Indiana Jones 4K UHD Collection

On a TOD thread I explained why some folks object to the film.

I laid out the history of colonialism and why that factors in.

I shant repeat it because I don't want folks with anger management issues to ' Hulk-out'.

😉

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

I have Jaws, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, E.T., Jurassic Park, The Lost World, Schindler’s List, Saving Private Ryan, War of the Worlds, Star Wars (all nine episodes), and The Patriot in 4K, and watching them in 4K has been the equivalent of seeing them for the first time. I cannot wait to get the Indiana Jones 4K set.

Are you sure you didn't just  watch them with.the dreadful Digital Noise Reduction turned ON?

😎

11 hours ago, Bespin said:

I have them on DVD and it's enough for me! I grew up watching them on TV, then on VHS... :D

I grew up watching them in cinema. You can't turn back the time. 

But I would probably buy a complete box that included the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. 

Wow @crumbs you weren't kidding, Crystal Skull looks way better than it did before.  Pretty impressive

The original trilogy looks amazing.  Guess it's time to invest in a 4K player...

4 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I grew up watching them in cinema. You can't turn back the time. 

But I would probably buy a complete box that included the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. 

The versions you probably saw in theater at the time were probably horrible and full of dust and scratches on the image!

15 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Are you sure you didn't just  watch them with.the dreadful Digital Noise Reduction turned ON?

😎

Of course that setting was off.

Three thoughts on this trailer:

1. They wisely kept the clips from the fourth "film" to a minimum.
  2. Raiders looks to be a different colour grade than the Blu-Ray set. I love the colours on the Blu-Ray, though they're not true to the theatrical release and definitely not to everyone's taste. The grading looks to be a little more naturalistic here.
  3. I'm buying this. I only wish they'd release a trilogy only set and leave the fanfic out.

And why did they use the shot of the plane flying into the tunnel from Last Crusade, when it's one of the worst CGI effects in the film? I'm normally a purist when it comes to things like this, but I wouldn't mind it if they cleaned up some of the CGI in Last Crusade. I'd almost think they'd have to, given how bad they look even in SD and HD.

Also,

22 hours ago, Jay said:

Guess it's time to invest in a 4K player...

What, Lord of the Rings wasn't enough?

9 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

CGI

Looks like weakly bluescreened miniatures to me!

12 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

What, Lord of the Rings wasn't enough?

I dunno, people seemed to have a lot of opinions on those, some saying they were better, some staying stick with the old blu rays.  Seems like there was definitely some mistakes made. I dunno.  We'll see.

One issue is I quite enjoyed eventually taking my Blu Ray player out of the entertainment center and only using the PS4 to play Blu Rays, which ended up being better than my old BD player anyway, and it's always nice to have less wires and plugs.

But I'm torn on getting a PS5 to do the same for 4K UHDs, because for one, I'd like to wait for the first hardware revision of the PS5 like I did with the PS4, and for another, I don't even know if I want to continue to invest in physical media, and might just get a digital-only PS5 with no disc slot.

Realistically, I'll probably see these new versions of the Indy flicks when they show up on Disney+.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

dunno, people seemed to have a lot of opinions on those, some saying they were better, some staying stick with the old blu rays.  Seems like there was definitely some mistakes made. I dunno.  We'll see.

A lot of the smeariness seems to be inherent to the source. A few overscrubbed shots in the 4k are miles and miles better than the green tint over the entirety of the FotR EE blu! 99.9% of the new masters look fantastic.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't even know if I want to continue to invest in physical media

For movies at least I will continue to invest in physical discs for the ones I care about always having access to.  I really can't think of a worse deal than "buying" movies digitally (which is really more of a glorified rental)

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

I dunno, people seemed to have a lot of opinions on those, some saying they were better, some staying stick with the old blu rays.  Seems like there was definitely some mistakes made. I dunno.  We'll see.

One issue is I quite enjoyed eventually taking my Blu Ray player out of the entertainment center and only using the PS4 to play Blu Rays, which ended up being better than my old BD player anyway, and it's always nice to have less wires and plugs.

