JW Gets 6 More Oscars: Which Do You Give Him?

igger6

JW Gets 6 More Oscars: Which Do You Give Him?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Here are JW's first 25 Oscar nominations that did not win. If he could have won three more times in this span, which statues would you give him?

• The Reivers
    • Images
    • The Poseidon Adventure
    • Cinderella Liberty
    • "Nice to Be Around" (from Cinderella Liberty)
    • The Towering Inferno
    • Superman
    • The Empire Strikes Back
    • Raiders of the Lost Ark
    • "If We Were in Love" (from Yes, Giorgio)
    • Return of the Jedi
    • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    • The River
    • Empire of the Sun
    • The Witches of Eastwick
    • The Accidental Tourist
    • JFK
    • "Somewhere in My Memory" (from Home Alone)
    • Home Alone
    • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    • Born on the Fourth of July
  2. 2. Here are JW's second 25 Oscar nominations that did not win. If he could have won three more times in this span, which statues would you give him?

• "When You're Alone" (from Hook)
    • "Moonlight" (from Sabrina)
    • Sabrina
    • Nixon
    • Sleepers
    • Amistad
    • Saving Private Ryan
    • Angela's Ashes
    • The Patriot
    • A.I. Artificial Intelligence
    • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
    • Catch Me If You Can
    • Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
    • Memoirs of a Geisha
    • Munich
    • Lincoln
    • The Book Thief
    • Star Wars: The Force Awakens
    • Star Wars: The Last Jedi
    • Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
    • War Horse
    • The Adventures of Tintin

Welcome to Maestro Madness!  John Williams gets to take home six more Oscars in total.  Which would you award him?  My original thought was to give him another five Oscars (to keep his mantle from sagging lopsidedly), but because polls are limited to 25 options, I had to split it into two questions.  I know that makes it a bit more artificial, but it's an interesting exercise to divide his nominations in half all the same—they're sort of like "pre-legend" and "legend" brackets.

NOTE: CE3K is excluded because he beat himself that year with Star Wars, and we're not taking away Oscars, just adding them. Valley of the Dolls, Tom Sawyer, and Goodbye, Mr. Chips are out because they weren't totally original Williams compositions.  Sorry if that's your bag.

Hopefully the fact that I clicked "multiple choice question" at the bottom of the box means you'll be able to choose more than one answer, but I've never done a poll like this before, so it might all be for naught.  Behave yourself and only choose three!

Well, this is just going to be become an "everyone pickz their three favorite scores from each era" type poll, when what we really should be judging, for each one individually, is how is compares to the other nominees of that year, but that information isn't provided and most people will just vote without looking it up

Geisha, Azkaban, TROS are the obvious ones to me. I guess from the first batch... Empire of the Sun, Superman, ToD.

@Jay, I'll leave that poll to someone with more time.  This occurred to me while grading research papers this weekend, and I'm just surfacing long enough to post it before submerging again for the last 13 in the pile. 

Wow.  I mainly made this poll because I was curious what I would choose, and the second half was much harder than I expected.  I never realized that Hook's score wasn't nominated.  Good grief.  I went with both Potters and TFA.  [Ducks, covers.]

My options for the first batch are the most boring as possible: Superman, Empire and Raiders. 

The second was a little more interesting. I voted for The Patriot (easily the best score from the nominees that year), Prisoner of Azkaban (better than that Finding Neverland crap) and TLJ (my favorite ST score).

JFK ,

SUPERMAN .

THE LAST CRUSADE

E.T#

Schindler#

WAR HORSE

THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE

SO five additional

best score  winners.

Interestingly Zimmer came in number one for two scores, so far#

ESB should have ' lost" to ALTERED STATES

Yep.

2001 was, in my opinion, one of the strongest years for the Original Score category at the Oscars, with all five nominees being at least great:

Randy Newman - Monsters Inc

John Williams - HP 1

John Williams - A.I.

James Horner - A Beautiful Mind

Howard Shore - Fellowship of the Ring

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Well, this is just going to be become an "everyone pics their three favorite scores from each era" type poll, when what we really should be judging, for each one individually, is how is compares to the other nominees of that year, but that information isn't provided and most people will just vote without looking it up

Not necessarily just favourites. Yes, it's a different question than actually judging each entry against the competition, but it's just a what if scenario where that's not relevant. Your version would be a massively more complex puzzle. In any case, I gave one vote to Images, which I wouldn't single out as a favourite (I very rarely listen to it), but as Williams at his most avant-garde, it's certainly worthy.

54 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

JFK , and SUPERMAN are obvious.

NIXON

WITCHES

SLEEPERS

A.I.

I didn't pick any of those.

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Yep.

2001 was, in my opinion, one of the strongest years for the Original Score category at the Oscars, with all five nominees being at least great:

Randy Newman - Monsters Inc

John Williams - HP 1

John Williams - A.I.

James Horner - A Beautiful Mind

Howard Shore - Fellowship of the Ring

Thanks.

I'd pick ABM because I thought the film was better.

Both scores made my 'best of the decade" list

( click on my signature)

IMAGES, RAIDERS and JEDI for the first.

A.I., AZKABAN and MUNICH for the second.

But yeah -- it's basically asking what your favourite score is, of his nominations where he didn't win. But I tried to put some personal favs aside, and look at the "broader" picture.

Oy, analyzing the ways I screwed up this poll is perhaps a more interesting exercise than the original question.  It's ironic that I'd miss "Last Crusade," because listening to that score after @TownerFan referenced it in his most recent podcast is what inspired me to create this thread in the first place.  That and "War Horse" and "Tintin" are back in, but for some reason it totals 50 choices now, which doesn't make sense if JW has been nominated 52 times, won 5 (thus 47 remaining), and I removed two adaptation noms and CE3K.  Oh, well.  Work beckons.  But if anyone can figure out what the heck went wrong, I'd be curious to know.

23 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Not necessarily just favourites. Yes, it's a different question than actually judging each entry against the competition, but it's just a what if scenario where that's not relevant. Your version would be a massively more complex puzzle. In any case, I gave one vote to Images, which I wouldn't single out as a favourite (I very rarely listen to it), but as Williams at his most avant-garde, it's certainly worthy.

I didn't pick any of those.

After going thru all the polls only the first two are  number one but I added three others

Superman

Raiders

Empire

honorable mention: BOTFJ

Saving Private Ryan

Memoirs of a Geisha

A.I. - although that means sacrificing Howard Shore’s well deserved win for LOTR

• 2 weeks later...

I don't give him any other Oscar.

The only "stolen" oscar I consider, is the one Morricone lost to this stupid and unmemorable jazz score...

6 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Why was I the only vote for LAST CRUSADE?

Must have been another JW nom that year?

There was Born on the Foruth of July but I think it's more because most people prefered Superman, ESB and Raiders to this one. Choosing only three among all of them is quite tricky...

• 1989 fives nominees:
The Little Mermaid by Alan Menken (Winner)
Born on the Fourth of July by John WIlliams
The Fabulous Baker Boys by Dave Grusin
Filed of Dreams by James Horner
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade by John Williams

14 hours ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:
  • 1989 fives nominees:
The Little Mermaid by Alan Menken (Winner)
Born on the Fourth of July by John WIlliams
The Fabulous Baker Boys by Dave Grusin
Filed of Dreams by James Horner
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade by John Williams

The Little Mermaid only won because the Academy loves giving the award to musicals with catchy songs (see also the other Menken victories for Disney and La La Land).

But I think Williams (whether it's for Indy 3 or BO4J) or Horner should've won that year.