What would have been your Oscar choice for Best Original Score? (90's)

What would have been your Oscar choice for Best Original Score? (90's)  

35 members have voted

1. 1. 1990

• Dances with Wolves by John Barry (Official Winner)
    • Avalon by Randy Newman
    • Ghost by Maurice Jarre
    • Havana by Dave Grusin
    • Home Alone by John Williams
    • Presumed Innocent by John Williams (not nominated)
    • Stanley & Iris by John Williams (not nominated)
    • None of them
  2. 2. 1991

• Beauty and the Beast by Alan Menken (Official Winner)
    • Bugsy by Ennio Morricone
    • The Fisher King by George Fenton
    • JFK by John Williams
    • The Prince of Tides by James Newton Howard
    • Hook by John Williams (not nominated)
    • None of them
  3. 3. 1992

• Aladdin by Alen Menken (Official Winner)
    • Basic Instinct by Jerry Goldsmith
    • Chaplin by John Barry
    • Howards End by Richard Robbins
    • A River Runs Through It by Mark Isham
    • Far and Away by John Williams (not nominated)
    • Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (not nominated)
    • None of them
  4. 4. 1993

• Schindler's List by John Williams (Official Winner)
    • The Age of Innocence by Elmer Bernstein
    • The Firm by Dave Grusin
    • The Fugitive by James Newton Howard
    • The Remains of the Day by Richard Robbins
    • Jurassic Park by John Williams (not nominated)
    • None of them
  5. 5. 1994

• The Lion King by Hans Zimmer (Official Winner)
    • Forrest Gump by Alan Silvestri
    • Interview with the Vampire by Elliot Goldenthal
    • Little Women by Thomas Newman
    • The Shawshank Redemption by Thomas Newman
    • None of them
  6. 6. 1995 (Original Dramatic Score)

• The Postman by Luis Bacalov (Official Winner)
    • Apollo 13 by James Horner
    • Braveheart by James Horner
    • Nixon by John Williams
    • Sense of Sensibility by Patrick Doyle
    • None of them
  7. 7. 1995 (Original Musical or Comedy Score)

• Pocahontas by Alan Menken & Stephen Schartz (Official Winner)
    • The American President by Marc Shaiman
    • Sabrina by John Williams
    • Toy Story by Randy Newman
    • Unstrung Heroes by Thomas Newman
    • None of them
  8. 8. 1996 (Original Dramatic Score)

• The English Patient by Gabriel Yared (Official Winner)
    • Hamlet by Patrick Doyle
    • Michael Collins by Elliot Goldenthal
    • Shine by David Hirschfelder
    • Sleepers by John Williams
    • None of them
  9. 9. 1996 (Original Musical or Comedy Score)

• Emma by Rachel Portman (Official Winner)
    • The First Wives Club by Marc Shaiman
    • The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Alan Menken & Stephen Schwartz
    • James and the Giant Peech by Randy Newman
    • The Preacher's Wife by Hans Zimmer
    • None of them
  10. 10. 1997 (Original Dramatic Score)

• Titanic by James Horner (Official Winner)
    • Amistad by John Williams
    • Good Will Hunting by Danny Elfman
    • Kundun by Philip Glass
    • L.A. Confidential by Jerry Goldsmith
    • The Lost World: Jurassic Park by John Williams (not nominated)
    • Seven Years in Tibet (not nominated)
    • Rosewood (not nominated)
    • None of them
  11. 11. 1997 (Original Musical of Comedy Score)

• The Full Monty by Anne Dudley (Official Winner)
    • Anastasia by Stephen Flaherty, Lynn Ahrens & David Newman
    • As Good as It Gets by Hans Zimmer
    • Men in Black by Danny Elfman
    • My Best Friend's Wedding by James Newton Howard
    • None of them
  12. 12. 1998 (Original Dramatic Score)

• Life is Beautiful by Nicola Piovani (Official Winner)
    • Elizabeth by David Hirschfelder
    • Pleasantville by Randy Newman
    • Saving Private Ryan by John Williams
    • The Thin Red Line by Hans Zimmer
    • None of them
  13. 13. 1998 (Original Musical or Comedy Score)

• Shakespeare in Love by Stephen Warbeck (Official Winner)
    • A Bug's Life by Randy Newman
    • Mulan by Matthew Wilder, David Zippel & Jerry Goldsmith
    • Patch Adams by Marc Shaiman
    • The Prince of Egypt by Stephan Schwartz & Hans Zimmer
    • Stepmom by John Williams (not nominated)
    • None of them
  14. 14. 1999

• The Red Violin by John Corigliano (Official Winner)
    • American Beauty by Thomas Newman
    • Angela's Ashes by John Williams
    • The Cider House Rules by Rachel Portman
    • The Talented Mr. Ripley by Gabriel Yared
    • Star Wars: The Phantom Menace by John Williams (not nominated)
    • None of them

The JWFan Oscars continues this time in the 90's with two forgotten scores by the Academy: Hook and The Phantom Menace, what a shame...

