Indiana Jones 4K UHD Collection

I think the Raiders DVD is ugly.  The colour grade is awful IMO. Though not exactly a match for the original theatrical colour timing,  I much prefer the look of the Blu-Ray. Though that isn’t to everyone’s taste either.

I hope they don’t screw up the 4K set.

The only one that looks different on BD is ROTLA, which has a piss yellow tint but still looks pretty good because it was a 4K remaster. TOD and LC look like they were created from the exact same Lowry Digital tapes on BD and DVD and they look good.

A funny thing I forgot to mention, is that although the films were available on Netflix up untill recently (in presumably better quality), I still went for the 2003 DVD box. Because I think like this: If I went to the trouble of buying it once upon a time, to own it and enjoy it, I might just as well play it to get my money's worth. The quality is fine enough (I grew up in the days of shoddy VHS tapes, after all).

20 minutes ago, Thor said:

A funny thing I forgot to mention, is that although the films were available on Netflix up untill recently (in presumably better quality), I still went for the 2003 DVD box. Because I think like this: If I went to the trouble of buying it once upon a time, to own it and enjoy it, I might just as well play it to get my money's worth. The quality is fine enough (I grew up in the days of shoddy VHS tapes, after all).

I find myself with the same mindset! I buy physical, yet increasingly so for films and albums that I cannot find for download or streaming.

33 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

I prefer the warmer tones of the BD to the blue/colder look of the DVD.

Lowry seemed to have a thing for colder tones.

All original sound elements were used to achieve the fully immersive Dolby Atmos mixes while staying true to each film’s original creative intent.

5 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Burtt did an amazing job on the Criterion WOTW.

I don't have surround speakers, but he manipulated the track so I had " virtual surround"!

Mind blowing.

No, it sounded terrible. Interesting experiment, but the sounds created for that film in its original mono track sound weird and distorted when stretched out to five speakers. The mono track sounded better.

Isolated scores would've been nice. These look bare bones as far as new features. I thought we might finally get deleted scenes but no mention of those anywhere. 

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

These look bare bones as far as new features.

The image itself doesn't even show all 5 discs.

Indy set comimg out on the 8th of June.

indiana-jones-4-movies-4k-uhd-blu-ray-co

indiana-jones-4k-uhd-blu-ray-back-cases.

Press release:

Celebrate the 40th Anniversary of Raiders of the Lost Ark with All Four Indiana Jones Movie Adventures on 4K Ultra HD for the First Time

Deluxe 4K Ultra HD Set Arrives June 8, 2021

HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (March 15, 2021) – Relive the unforgettable exploits of world-renowned, globetrotting hero Indiana Jones in spectacular 4K Ultra HD when the INDIANA JONES 4-MOVIE COLLECTION arrives in a new 4K Ultra HD set June 8, 2021 from Lucasfilm Ltd. and Paramount Home Entertainment.

The cinematic classic that started it all—Raiders of the Lost Ark—celebrates its 40th anniversary this year, having first introduced audiences to the man with the hat on June 12, 1981.  Forty years later, the legendary hero continues to captivate new generations of fans.

Now, for the first time ever, all four films are available together in 4K Ultra HD with Dolby Vision® and HDR-10 for ultra-vivid picture quality and state-of-the-art Dolby Atmos® audio*.  Each film has been meticulously remastered from 4K scans of the original negatives with extensive visual effects work done to ensure the most pristine and highest quality image.  All picture work was approved by director Steven Spielberg.

In addition, all four films were remixed at Skywalker Sound under the supervision of legendary sound designer Ben Burtt to create the Dolby Atmos® soundtracks.  All original sound elements were used to achieve the fully immersive Dolby Atmos® mixes while staying true to each film’s original creative intent.

The INDIANA JONES 4-MOVIE COLLECTION includes a collectible booklet with behind-the-scenes images from all four films.  Each film is presented on 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc with original theatrical trailers and access to digital copies.  The set also includes a Blu-ray™ with seven hours of previously released bonus content as detailed below:

·       On Set with Raiders of the Lost Ark

§  From Jungle to Desert

§  From Adventure to Legend

·       Making the Films

§  The Making of Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981 documentary)

§  The Making of Raiders of the Lost Ark

§  The Making of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

§  The Making of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

·       The Making of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (HD)

·       Behind the Scenes

§  The Stunts of Indiana Jones

§  The Sound of Indiana Jones

§  The Music of Indiana Jones

§  The Light and Magic of Indiana Jones

§  Raiders: The Melting Face!