But I'm torn on getting a PS5 to do the same for 4K UHDs, because for one, I'd like to wait for the first hardware revision of the PS5 like I did with the PS4, and for another, I don't even know if I want to continue to invest in physical media, and might just get a digital-only PS5 with no disc slot.

Realistically, I'll probably see these new versions of the Indy flicks when they show up on Disney+.

Disney+ not getting new 4K Indiana Jones set till 2026

;)

9 minutes ago, Holko said:

A lot of the smeariness seems to be inherent to the source. A few overscrubbed shots in the 4k are miles and miles better than the green tint over the entirety of the FotR EE blu! 99.9% of the new masters look fantastic.

Yea I was more thinking of DNR mistakes like wiping the top of Gandalf's staff out.

I see what you're saying yea; I'd likely never even notice these things while watching the flick.

I should check them out.  I haven't seen the films in a few years now.

Anyone know of the versions on HBO Max are the new editions?

9 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

I've never seen this Young Indiana Jones Chronicles are they that good?

Be warned.

Lucas conceived this series PRIMARILY as a teaching tool for history classes.

So, there is alot of exposition , not alot of entertainment.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

For movies at least I will continue to invest in physical discs for the ones I care about always having access to.  I really can't think of a worse deal than "buying" movies digitally (which is really more of a glorified rental)

Exactly!  Plus physical media almost always has way better picture and audio quality

Tod has the best endtitles by far, then Raiders, then Kotcs, and last and certainly least crusade. Sure its a better film but kotcs blows LC out of the water with its endtitles.

27 minutes ago, crumbs said:

It's as if Kaminski was drawing attention to all his lights in the older grade, and it did the film no favours (especially paired with that garish green tint). Slocombe shot the original trilogy in a stylised but grounded, naturalistic way; Temple of Doom is a perfect example of that fine balance. Kaminski just seems incapable of matching that style; he can't help but push his fantastical, dream-like photography.

Indeed. Such a big deal was made at the time of Kaminski recreating Slocombe's style for the film, but I don't see that at all. KOTCS is just another smeary, surreal, Kaminski mess like most of his more recent movies, and you're quite correct that he draws too much attention to light sources. Again, like he always does.

But given that everything about this film is a poor copy of what came before, why should the cinematography be any different?

It's such a shame that a cinematographer so invested in shooting on film, paired with a director who loves the texture of film, continue to push this heavily diffused, smeary, digital-lite photography.

Even more bizarre when you consider their earlier collaborations eschewed such a dramatically stylised aesthetic. Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan look as if the film itself was captured in the era the films were set. KOTCS (and basically everything post-Munich) certainly does not.

It's surely no coincidence this switch happened when Kaminski started experimenting with digital intermediates. Everything before KOTCS was graded photochemically on film; KOTCS was his first DI (and it shows).

Crystal Skull's an alright movie.

Kaminski may be hit-or-miss, but he's never let me down for the ones I actually care about (the American period pieces).

If Ford was younger and if The Last Crusade hadn't tied such a nice bow over the series, I'd probably a lot more receptive to it.

For sure there's nice stuff in it.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I just think talking like it's some kind of moral outrage is pretty silly.

More like crime against humanity. Or at least art.

The quicksand scene alone should probably have resulted in at least one of the Baseball Cap’s Golden Globes being taken away.

People hate on nuke the fridge, but it’s really the quicksand scene that sinks the movie.

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

People hate on nuke the fridge, but it’s really the quicksand scene that sinks the movie

This scene is awful indeed, but I believe Shia swinging on vines with some CGI  monkeys and the Russian guy being eaten by ants are much worse. 

The ants were ridiculous, but I loved them. Nuking the fridge was crazy too, but no more so than jumping out of an airplane in a freaking raft. The monkeys and the quicksand were insultingly stupid.

Ok then, what in the original trilogy do you think was as stupid as the monkeys or the quicksand? Even as a child I wouldn't have liked those 2 scenes, but it doesn't matter because I haven't lost my "child heart." If I had, I wouldn't bother watching Indiana Jones at all.