The idea is again to organise the JWFan's own Academy Awards with the same nominees and every John Williams scores even the ones that weren't nominated.

Interesting, the 1996 musical or comedy is only the second time in all 3 polls where I've never listened to any of the 5 nominees at all, and I've never seen any of those films either

3 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

How THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION didn't win Best Original Score, is one of the greatest crimes against cinema, ever perpetrated by AMPAS.

If we're going with crimes against Thomas Newman, I'd say American Beauty is the biggest as, aside from being a superb score, it had a significant cultural impact both in terms of movies and elsewhere (sure it was sampled quite frequently and one of the iPhone ring tones is basically one of the main themes...), notwithstanding that Shawshank is a superb score. Then again, I adore his Little Women score too, which would be a worthy winner.

I don't begrudge Alan Menken his many wins in the 90s, Beauty and the Beast is a great score and the songs are some of the finest. Belle is the benchmark by which I measure all introductory songs from musicals and, I'd say that The Bells of Notre Dame from Hunchback is one of the few that comes close in times of storytelling and introducing the characters through music. From a pure score perspective, Pocahontas (which won) is even finer, but purely for the underscore, Hunchback is perhaps his best ever and the songs (aside from the unnecessarily comedic A Guy Like You) are excellent.

I don't begrudge Titanic for James Horner, but I'd rather he won for Braveheart or Apollo 13 (as I mentioned elsewhere, I think two nominations split the vote) and Jerry Goldsmith had won for LA Confidential, one of his best latter scores and for one of the few films where there was an even tiny chance of an Oscar nod. Hard to disagree he was robbed for Mulan in 1998 either. Then again, surprised nobody voted for The Prince of Egypt, probably my favourite HZ animated score (even above the Lion King). The burning bush sequence is especially wonderful and Stephen Schwartz's songs are pretty great too.

It's a shame Anne Dudley won for The Full Monty, not because of any lack of talent, but mostly because there was very little underscore and it's not far fetched to suggest that votes focussed on the (non-original) songs. I seem to remember that the music they played for when she went on the stage sounded like Rocky (and was, hilariously, conducted by Bill Conti who was probably seething). Hardly her most enduring contribution to film or TV. Elfman deserved a win for Men in Black, even if just for the brilliantly funky main theme (the body of the score is, to be fair, a bit uneven - the sequels are a bit more uniformly enjoyable). Good Will Hunting would have been a worthy dramatic score winner too.

Randy Newman got pretty short changed, Avalon is one of his best dramatic scores, although Pleasantville would have been a very worthy winner too, one of his more overlooked efforts. Surprising he didn't win for Toy Story, although he was utterly robbed not winning best song (I know that's a different topic!) for When She Loved Me from Toy Story 2 (or That'll Do from Babe: Pig in the City, which is utterly lovely and beautifully performed by Peter Gabriel, whose voice makes a perfect proxy as a more in tune, less gruff, Newman). Then again, as I've said before, I still think A Bug's Life is his most best, most enjoyable and consistent Pixar score. A swathe of memorable themes, dynamic and exciting. I always loved the song, even if it's a bit of a prototypical Newman shuffle (exactly what people who don't really know his broader work think all Randy Newman songs sound like).

31 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Hard to disagree he was robbed for Mulan in 1998 either.

Shakespeare in Love robbed everything that year: Goldsmith for Original Musical, Spielberg for Best Picture and Robert Rodat for Best Screenplay come on!

49 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Shakespeare in Love robbed everything that year: Goldsmith for Original Musical, Spielberg for Best Picture and Robert Rodat for Best Screenplay come on!

Haha yes. I mean it’s a fun film but. Yeah. 

2 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Haha yes. I mean it’s a fun film but. Yeah. 

Think it would be nice for the Academy to vote again something like one or two decades after the ceremony to see if they have the same idees of the movies

My selections in the poll are easily viewable, so I won't repeat them here.