§  Indiana Jones and the Creepy Crawlies (with optional pop-ups)

§  Travel with Indiana Jones: Locations (with optional pop-ups)

§  Indy’s Women: The American Film Institute Tribute

§  Indy’s Friends and Enemies

§  Iconic Props (Kingdom of the Crystal Skull) (HD)

§  The Effects of Indy (Kingdom of the Crystal Skull) (HD)

§  Adventures in Post Production (Kingdom of the Crystal Skull) (HD)

Karol

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

The set also includes a Blu-ray™ with seven hours of previously released bonus content as detailed below:

...fucking hell. The bastards tease all those apparently already scanned and documented material for ToD and TLC for a minute at the end of On Set with Raiders! "But why put actual effort in when we can just reprint the same goddamn disc? It's not like we had any time for that in those 10 years, especially this last one when the industry stopped." COME ON!

12 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Which WOTW are we talking about, here? The George Pal?

Yes.

It originally was released in limited engagements with a version of stereo sometimes called Perspecta.

It's a mono sound track with sfx directed to surround speakers.

Burtt tried to replicate this using original tapes .

At the risk of making an as of my self, but...

Eitjher I'm incredibly thick, or I am lacking the context tp understand this, but I must confess, I don't understand anything about your comment about the "On Set with Raiders" feature.

It feels it's because I'm lacking some insight (not because you would be wrong in any way).

I am just curious what you mean? Mind if you clarify?

3 hours ago, Holko said:

The bastards tease all those apparently already scanned and documented material for ToD and TLC for a minute at the end of On Set with Raiders! 

There was a teaser for what? And I'm guessing here you're referring to the bonus material on the already released, old BluRay set?

3 hours ago, Holko said:

But why put actual effort in when we can just reprint the same goddamn disc?

What effort? Isn't the bonus material on the 4K a "reprint" of the BD?

3 hours ago, Holko said:

It's not like we had any time for that in those 10 years, especially this last one when the industry stopped. 

Had time for what? What do you mean "the industry stopped"?

15 minutes ago, rough cut said:

There was a teaser for what? And I'm guessing here you're referring to the bonus material on the already released, old BluRay set?

On Set With Raiders was an hour-long piece on the bluray bonus disc with (then) brand new behind the scenes material, outtakes and deleted scene snippets. It ends with a 1-2-minute montage of the same kind of stuff from the other 3 films. Meaning they had all the material for such docu pieces for all other fims too, scanned and ready to be assembled and released. But they didn't at the time because... they didn't. And they didn't do it by now because... they didn't. But they still had to include that teaser at the end of the On Set docu just to rub our faces into it.

3 hours ago, Holko said:

But why put actual effort in when we can just reprint the same goddamn disc?

What effort? Isn't the bonus material on the 4K a "reprint" of the BD?

Yes, instead of putting in the effort to assemble and release more previously unreleased material like the bts stuff, outtakes and deleted scenes they already teased at the end of the On Set docu 9 years ago, they just reprint the bluray bonus disc with no additional features like the lazy bums they are.

3 hours ago, Holko said:

It's not like we had any time for that in those 10 years, especially this last one when the industry stopped. 

Had time for what? What do you mean "the industry stopped"?

Had time (9 years since the bluray release) for putting together new material they already teased on the bluray release, like the bts stuff, outtakes and deleted scenes they already teased at the end of the On Set docu, instead of just reprinting the bluray bonus disc with no additional features like the lazy bums they are.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Had time (9 years since the bluray release) for putting together new material they already teased on the bluray release, like the bts stuff, outtakes and deleted scenes they already teased at the end of the On Set docu, instead of just reprinting the bluray bonus disc with no additional features like the lazy bums they are.

Ah, OK, now I get it. They were teasing new 'behind the scenes' on the BD 10 years ago, and now - 10 years later -  it's still the same teaser and they still haven't put out the new 'behind the scenes' features for the other movies.

Thanks for clarifying. Your first message left me both confused and intrigued.

I have the BD-set, can't say I remember the 'tease' in question, but the Indy-films have always been some of my favourites, so I definitely would like to see more in-depth 'making of'-material for as many of the films as possible.

So yeah, couldn't they atleast have put in some extra effort in the bonus material. They sure 'nuff had the time as you pointed out. Goddamnit, now I'm getting worked up as well.

Still, probably gonna by the set though.

3 hours ago, The Big Man said:

New features? Like what? Hasn't everything that needs to be said about these movies already been said?

Yeah, I was never interested in new features.

5 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I hate to nit-pick, but...is anyone really going to buy this, for the extras, or for having three great films, in 4K?

I will only get the digital copies.

I think most studios have more or less given up on comprehensive, in-depth special features.  From their standpoint, such features were a way to entice people into the new DVD format at the time and demonstrate the disc's advantage over a videotape.

But such efforts have slowly tapered off, first by only including substantive special features on the marquee titles, to now mostly not doing it at all. Streaming is only going to accelerate the trend. If they're not creating the features as a way to sell discs, I'm not sure what the financial incentive is for them to create them at all (regrettably so).

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

Great movies, but I'm not buying them again. Blu is easily good enough. 

Aren't you the least bit curious how they'd look in 4K? It's gonna be great.

Now that Paramount is getting these out of the way, hopefully the original Star Trek movies are next.