Raiders of the lost ark soundtrack

pro-arte

Sure, why not? 

It's rumoured Paramount and Spielberg's team worked on new UHD masters of the 4 films at the same time as WOTW. It's possible they asked Mike to assist with a Dolby Atmos conversion of the scores or something (I doubt the dubbing masters for 1-3 were higher than stereo). 

2017 should have kicked off a series of complete Star Wars expansions in honor of Star Wars' 40th anniversary, but Disney Records didn't do it.

all came and went without Star Wars expansions either

I'm not hopeful they'll kick off Indiana Jones expansions now in 2021 for Raider's 40th.

I think they'll happen some day - all 9 Star Wars scores and all 4 Indiana Jones scores... 

But there won't be any logic or reason for why they chose the time they did... it'll just finally get going for reasons we'll never know

And they'll be great!

We just already have recordings or mockups of all the music in all these scores except for TROS and assuming the sound issues of past releases will be improved I just already know they'll be great regardless of how the music is programmed. 

Plus it's not like MM would choose some radical new programming ideas in these 13 scores. He knows what fans want. 

Some people have probably lived and died without ever seeing expanded scores come to fruition and there's nothing more depressing than that. Meanwhile music rots in vaults, studios sit on their artworks to hoard them instead of share them with willing consumers.

Technically it's hard for a Star Wars expansion not to coincide with some anniversary...

2022: ANH 45th Anniversary, AOTC 20th Anniversary, TLJ 5th Anniversary

2023: ROTJ 40th Anniversary

2024: TPM 25th Anniversary, TROS 5th Anniversary

2025: ESB 45th Anniversary, ROTS 20th Anniversary, TFA 10th Anniversary

In fact, 2021 is the only year without an anniversary for any JW SW film until 2026.... it would be rather amusing if they decided to drip-feed the 9 expansions over the next 5 years, specifically avoiding each anniversary.

But as pointed out ad nauseam, if the best they could muster for SW & ESB's 40th were lazy vinyl reissue, expansions clearly aren't front of mind for Disney.

On 3/12/2021 at 1:13 AM, Bounty95 said:

I think it made sense for SW to wait until TROS had come out. Now there's no excuse anymore. 

Jay is still doing the proofreading. 13 booklets is a lot to get through!

On 3/11/2021 at 10:40 PM, crumbs said:

Sure, why not? 

Why not? Because Lucasfilm is owned and controlled by a group of snide, cynical, avaricious, see you next Tuesdays, who don't know the first thing about true artistic integrity and offering the public what it really wants.

I believe a 5 box set is coming out later in the year with all 4 Indy films remastered in 4K and 5.1 audio to mark the 40th anniversary of Raiders. Perhaps the music has been newly remastered for this? Seems Paramount still have rights to the 4 films so must have the rights to the music.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Why not? Because Lucasfilm is owned and controlled by a group of snide, cynical, avaricious, see you next Tuesdays, who don't know the first thing about true artistic integrity and offering the public what it really wants.

The public wanted more Star Wars and got it... with a vengeance.

On 3/12/2021 at 12:17 AM, Jay said:

2017 should have kicked off a series of complete Star Wars expansions in honor of Star Wars' 40th anniversary, but Disney Records didn't do it.

all came and went without Star Wars expansions either

I'm not hopeful they'll kick off Indiana Jones expansions now in 2021 for Raider's 40th.

I think they'll happen some day - all 9 Star Wars scores and all 4 Indiana Jones scores... 

But there won't be any logic or reason for why they chose the time they did... it'll just finally get going for reasons we'll never know

And they'll be great!

I am quite sure, for Star Wars the will publish each expanded score one by one. One every two month. The complete box with everything and maybe a bonus track will come at the very end. This way they make sure that every hardcore fan buys each soundtrack twice. This is going to be so mean.

With the official announcement today of the 4K Blu-ray, who knows... we might get complete 192kHz/24bit releases of everything.:)

If not, at least we'll have the music in Dolby Atmos in the 4K Blu-ray.

FB_IMG_1615859291901.jpg

• 11 months later...

The page that he shows from 0:58-1:22 has a misaligned bar on the bottom, like part of his sketch was photocopied over another part.  Any idea what that's all about based on what you can see?

30 minutes ago, Jay said:

The page that he shows from 0:58-1:22 has a misaligned bar on the bottom, like part of his sketch was photocopied over another part.  Any idea what that's all about based on what you can see?

Hmm, looks like the bass line, which would be bassoon, cellos, bass, and timpani, plus the snare drum written off the staff at the very bottom. Guess he may have changed his mind about what they should play there, but I don't know why they'd bother replacing all the measures with the repeat sign. 🤷‍♂️

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Re-listening to this. Man, some straight up amateurish intonation from the brass. It really hampers my enjoyment of the score. I usually love Maurice Murphy, but he was having a rough time, or something, on this recording., and the trombones living up to their reputation as the "human pitch approximators." 

Yes, it's quite dry, though not as bad as Star Wars. But they had done Empire by then and should have had it figured out. 

It's a testament to how "ordinary" it was for Williams to crank out ground breaking scores a few times a year back then that Raiders is not one of the greatest scores of all time.

My criticism is of the performance, not the music, and the brass playing is just sloppy in a lot of tracks. The attacks aren’t together, and they’re out of tune. It’s the kind of performance Gramophone might call “rustic and passionate.” I get it if some people can overlook those issues, but It bugs me, and, as I said, hampers my enjoyment of the score.

Honestly, I'd bet that its because of the faulty '08 release you're listening to, unless you're listening to the original release of the OST. The '08 box set is nice but from what I've gathered it appears it wasn't assembled with the best care it should have, plus the pitch in a lot, if not all, the tracks are off, plus most of the film takes aren't used because a lot of them don't match the film audio (not counting the films microedits). Indiana Jones, just as much as Star Wars, desperately needs the MM treatment.

23 minutes ago, Brando said:

Honestly, I'd bet that its because of the faulty '08 release you're listening to, unless you're listening to the original release of the OST. The '08 box set is nice but from what I've gathered it appears it wasn't assembled with the best care it should have, plus the pitch in a lot, if not all, the tracks are off, plus most of the film takes aren't used because a lot of them don't match the film audio (not counting the films microedits). Indiana Jones, just as much as Star Wars, desperately needs the MM treatment.

I'm listening to the DCC release, and this is instruments out of tune in unison passages, not the tape speed being incorrect. If you don't hear it, then I'm not going to point it out, but the In the Jungle, Map Room Dawn, and Desert Chase cues have plenty of examples of what I'm talking about.

2 minutes ago, Datameister said:

I agree wholeheartedly that the brass's timing is all over the place. Especially the trumpets. The difference is that I enjoy it. I've heard plenty of performances that were hurt by sloppiness, but this one sounds like Maurice Murphy was just having too much fun. Pitch sounds mostly fine to me as well. Overall, it just feels like an extremely energetic performance that's slightly coming apart at the seams—in a fun way. Can't blame anyone who disagrees though.

I love it in the film for these very reasons, but by itself, the faults become too noticeable for me. Star Wars has some rough spots, too, but I think it achieves a better balance of energy and accuracy. Empire and Superman are better performances all around.