Indiana Jones 4K UHD Collection

I am still suffering from buying this worthless 4k Skywalker Saga box.

And if buying an Indy box then I can wait until it includes Indy 5. 

For now I am fine with my DVDs.

By the way, watched Raiders again a week ago, first time with my son, and it was the first time that I realized how old fashioned this immense use of music in the movie sounds now. Meanwhile it is really unusual that there is something besides the pictures, the action and the dialogue that is worth paying attention to.

I really had a deja-vu how it was at the time in the 80s when I actually went to the cinema to enjoy the music of a movie.

15 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Yeah but....

The copycat scores- large, symphonic, bombastic- soon became tiresome.

There was only one JW.

Like John Williams copying Bill Conti's Masters of the Universe in TFA.

3 years ago or so I re-watched Disney's "The Black Hole" and realized surprised that everything they did to the movie to make it more Star Wars-ish didn't age well including the heroic overture fanfare. Apart from that, the captain Nemo plot and the atmospheric main theme and the rest of the score, good. But these laser battles, the funny robots etc. bad. 

One thing I found after rewatching Raiders after several years is how unbearably whiny I found Marion to be. For some reason I didn't pick up on it before, or my sensibilities were different, but when I watch now I find her to be insufferably annoying. All she does is scream and complain, like an unhappy fishwife, culminating in excruciating stuff like "Innnnnnndddddddy, the torch is going out!".  I don't think 4K is going to improve her character one bit, and I actually find Willie Scott to be more bearable than Marion now.

Which is exactly why some of us prefer the father-son dynamic in The Last Crusade to the Indy-and-pseudo-"Bond"-girl from either Raiders of the Lost Ark and Temple of Doom. The relationship there just feels more genuine.

20 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I'd take Marion over Willie "the biggest trouble with her, is the noise" Scott, any day. 

I don't like Willie and Shorty. Were they the first cracks in Spielberg's genius? Was he blinded by Kate Capshaw's assets? Possibly ...

I like Short Round -- especially in this day and age where such a character would not have been accepted. Willie has always been annoying, but then again that was the character's purpose to begin with. Furthermore, I'd rather have her than any of the screaming histrionics of an average Maiwenn movie.

36 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I'd take Marion over Willie "the biggest trouble with her, is the noise" Scott, any day. At least Marion sees off some thug with a frying pan.

Here's why I think I prefer Willie Scott now. At least Willie is written in a way that's true to her character: she's a girly-girl nightclub singer who doesn't like getting her nails broken or hair messed up. As @Thor said, that's how she's set up from the start, and that's how she acts throughout.  Then later when she's pleading desperately for Indy to "snap out of it" and spits in his face, the set up makes for that great character moment later, and it works.

Marion, on the other hand, is set up as this tough broad who lives in Nepal and can take care of herself, but then spends the rest of the film screaming, panicking and waiting for Indy to save her. Indy's line about Scott ("The trouble with her is the noise") is actually much more descriptive of Marion.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

I like Short Round -- especially in this day and age where such a character would not have been accepted. Willie has always been annoying, but then again that was the character's purpose to begin with.

I bet you even like Marion in Crystal Skull, Thor!

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

I like Short Round -- especially in this day and age where such a character would not have been accepted. 

Why not?

4 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Marion, on the other hand, is set up as this tough broad who lives in Nepal and can take care of herself, but then spends the rest of the film screaming, panicking and waiting for Indy to save her.

Thank you.

4 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Here's why I think I prefer Willie Scott now. At least Willie is written in a way that's true to her character: she's a girly-girl nightclub singer who doesn't like getting her nails broken or hair messed up.

I think the campfire talk and her becoming slightly more active in the fight by the end (rooting for Indy, punching a guy in the minecart) shows that she has more internal strength and a grounded worldview than you'd or maybe even she'd think, she's just comfortable with being the dumb blonde dancer when that's expected of her, and breaks down when out of her element. I love the flirting scene, that also shows she likes playing roles for the heck of it.

I think Indiana Jones should always be alone, without annoying sidekicks. 

Imagine Rick Deckard having to take care of a kid or a screaming woman all the time! It's so 1940s! 

d891a60dd7639e0e5f021bf93c15d7b9.jpg

7 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

Is he though? I'm not sure how else the kid should act or be.

I don't think so. But current sentiment will tell you that he is.

I don't think the portrayal of any of the the Indians in TOD, from the villagers to the villains, would fly today either.

In fact the whole idea of an American white male archaeologist flying around the world stealing artifacts from the poorest countries would probably result in the cancellation of everyone involved.

I think, the problem with Willie is that Steven Spielberg was so in love that he simply found marvellous everything she did, so that he didn't think about giving her any boundaries.

And Short Round, yes after E.T. in every Spielberg movie you had these kids. In E.T. it worked out well. But why did there have to be always these kids in these movies? It might be required for Hook and for Empire of the Sun. Sure. But ToD? Jurassic Park?

A movie like Temple of Doom would have been better with slaved adults than with slaved kids I think. I was 14 when I saw it, and I didn't want to see a children's movie.

Stefan was saying to me about it the other day actually, that it's probably a matter of time before Indiana Jones is cancelled, at least as far as his second instalment goes. Or will wokies settle for a straightforward warning alert at the beginning of the film, which explains to snowflakes that the film features deeply offensive stereotypes and other problematic themes from yet more bygone times, who knows. 

35 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Indy isn't a hero to the zoomer gen. Instead they look up to Daniel Radcliffe and that pale dude in the Twilight movies. He's their Indiana Jones. 

And their Batman

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I think, the problem with Willie is that Steven Spielberg was so in love that he simply found marvellous everything she did, so that he didn't think about giving her any boundaries.

And Short Round, yes after E.T. in every Spielberg movie you had these kids. In E.T. it worked out well. But why did there have to be always these kids in these movies? It might be required for Hook and for Empire of the Sun. Sure. But ToD? Jurassic Park?

A movie like Temple of Doom would have been better with slaved adults than with slaved kids I think. I was 14 when I saw it, and I didn't want to see a children's movie.

Exactly, it made it a lot more childish than the first movie. Just because the villain rips out hearts from people's chests doesn't make this a movie for adults!

3 hours ago, AC1 said:

Were they the first cracks in Spielberg's genius?

Some people consider that either 1941, or KICK THE CAN, were the first cracks in his genius.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

...the Indy/Mutt relationship..@Chen G.

Far more interesting, is the relationship that Mutt has with Oxley.

5 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

In E.T. it worked out well. But why did there have to be always these kids in these movies? It might be required for Hook and for Empire of the Sun. Sure. But ToD? Jurassic Park?

Agreed. But in Spielberg's defense, the kids were also characters in the novel of Jurassic Park

21 minutes ago, Corellian2019 said:

Agreed. But in Spielberg's defense, the kids were also characters in the novel of Jurassic Park

5 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

It's not about the children, it's about the adults, and how they relate to the children. It mirrors Spielberg's relationship with his family, especially his father.

As a kid, I didn't like the kids in JP, as with most movies. I wanted to watch adults and older kids, not little kids. I didn't even like being a kid. Nowadays, they slap little kids in to everything. 

7 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

The movie's Thuggee are made more evil by kidnapping only the children from the village instead of the adults. Granted the village adults all look like grandparents, who are useless doing hard labor.