Indiana Jones 4K UHD Collection

The Ants scene works for me, even if it feels like a rehash of the scarab beetles from the Mummy films.

At least Spielberg included a couple of gnarly deaths, though 80s Spielberg would have shown the aftermath of the ants devouring the soldiers (ie, some bloodied skeletons laying around the area).

31 minutes ago, crumbs said:

The Ants scene works for me, even if it feels like a rehash of the scarab beetles from the Mummy films.

At least Spielberg included a couple of gnarly deaths, though 80s Spielberg would have shown the aftermath of the ants devouring the soldiers (ie, some bloodied skeletons laying around the area).

And then there's also an ant scene in the Mummy spinoff The Scorpion King on top of that.

9 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

Ok then, what in the original trilogy do you think was as stupid as the monkeys or the quicksand? Even as a child I wouldn't have liked those 2 scenes, but it doesn't matter because I haven't lost my "child heart." If I had, I wouldn't bother watching Indiana Jones at all.

The magical effetcs of the Alliance Ark (really?), a melting face... a wizard who removes the heart from the chest of another with his hand, a knight from the medieval era still alive and protecting the St-Graal (HELLO????)

All the Indiana Jones movies elvoves in a "plausible" reality, but with a lot of magic and surreal events.

If you don't understand that, you'll never understand anything about Indiana Jones!

4 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I don't think it has anything to do with the quicksand scene being unrealistic, just a really poorly directed sequence (IMO). Koepp's dialogue is beyond atrocious and the acting not much better. It's just... hamfisted, like mostly everything in KOCS from Peru onwards.

Exactly. You'd expect there to be a quicksand scene in an Indy movie set in the Amazon. If it wasn't there I'd wonder why.

It's the awful dialogue ("Get help!"/"Henry, good name!", etc.) and the delivery (probably the worst of Ford's career) along with the fact that both Ford and Allen look and act exactly like what they are...two actors standing in a set...that makes the scene so awful. The snake gag wasn't helping things either.

I haven't seen the film in years but I still remember how uninspired the blocking is there too. Just a thoroughly dull sequence given the "revelation" (aka the world's most predictable "twist") that occurs. Pair Spielberg's autopilot direction with that horrendous dialogue, cringeworthy acting, obvious set dressing designed to just lift and lower the actors in the "quicksand" with as little effort or damage to the costumes as possible (gotta get that lunch break in to fit Spielberg's fast schedule, so no wet mud or costume changes). Just... ugh.

And it's such a shame because if you look at other quicksand scenes done properly, this could have been an incredible sequence!

There's no reason this couldn't have been as memorable and energetic as the Bug Tunnel/Death Trap sequence from TOD. Instead, it's just... shit. At no stage is there any sense of danger. They even missed an obvious gag having the fedora go under, with Jones madly reaching back into the quicksand to pull it out (dripping in mud). Disgraceful!

tod-13.gif

I get the sense Spielberg checked out after the New Mexico and bike chase sequences were shot and lost interest (chronologically, those were shot first).

I like Indy 4.

Problem is, the few scenes that are bad, are really bad - so bad that that they end up costing the movie a lot of credibility, and it’s already in a genre that requires its fair share of suspension of belief.

If only they’d cut a few scenes, then it’d be a really good movie instead of just passable, the monkey swinging Mutt being one of them. CGI groundhogs and ants being two other.

Maybe it’s not even the concept behind these three scenes, but more the execution.

Nuke the fridge, I have no problem with though.

However, the most offensive crime in Indy 4 is that Indy wears his satchel outside of his jacket, instead of inside.

D96D3B0D-6CAB-40D8-8517-B244F0209951.jpeg

CBE8C029-7786-46E8-82DF-D5972FE607DD.jpeg

6 hours ago, Holko said:

I don't have huge issues with the fridge but I don't like this comparison. The plane raft "stunt" (quotation marks because it's only stunt dummies, not people) plays out in an uninterrupted real shot before your eyes, you see that this real prop falls out of a real plane (even if possibly not full scale), opens, slows down to touch down relatively lightly, doesn't flip over, etc. That helps sell it a lot more than crappily lit CG bounces in a bad CG dust cloud.

Doesn’t make a difference to me. Both are implausible.

11 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Doesn’t make a difference to me. Both are implausible.

