably end up like TLJ. We'll hear no official word all throughout production then he'll make some offhand comment right before he starts writing (complete with amusing anecdote about doing yet another Indy score after 4 decades).

4 minutes ago, crumbs said:

They're meant to start shooting in May, which is hard to believe.

It'll probably end up like TLJ. We'll hear no official word all throughout production then he'll make some offhand comment right before he starts writing (complete with amusing anecdote about doing yet another Indy score after 4 decades).

I'm saying that even if it's made, I don't think JW will score it.

56 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

So, luckily next year we'll have not one, but TWO new Williams scores. Indy 5 in July and Little Spielberg by the end of the year (to improve its Oscar chances). 

Or they will compete against each other and he will lose.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

I'm yet to hear a logical argument why he would pass on Indy 5, except that Spielberg himself isn't directing it.

I think the fact it’s been touted as the “final Indiana Jones film” increases the chance he’d take the assignment, even without Spielberg on board.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

In that new interview, it sounded like Williams was itching to get back to film scoring. I'm yet to hear a logical argument why he would pass on Indy 5, except that Spielberg himself isn't directing it. That didn't stop him from scoring a Star Wars trilogy without Lucas, or other films he simply had a personal interest in (Memoirs, Book Thief).

I don't know if Williams is overly eager to score yet another heavily-edited SFX extravaganza just for it to be butchered in post.  

7 hours ago, Edmilson said:

So, luckily next year we'll have not one, but TWO new Williams scores. Indy 5 in July and Little Spielberg by the end of the year (to improve its Oscar chances). 

Or like in the past 30 years itch they will give it to someone else even if his score is way better, it's the Oscars after all...

Anyway the scores will probably be great and I think it's all what matter.

I think it's quite sweet that Spielberg would like to make a film tribute to his mother. Michelle Williams is great casting, I'm sure his mom will be flattered. I wouldn't go to the cinema to see it, though. 

3 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I don't know if Williams is overly eager to score yet another heavily-edited SFX extravaganza just for it to be butchered in post.  

Good point. I guess they'd offer him the same recording schedule he got for Star Wars though, which he seemed happy about it.

It means lots of extra work for musicians too, which he's probably mindful about (especially after the way COVID ravaged the industry).

3 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Spielberg is still involved, right? So I would hope that he would prevent that.

8 hours ago, Edmilson said:

That would be the absolute dream! Still hoping.

JW will get first option to score Indy 5 and it will totally be up to him to accept or decline the assignment, there's no question about it.

I have a hunch he might decline this time around, but his fondness for the character and the franchise is well known so it might be very tempting for him to have one final hurrah with Indy's heroics, as it happened with Star Wars.

20 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I think I'd rather have JW score the Spielberg film and John Powell score Indy 5 (with a new JW theme or two although I think JP is quite capable of writing some great new themes as he showed with Solo).

I'd want Joel McNeely to do the INDY film, since he provided some great scores for the YOUNG INDY series (I prefer his material over Rosenthal's). But the likelihood of that happening is zero. He's not A list enough.

But yeah -- I'd much rather have Williams do this new Spielberg film, should it come into fruition.

6 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

If she were still alive she probably would be.

She had great innings, though! Passed at age 97 in 2017. Williams' mother about the same age, back in 2006-ish. Gene-wise, that bodes well for many more collabs.

Oh is it his dad who's still alive then. I recall he lost a parent not so long ago, wasn't sure which one. 

13 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

If she were still alive she probably would be.

From Gan Eden. 

23 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Oh is it his dad who's still alive then. I recall he lost a parent not so long ago, wasn't sure which one. 

Arnold died last year, aged 103(!). Amazing genes, all around. Poor John Williams sr. is the odd one out among the four parents, as he only reached 79.

It's interesting that he's mentioned wanting to make a film like this for awhile but was always afraid what his parents would think of it. He must have started reflecting on it again after losing both of them. 

If I'm allowed a little bit of trepidation here, amidst the rightful enthusiasm, I both fear and think it's likely that it will be another THE BFG or THE BOOK THIEF. But it's a long way still, and I allow lots of room for a positive surprise (much like THE POST was). First the movie needs to be made, and first we need to know that Williams is scoring it.