But interesting to compare them to my favourite scores of each year:

1990: EDWARD SCISSORHANDS - Danny Elfman (not nominated)

1991: HOOK - John Williams (not nominated)

1992: ALIEN 3 - Elliot Goldenthal (not nominated)

1993: JURASSIC PARK - John Williams (not nominated)

1994: THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION - Thomas Newman (nominated, but didn't win)

1995: WATERWORLD (not nominated)

1996: THE ROCK - Hans Zimmer & co (not nominated)

1997: TITANIC - James Horner (nominated, and WON!)

1998: THE THIN RED LINE - Hans Zimmer (nominated, but didn't win)

1999: THE MUMMY - Jerry Goldsmith (not nominated - but I voted for AMERICAN BEAUTY in the poll anyway, because - as has been noted - it's one of biggest oversights in Oscar history for such a cornerstone score)

Newman should've won in 94 for Shawshank Redemption and nominated in 99 for The Green Mile (I love both of his Darabont scores). Zimmer should've won two Oscars in 98, for The Prince of Egypt (my favorite animation score from him) and TTRL, which works amazingly well in the movie.

9 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

No love for Yared.

I'm the only one who voted RIPLEY and COLD MOUNTAIN.

They're fine, but just don't reach up in that company. It's important to stress that just because we highlight some favourites, doesn't mean that we don't like other candidates in the categories. Some years, like 1994, are insanely tight because they're ALL gems in some way or another.

15 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

How THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION didn't win Best Original Score, is one of the greatest crimes against cinema, ever perpetrated by AMPAS.

It wasn't even better than VAMPIRE!

5 minutes ago, Thor said:

They're fine, but just don't reach up in that company. It's important to stress that just because we highlight some favourites, doesn't mean that we don't like other candidates in the categories. Some years, like 1994, are insanely tight because they're ALL gems in some way or another.

Well, RIPLEY was certainly superior to TPM!😡

16 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Well, RIPLEY was certainly superior to TPM!😡

1999 was a very tough year. So many great movies and scores came out that year, that people have been making articles and podcasts about it. TPM is great, but ANGELA'S ASHES is my favourite of the noms - by far. But I voted for AMERICAN BEAUTY because it's such an apparent oversight. THE RED VIOLIN is fine too, and CIDER HOUSE RULES at least has that great theme (that is repeated a little too often, in typical Portman fashion). RIPLEY doesn't quite reach up in that competition, at least not for me - even if the score is good.

But so many other great scores from 1999 that weren't even nominated: SNOW FALLING ON CEDARS, THE NINTH GATE, POSTMEN IN THE MOUNTAINS, DEEP BLUE SEA, CLEOPATRA, THE GREEN MILE, THE STRAIGHT STORY, EAST-WEST, A MAP OF THE WORLD, DURANGO, TARZAN, THE INSIDER, THE 13TH WARRIOR, THE MUMMY, BICENTENNIAL MAN, ANNA AND THE KING, SHANGHAI VICE, NANA, IL QUATRO RE, WILD WILD WEST, IN DREAMS, FIGHT CLUB, THE MATRIX, THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH, SLEEPY HOLLOW, PLUNKETT & MACLEANE, UNA HISTORIA RECIENTE, THE VIRGIN SUICIDES, TAAL, TOY STORY 2.....just to mention some.

18 minutes ago, Thor said:

1999 was a very tough year. So many great movies and scores came out that year, that people have been making articles and podcasts about it. TPM is great, but ANGELA'S ASHES is my favourite of the noms - by far. But I voted for AMERICAN BEAUTY because it's such an apparent oversight. THE RED VIOLIN is fine too, and CIDER HOUSE RULES at least has that great theme (that is repeated a little too often, in typical Portman fashion). RIPLEY doesn't quite reach up in that competition, at least not for me - even if the score is good.

But so many other great scores from 1999 that weren't even nominated: SNOW FALLING ON CEDARS, THE NINTH GATE, POSTMEN IN THE MOUNTAINS, DEEP BLUE SEA, CLEOPATRA, THE GREEN MILE, THE STRAIGHT STORY, EAST-WEST, A MAP OF THE WORLD, DURANGO, TARZAN, THE INSIDER, THE 13TH WARRIOR, THE MUMMY, BICENTENNIAL MAN, ANNA AND THE KING, SHANGHAI VICE, NANA, IL QUATRO RE, WILD WILD WEST, IN DREAMS, FIGHT CLUB, THE MATRIX, THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH, SLEEPY HOLLOW, PLUNKETT & MACLEANE, UNA HISTORIA RECIENTE, THE VIRGIN SUICIDES, TAAL, TOY STORY 2.....just to mention some.

That's the problem with all such awards, "please choose the best thing that was released during this arbitrary period of time".