Not entirely true. While Mythbusters more or less proved that jumping out of a plane with a raft would almost certainly result in a crunchy death, surviving a nuclear blast in a lead lined refrigerator, even with the crash, is scientifically plausible.

I would have thought otherwise, given that people have, miraculously, survived falling from a plane. And IMO cinematically, the raft gag "seems" more plausible. And it certainly looks more plausible. But, well then, there it is.

9 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

IMO cinematically, the raft gag "seems" more plausible. And it certainly looks more plausible. But, well then, there it is.

To me they're both around the same degree of implausibility.

Personally, I'm willing to give just about any movie a free pass for at least one implausible death-defying stunt. Apocalypto had been brought up earlier, and its about as gritty as action films ever get, and yet Jaguar Paw really shouldn't be able to outrun his pursuers for so long after having been pierced by an arrow. Likewise, in The Godfather, Vito really shouldn't have survived the shooting. In The Dark Knight, Rachel shouldn't have survived falling unto a car from a skyscraper with Batman, etc...

The raft one is pushing it because it happens twice: first the raft drops from the sky unto the mountainside, and then again off of a cliff into the river. But I'll let it slide, no pun intended. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is also pushing it simply because I'm having trouble buying this sexagenarian not necessarily surviving all these action scenes so much as going through them without throwing his back...

On 5/15/2021 at 1:39 PM, crumbs said:

I get the sense Spielberg checked out after the New Mexico and bike chase sequences were shot and lost interest (chronologically, those were shot first).

This is as far as I can get with this film before it goes off the rails. The fridge didn't bother me - the worst part up to this point is the overuse of the prarie dogs. Once was fine, but they're in it for THREE separate gags.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Naïve Old Fart said:

The shot of the Washington Monument (as good as it is) is not from RAIDERS...

Where is it from then?

11 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I bet you didn't know where to look.

What does this mean?  If you're asking if I'd ever seen the film before, no, I hadn't.  But I quickly found it because I figured they'd set up the DC location early in the film.  I just mashed the right arrow key until I saw it

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, crumbs said:

image.png

image.png

These particular two shots still look a touch too glossy for me, but I suppose it was unavoidable.

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

These particular two shots still look a touch too glossy for me, but I suppose it was unavoidable.

Unfortunately that would be baked into the lenses Kaminski actually used to shoot the film. They can fix the colour but they probably can't remove all the diffused, glossy lighting.

But at least the colour is a huge improvement and the palette is closer to the first 3 now.

Got the steelbook boxset yesterday! Can't wait to watch!

In the meantime if you want more screencaps:

• ROTLA: https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=15954&d2=15953&c=6060

• TOD: https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=15959&d2=15958&c=6062

• TLC: https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=15964&d2=15963&c=6063

• KOTCS: https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=15966&d2=15967&c=6064

I'm glad the digital fake sharpening of the blu-ray (and its aliasing) is gone. The image is overall superb!

On 5/15/2021 at 5:11 AM, A. A. Ron said:

Ok then, what in the original trilogy do you think was as stupid as the monkeys or the quicksand? Even as a child I wouldn't have liked those 2 scenes, but it doesn't matter because I haven't lost my "child heart." If I had, I wouldn't bother watching Indiana Jones at all.

He's more machine than child now.

59 minutes ago, Jay said:

Nice work with those screenshots, crumbs

Looking at the jungle chase from KOCS, the improvement is even more drastic. It looks like an entirely new sequence now, like they've toned back the CGI foliage or something.

QqbVphT.png

UZ94mVp.jpg

sV7nrs7.png

dpwXYHN.jpg

UWC1vm7.png

3fRHhJ3.png

Oo1DsbO.png

DxhDNBz.jpg

I suspect that intense green tint + oversaturation in the old master actually enhanced all the CGI elements, making everything sickly and unrealistic.

This shot is probably the best example of how grading can change the entire feel of a sequence.

DmY4KLK.png

ePV31yh.png

The top version looks absolutely nothing like an Indiana Jones movie.

11 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

This shot still looks BAD.

Absolutely, but that's what happens when you shoot half your major action sequence in front of a blue screen.

The entire opening sequence looks better now too. The rocket sled explosion actually looks quite realistic and violent now:

VaTKPnc.png

BknWhq9.jpg